UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Will Not Fail!

barkingmad

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We kept him because he's a star! Deaf from birth, came to us at 5 1/2 months from a home where they didn't know he was deaf and thought it was funny he kept escaping (brick short of a load springs to mind!) and he had MAJOR separation anxiety. He's now 3 yrs and still doesn't like a change to his routine yet is brilliant with the fosters, especially the really timid ones.

Here he is with a foster pup a year or so ago

JesterPup003.jpg

p.s. he's as mad as a hatter.... you wouldn't want him!

Edited by doggielover

We have fostered well over 30 dogs in our time, mostly quite short-term. We have failed only once with Toffee which was over 5 years ago.

It doesn't mean it is any easier for us to give them up, especially the ones that stay longer, but we know that having no more than 3 is right for us. Our fourth space is saved for fosters. We have to be totally resolute from the start that we just can't have any more. One of our main reasons is that we both work (partly different hours) and are assisted by a close friend who is our dogwalker. She has a dog of her own and coping with too many is just not fair to her.

Our longest foster has been about 4 months.

My heart has been broken time and time again but I know how much difference a foster home can make to a dog so somehow I manage to keep going.

We are fostering for Wiccaweys now and are on our 6th visitor - the stunning but shy Evan. You can read about his progress and some of the joys of fostering on the Wiccaweys forum if you wish.

Liz

Pixie :wub: If I had room, it would be a Pixie sized space :wub:

AuntSal was my first Oldies foster, and I promised Kelly I wouldn't fail. Sally had other ideas though, and did everything to blend into our family as if she'd always been here. She was the grubbiest, smelliest, knotty girl when she arrived - so straight into the bath and a very cuddly towel dry - she just accepted this so gratefully.

She didn't understand she was alowd into the house, and would wait by the garage door. Still does sometimes. She'd also lie beside, not in, a dogbed, on the tiles.

After about 3 weeks, we had an enquiry for a new home for her, and they sounded a great match. The lady was due to visit on the Monday lunch time, and all weekend I couldn't sleep. I didn't let on to my OH, because I'd promised him I wouldn't fall for her.

Monday morning, OH brought me up a cuppa in bed.

"What time they coming to see Sally then" he asked.

I told him about 1 o'clock.

"Best ring 'em then. Tell them they're not taking our girl anywhere".

:wub:

I really cannot imagine life without my Ol'AuntsallyDog.

We did then go on to foster Jake, through the Oldies. Jake is a 13 year old yorkie - with attitude :D He was with us about 8 weeksish - and we found a home locally for him, with an older lady on her own. I still get to see him regularly - but if Irene had not been so perfect for him, he would have stayed.

A cat hating, child 'just about tolerant' grumpy little man of a dog :wub: :laugh:

We then fostered a cavalier pup briefly - went to live with my mum. Then 2 labX puppies, (Hope) who found lovely homes locally too.

Then along came Laddie (Hope). A 10ish week old rough collie pup, who had a terrible start to his life.

Really, it was Sally who decided he should stay. Laddie sees Sally as his 'nanny' - they rough and tumble (well.. Laddie roughs, Sally tumbles :laugh: ).. she adores him.

What The Aunty wants, she tends to get, so Laddie stayed as well.

Sooo... I am up to 4 now, and limiting my fostering to small animals. The house count is over 20 atm :rolleyes:

I am an Oldies club failed fosterer /foster keeper although I did fight against it right to the last, but just couldn't give Todd up. It was definatly the right decision :wub:

I have been very good with the ones before and after him though even though its very hard letting them go off with their new families. I keep telling myself that you just can't keep them all, although one day it could happen again I am sure, even with Cindy telling me to "step away from the dog" :biggrin: Bruno Shortlegs was the hardest I must say, but he now has a fantastic home and he sends me letters to tell me so :wub:

Its really nice when I get updates with pictures and letters from the dogs that have been rehomed, knowing that they are happy and doing well, that kinda makes it all worthwhile.

Lynne

I am an Oldies club failed fosterer /foster keeper although I did fight against it right to the last, but just couldn't give Todd up. It was definatly the right decision :wub:

I have been very good with the ones before and after him though even though its very hard letting them go off with their new families. I keep telling myself that you just can't keep them all, although one day it could happen again I am sure, even with Cindy telling me to "step away from the dog" :biggrin: Bruno Shortlegs was the hardest I must say, but he now has a fantastic home and he sends me letters to tell me so :wub:

Its really nice when I get updates with pictures and letters from the dogs that have been rehomed, knowing that they are happy and doing well, that kinda makes it all worthwhile.

Lynne

:D It helps that I see you nearly every weekend for a walk. That way I can keep you in check :laugh: :laugh:

For all those fostering for us and fear that they could become foster keeper, repeat after me ' I will step away from the FOSTER dog', 'I will step away from the FOSTER dog'. If doesn;t help, ring me and I will make sure it works :rolleyes: :laugh:

You all know the rule, 1 out of 10 is the norm (or 30 or 40 if you are Lynne or Liz'

I fostered around 10 dogs ...all beautiful, all young, mostly very well behaved and I was happy for all to go to amazingly lovely people!

Then came Cooper, grey muzzled, wonky dodgy back legs, farty, snuffly, funny little yappy bark and very odd looking!! Of course I failed...took me a few weeks to admit it but I think the instant he curled up on the front seat of my car he had me hooked!!! :wub:

Nope! Jester was foster number 101. We don't regret keeping him for a moment, he would never have coped as an only dog and a second dog wouldn't have coped with him. Here he has a constant flow of new playmates to occupy him and he is great at getting the timid ones to play.

We lost count of how many fosters we had at around the 200 mark but guess we are up to around 300+ now.

I just wanted to let you all know Rex is fine. He went to the vets yesturday and had alot done. Well he was going to have one tooth out and have the rest cleaned. When he came back he was very sorry for himself so I gave him a small treat. When he took it out of my hand it felt like he had no teeth left! :ohmy:

So I had a look and the vet has taken out about 5 of the small ones at the front!! :ohmy: Poor Rex his mouth must have been in a right state :mecry: We thought he was sad and not eating because of everything being new but we now know that it was probly because of his mouth. Rex is fine this morning and eating like a horse :ohmy: I have given him a small breakfast and he is acting like i am starving him :glare: I'll give him a small lunch then small dinner which will add up to the same amount as 2 bigger meals he normally has. I am trying to get a photo of Rex but not sure how to do it so a friend will help at the weekend. Then you can all fall in love with our gummy old man!! :wub: