UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hydrotherapy V Not Vaccinating.

bebe

Saffy LOVED her swimming. :biggrin: Our pool was midway size between these and was round. I'm thinking of taking her back now as she has damaged a ligament in her knee and cant go out for 3 weeks. I just have to speak to the vet again in Friday to see if swimming is ok. Though she loves water she was wary the first time. After that you couldnt even get her harness of once we got in the room before she was trying to drag us in with her :rolleyes: We didnt have lifejackets just a special harness with two lines. Once each side to help her learn were to go. We used to throw toys for her to fetch and she was shattered at the end of our session. We paid £13 during the week or £16 at the weekends. :)

I'm sure Ty will love it, even if she is wary on the first day. Just take it a minute at a time :flowers:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats sounds really good!

Lindsay, i hope you don't mind me asking but how much is it to swim at the canine care centre? I would like meg to do some hydrotherapy as she is starting to get arthritis at the grand old age of 5 and i can't decide between here and the one in totton.

I wish I lived here though.....what a pool!

http://www.doggypaddle.co.uk/welcome.htm

They are lovely people, they go to my agility club. What a fantastic job that must be!

Thats sounds really good!

Lindsay, i hope you don't mind me asking but how much is it to swim at the canine care centre?

Do you know, I have no idea :rolleyes: sorry!

I didn't do anything on the desk at all, and we didn't discuss how much it was when in the pool area.

Sorry I can't help. It's a lovely pool though, I'm sure Meg would enjoy it :flowers:

I went and had a look this morning :) . When I finally found it :rolleyes: I was initially a bit wary, it was on an industrial estate and in a scruffy-looking warehouse, (I was expecting a clinic-type place), but once inside it was fine.

I was surprised at the pool size too, it looked a lot bigger in the "flesh", and John showed me and Mum how everything worked, the jets, the air, all the different hoists etc, and asked loads of questions about Ty, he was lovely, very gentle and patient in the way he spoke, and said that Ty would probably be very nervous so he wouldnt use a hoist to get her in, he,d just lift her, because the less "gadgets" used on her the better.

I took the Vets Form straight down and the vet is faxing it back to them, so Ty has an appointment for her swim at 11 on Monday :biggrin:

Get a move on Bebe - don't let the grass grow under yer feet. :ohmy:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You don't take a breath when it comes to Tyra do you?

Am looking forward to hearing about how much Tyra enjoys her swimming.

Get a move on Bebe - don't let the grass grow under yer feet. :ohmy:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You don't take a breath when it comes to Tyra do you?

Am looking forward to hearing about how much Tyra enjoys her swimming.

Nope, no time to take a breath Kathy :biggrin: . I need to tire Ty out, get her calm and relaxed, dont want to give my neighbour or anyone else any cause to thnk shes a bit "loopy" :rolleyes:

The quicker I start her swimming, the quicker she,ll be feeling less hyper, hopefully, and maybe calm enough to start going out again.

Great news Bebe, hope it goes well :)

Thanks Ange, I hope so too. :)

The quicker I start her swimming, the quicker she,ll be feeling less hyper, hopefully, and maybe calm enough to start going out again.

Just remember, each minute swimming is equivalent to 1 mile walking :wink:

Glad you got on ok and feel happy about taking Ty to the pool. If you are relaxed about it, you'll be relaxed for Ty and that will help to make it fun and hopefully stress free. Don't be disappointed if Ty only does a few minutes the first few times - I was surprised how short a time they start them off in the pool, but as they explained to me, its better to make it fun and let the dogs take their time and enjoy it :flowers:

Glad you got on ok and feel happy about taking Ty to the pool. If you are relaxed about it, you'll be relaxed for Ty and that will help to make it fun and hopefully stress free. Don't be disappointed if Ty only does a few minutes the first few times - I was surprised how short a time they start them off in the pool, but as they explained to me, its better to make it fun and let the dogs take their time and enjoy it :flowers:

It won't be plain sailing (well, I'd be surprised!!) Just take a chill pill :laugh:

Almost certainly you'll be really anxious for Ty. Try to curb your feelings. Stand back and watch and let her get on with it. Intervene, obviously, if you feel it isn't right for her but try to hold back. All dogs watch their owners reactions - be positive for her :)

As others have said, she will love it but the first lesson isn't always great so just be positive about it.

I'm quite excited for you both :laugh:

John said it would only be a few minutes the first time, and build it up gradually. He also said that a lot of owners panic a bit when they see their dog flailing around and seeming to struggle/panic ( does he know me? :laugh: ) and that if Im anxious Ty will be too, so to just be chilled, he knows what he,s doing, he wont let her drown, and that a lot of dogs hate it at first so to be prepared for that. I know she,ll be nervous, its going to be a bit of an ordeal even getting her through the door to be honest, she wont go into shops or strange houses because shes such a wimpy-girl, but Im hoping that in time she,ll grow to enjoy it. He said that after a few sessions she,ll probably walk up the ramp herself, I so hope he,s right!

I just read my post back and it seems a tad rude Bebe. Twas not meant that way, I was try to say in my stupid way that you don't dilly dally - you get on and do it. Sorry if you thought it was rude, don't suppose you did though. :flowers:

:GroupHug: Dont be silly, I know what you meant Kathy, I didnt think for a second you werte being rude.

It won't be plain sailing (well, I'd be surprised!!) Just take a chill pill :laugh:

Almost certainly you'll be really anxious for Ty. Try to curb your feelings. Stand back and watch and let her get on with it. Intervene, obviously, if you feel it isn't right for her but try to hold back. All dogs watch their owners reactions - be positive for her :)

As others have said, she will love it but the first lesson isn't always great so just be positive about it.

I'm quite excited for you both :laugh:

Exactly what John said. I know Ive got to relax and let Ty think this is fun, Im taking some toys along too (although she wont play if shes worried, but I,ll take them just incase), I,ll just to try really hard to be calm, I,ll probably feel like that over-protective Mother in the Calpol adverts, thinking "Is the water too hot/cold, is the water going in her eyes, is she too scared, what if she really panics, etc " :rolleyes: but I,ll just take a diazepam before I go (maybe Ty too :wink: )

Having just lost a puppy to Parvo, I would definitely say vaccinate. Personally I no longer vaccinate my dogs .. but I stopped when each of them reached 12 years of age or more. A life time of regular vaccinations when they joined me. Of them all only my staff cross had any reaction to the vaccination and that only in the first year I gave it to him, and it was believed to be a very minor reaction to the stuff the vaccination is contained in not a reaction to the actual vaccination itself.

In all the years of rescue we have never had a negative reaction to a vaccination with any of the dogs which have come through and you are talking many many dogs now.

I would say having watched dogs in hydrotherapy and used it for some of our rescue dogs that it is well well worth doing.

Catherine

x