UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hydrotherapy V Not Vaccinating.

bebe

Ty has stopped wanting to go out again, (since a baby in a buggy was screaming as we walked past on Saturday, she stopped dead and wanted to go home :rolleyes: ) but to be honest Im not really worried about it at all, if she goes she goes, if she doent, well...no matter, especially at the moment :unsure:

But her fitness is something Im a bit worried about, shes a bit on the porky side, and ages ago I looked into Hydrotherapy for her, then decided against it because of the need to vaccinate.

This morning though, after writing to them again, ive had a lovely e.mail back from the Hydrotherapy Centre, and it sounds as if this would really be good for Ty, not only for her weight management, but as a stress reliever and for relaxation. She loves getting in streams etc, so Im hoping she,ll like swimming (she hates having a bath though, but Im guessing thats not the same?), and Ive also been offered a reduction if she goes twice a week or more.

Its just the vaccine thats playing on my mind. I really want her to try Hydrotherapy, but if she hates it and I dont go back, and Ive had her vaccinated for nothing and she has a bad reaction, I,ll feel terrible.

I have to decide this week because theres an appointment on Friday if I want it at the centre, but I keep arguing with myself about it :wacko:

What would you do in my position? Does the benefit out-weigh the risk?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chance of Ty suffering a reaction to a vaccine arevery slim, as far as I know, where the benifits of hydrotherapy speak for themsleves.

We're hoping to get on f ours in for hydrotherapy very soon and if it helps him just a fraction - it will be worth everything :)

Would they accept homeopathic vaccinations? Or is it just conventional?

I took Bumpy swimming and he loved it. It was a great confidence boost for him around water, and seeing the jets being used to make him use his 'lazy' back legs helped loads too.

Shame going to the pool I used would be too far as the lady there is anti conventional vaccinations :rolleyes:

Edited to add: If Ty's not been vaccinated for some time, would she need to start all over again? In which case, wouldn't that mean a wait of a couple of weeks between first and second jabs?

No, I asked already Wendy, its conventional only :(

I didnt think of her having to start all over again :unsure: I,d better ask tomorrow. She hasnt been vaccinated since she was 12 months old, shes 3 now, would that mean starting over?

Wheres yours to Wendy, if I can get there without going on a motorway, I,ll give it a go :biggrin:

Just outside Devizes, so probably over an hour from Bristol :(

If Ty's not been vaccinated for a couple of years, chances are the vet would want to start from the beginnning. When Tess was here on foster she hadn't been done for a couple of years so my vets did the first vax then second a couple of weeks later.

Do you think that now Ty is all grown up she might cope with the vaccination better and decrease the risk of any side effects? If so, personally I'd be inclined to take the risk in return for the benefits of swimming.

Just outside Devizes, so probably over an hour from Bristol :(

If Ty's not been vaccinated for a couple of years, chances are the vet would want to start from the beginnning. When Tess was here on foster she hadn't been done for a couple of years so my vets did the first vax then second a couple of weeks later.

Do you think that now Ty is all grown up she might cope with the vaccination better and decrease the risk of any side effects? If so, personally I'd be inclined to take the risk in return for the benefits of swimming.

Probably she would be fine Wendy, it was George that was ill after his, so I decided not to have either of them done again, but Ty didnt really have any side-effects, except maybe a bit of an upset tummy. George had breathing problems, skin problems, was sick, and Im not convinced that wasnt the start of his Pancreatitis problem either, so I just thought "Thats it, not having them done again" :wink:

I think Im going to go for it with Ty though :unsure: Like you and Raiye said, I think its probably going to benefit her a lot and is worth the risk really. I,ll ask the vet tomorrow if she needs to start again, hopefully not though.

:flowers:

Bebe, there's a homeopathic remedy called Thuja that I know some people give at the time of vaccination* which is said to help protect against side effects. Maybe worth looking into?

*I don't know what potency or how much/when exactly it's given, but if your vet doesn't "do" homeopathy, someone like Muriel is bound to know :flowers:

I honestly do think the swimming will be a big bonus for Ty. Not only will it help keep her nice and trim, it could well help her confidence. I know with Bumpy, even though he'd been with me nearly a year, it really did help strengthen our bond and his trust in me (slightly different, with him being blind) but thinking of Ty and her issues, it might help her trust you more and in the long term be more confident going out again.

Good luck :flowers:

Bebe, there's a homeopathic remedy called Thuja that I know some people give at the time of vaccination* which is said to help protect against side effects. Maybe worth looking into?

*I don't know what potency or how much/when exactly it's given, but if your vet doesn't "do" homeopathy, someone like Muriel is bound to know :flowers:

I,ll see if I can get some of that Ange. Maybe Muriel will see this and advise? :flowers:

Thanks everyone, you really have helped me to weigh up the pros and cons, even if I dont vaccinate Ty ever again at least if I have them done this time , she can try the Hydro. She needs to be tired too, she never gets tired really and seems on "high alert" all the time, George doesnt get any rest from her, and Ive noticed shes actually worse when she wont go out and I try to give her excersise by playing ball in the garden, it seems to make her a bit "manic" :wacko: , and then its all she wants to do, all the time. At least if shes swimming she,ll be exhausting herself as well as relaxing, so maybe George (and me :rolleyes: ) can get a little bit of peace sometimes.

I hope she like it as much as Bumpy does, if she hates it I,ll be back to square one :rolleyes:

Hi Bebe,

I've done "work experience" recently at a canine hydrotherapy unit and I'd recommend checking they are members of the CanineHydrotherapyAssociation. Also, go along and have a look, talk to the staff, see how you feel, then decide on what to do further, is my suggestion :)

I'm wondering if you had Ty titre tested, would they accept that?

Lindsay

x

Hi Bebe,

I've done "work experience" recently at a canine hydrotherapy unit and I'd recommend checking they are members of the CanineHydrotherapyAssociation. Also, go along and have a look, talk to the staff, see how you feel, then decide on what to do further, is my suggestion :)

I'm wondering if you had Ty titre tested, would they accept that?

Lindsay

x

Hi Lindsay :flowers: , yes, they are members. Theyve said I can go and have a look around without Ty first and have a chat, Ive told them shes a bit unpredictable and sensitive and they said they will take it very slowly and make sure their own dogs are locked in a different room, theyre Dog Groomers too so said I could go in another door at the back, so Ty doesnt have to wait with any other dogs :)

I didnt think to ask about titre testing, I,ll do that tomorrow :flowers: