UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cosmetic Surgery

Kathyw

It's not a confidence thing with me, at my age I don't care but the straightner thing made me think again.

I have thought of it and then dismissed it many times.

I really do not like the idea of scapels round my face, I don;t care how good the person doing it is.

So to put myself through something similar when it is not neccessary would be insane.

Surgery on your brain is pretty serious! Facial surgery isn't in the same league. It is still a very scary idea but you have to appreciate that a lot of that fear comes from the biological urge to protect your face at all costs because of the major sensory bits that reside there - eyes, nose, mouth and ears. That instinct is from one of the most primitive parts of the brain. That part of the brain cannot not understand about surgical procedures, it is just the drive of self preservation (if that makes sense). So when you think about a knife near your face that part of your brain instantly cuts in and starts shieking 'NO! NO! NO!' this reaction is not always realistic to the actual risk. It is more developed in some people than others, some people can control it or set the feeling aside more than others, I find it helps me to realise what is going on. The same thing makes people hate being on their own, frightened of heights etc

Someone suggested going for the consultations as it is a last chance and that seems a good idea to me. You can back out any point.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless for medical reasons-noone is cutting my skin.

i wouldnt put my self at that kind of risk for vanity personally.

i am not someone who has aged wonderfully-i am, & look my age...but I Am that age...i can live with it.

the droops, the wobblies-i earnt every one of em...i had a good time with my body-we look after each other, we are friends, not enemies...so unless im actually ill, im letting myself & my body grow old together...

fee

Personally, I think much would depend upon how I felt about myself, and what the benefits might be of having surgery done from a practical perspective, before I could make the decision to have cosmetic surgery.

The only cosmetic surgery I have thought about considering to date relates to my left eyelid! I seem to get quite a lot of sinus problems on the left side, and already possess quite heavy eyelids. The left one especially droops naturally more than the right, and often find my sight impaired slightly by the left one drooping furthere, or even almost closing that eye, during a spell of sinusitis. I would seriously consider having that bit lifted - if only to match the right one, but my only reasons for doing so would be of a practical nature.

However, if anyone else wanted something done and that would benefit them personally as an individual, but not necessarily for the sake of someone else's benefit or desire, why not?

I would go for it.

I'm planning a facelift at 50 ish...was planning on 40 but I'm 40 next and not too wrinkly yet :)

I think it's important to get a surgeon you trust...preferably by recommendation.

If I can afford it at 50 I'll have evrything done............I wanted to go on extreme makeover but my boss wouldn't give me the time off coz she said "you're lovely how you are!"....utter bull but she didn't want me off work for weeks!!!!

unless for medical reasons-noone is cutting my skin.

i wouldnt put my self at that kind of risk for vanity personally.

i am not someone who has aged wonderfully-i am, & look my age...but I Am that age...i can live with it.

the droops, the wobblies-i earnt every one of em...i had a good time with my body-we look after each other, we are friends, not enemies...so unless im actually ill, im letting myself & my body grow old together...

fee

Couldn't have put it better :)

I would, but finances prevent it ever taking place! Plus we're talking about CS not miracles!

Kathy, like others have said, why not go see what they have to say. I know it is scarey, but don't look back in the future with "oooooooooooooo what if."

Controversial bit. If it is purely cosmetic reasons,( for looks only,) not health. Then I think that people really should pay and not get on the NHS.

Edited by greys mum

The straightener thing would be one side only and would be nhs as it is the result of the surgery/tumour.

The other side I would have to pay for.

It's not the money - but I would have to leave the babies and oh is useless with them - truth is I don't like the idea of being cut in any way unless I couldn't avoid it.

The only thing I would like done is my large portmanteau bags under my eyes but as that would involved cutting near my eyes the mere thought makes me sick, I will rent them out for travellers. :)

Controversial bit. If it is purely cosmetic reasons,( for looks only,) not health. Then I think that people really should pay and not get on the NHS.

Totally agree. You can't get cosmetic surgery on the NHS though can you? not for purely cosmetic reasons? :unsure: