UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

There are budget ways to do things, there is a thread on the horse and hound forums about money saving tips at the moment!!

Am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment, I wanted to do a dressage on the 4th September, and told mum and dad about it as they have to tow us there. Anyway, I reminded them this week about it, and it turns out they are going away in the caravan :angry: They are taking the caravan to Wales next weekend, staying for the weekend, then my brother and his g/f are staying during the week, then the following weekend they are going over there on Friday and coming back Sunday (which is when I want to go to dressage). They have said they will come back on Saturday if I 'really' want to go to dressage, but if I'm not bothered, then they'll stay till Sunday. Am a bit peeved to be honest, as I've been trying to go to dressage since April, but everything seems to conspire against me! Mum asked my brother and his g/f if they wanted to stay an extra week, but they refused (part of me thinks they said no just so that I can't go to the show, as they are both students and have nothing else to do with their time!). I can just see that if I say I really want to do the dressage, they'll make me feel guilty for ages afterwards :(

Tut got rudely interupted before by my boss :laugh:

Its a tricky one Gooster, is there anyone at the yard going or you could persuade to go and tag along with them, or someone who might take you for some petrol money and a burger? (I have been employed that way before :laugh: )

Hope you can get something sorted :GroupHug:

I am planning to ride tonight not sure if that warrants a :biggrin: or a :unsure: I think I will tack him up and then walk him in hand as we have been walking out for a week now and he seems ok with that if not exactly enthusiastic, then if he seems ok with that hop on if I find a conveniently located log or rock and ride for 10 mins hop back off and walk him the rest of the way, just needs gently gently approach I feel.

Hello all, returned from my holiday yesterday afternoon and it was reported that Milo had spent the week galloping and bucking around his field in complete boredom :laugh:

Needless to say today i was desperate to get back in the saddle so I lunged him for a few minutes before I got on and also decided to school him in his 'show jumping gear' incase he did decide he wanted to tank off :rolleyes: I needn't have bothered, he was an absolute star and didn't put a foot wrong, I even did some canter poles and he was as good as gold :wub:

Gooster its such a pain isn't it. Im on a new licence which means towing is practically impossible and there is no way I'm ever going to get my own transport. I borrow a friends lorry (which is insured for anyone 30 and above) and then try and convince someone to drive for me :laugh: I hate having to ask people and not be able to just do it myself but I have no other option :angry: Its a real pain and I totally sympathise having to battle with family to get to horsey events!!

Good boy Milo :wub: hope you had good holiday CP.

How’d Loki get on tonight :unsure: hope hes ok.

Gooster had a nosey on horse and hound, my goodness it’s a fast moving board.

Hope you get to the dressage, how frustrating for you.

Yeah don’t get giddy, I soooooo want this to work out and hopefully with my friend and I house sharing it might, I do get carried away with my thoughts of Magic being mine, silly I know but cant help it :rolleyes: So envious of you all with your own horses :angry: :laugh:

Had a flatwork lesson today, jumping on Wednesday. Next flatwork lesson we are going to try leg yielding and turn on the forehand, should be interesting.

It is very annoying not having the independence to get to shows! I wish I had bought my car's bigger brother, so then I could do my towing test and tow the trailer. As it is, my car can just about tow the trailer with Blue in it, but legally we have to be able to tow full capacity :angry:

There is a show the week after on the 11th, which I am supposed to be competing with the dogs on, but the running order may mean the boys are racing on Saturday, which means I can't go. Which then means I can dressage on Sunday.

Leg yield is fun, Blue loves leg yielding to the track, but struggles yielding away from it. Just keep inside leg on and look where you want to go and it's pretty straightforward!!

So envious of you all with your own horses :angry: :laugh:

Honestly :unsure: with all the problems we have :laugh: You will join us soon I can feel it in me bones :biggrin:

Well I am going to say cautiously that I think Loki might be feeling feeling better :biggrin:

I took him out for a walk all tacked up and he was happy enough although was slipping all over the place his trusty refit shoes had finally given out. Now have to admit my horse may be a walking disaster but he has the soundest nature :wub: I didn't think twice about stopping out on route lining him up to a mounting block (someone garden rock opps sorry :blush02: ) asking him to stand with a bright yellow rumble strip between front and back legs and hop on after him having six weeks of nothing on his back!

I literally sat on him for 3 mins but wasn't happy with his slippery footing so hopped off again but in that time I do think he felt happy and enthusiastic, and I had a big smile on my face so I must have felt something good , and he almost looked a bit confused when I got off again :laughingsmiley:

He was also quite petulant with the farrier this morning and went off across the field like a rocket, I will be lucky if all shinny new shoes are still on tonight :rolleyes:

Tuesday is his night off, so hopefully will have another play on Wednesday and keeping everything crossed we might have made a breakthrough

:angry: just opened my delivery. The mane and tail conditioner is missing and a button is missing off my jacket :angry: Tried to call them 5 mins before the office closed and I was on hold for 5 mins then it cut off. Tried calling back and the lines were closed :angry:

On a more positive note I ordered 2 sizes of jodhs as I wasn't sure if my fat bum would fit in the smaller one, anyway, it does :biggrin: So I have to return the bigger ones (or keep em for if I have a fat day!!)

So envious of you all with your own horses :angry: :laugh:

Its not all its cracked up to be :laugh: Nah I'm joking, Milo is my world and I adore him and wouldn't swap him for the world but there are days (mostly in the winter) where I wish I could just stay in bed :laugh: Having a horse, especially on DIY (even grass livery) is really hard work. I probably spend about 10% of my time riding and 90% of the time doing yard duties - feeding, grooming, mucking out, poo picking, scrubbing buckets, sweeping the yard, tidying the feed room, preparing hay, cleaning tack etc etc. If you do decide to go down the Magic route I would start asking questions about his previous health history etc and ask if they would mind you getting him vetted. I would also ask the school if they would be willing to let him go with any tack. When I bought Milo he came with nothing (not even a head collar) and I've probably spent near on a couple of thousand kitting him out with just basic items so thats something you may potentially have to budget for.

Also EAD, I was on holiday when you were asking about keeping horses out through the winter so couldn't respond but I will give you my experiences. Both my last 2 horses (Earl and Milo) lived out all through the winter. Earl was a TB X and Milo is obviously a cob and both were fine. I would say along as you have appropriate feed, rugs (a mixture of turnouts of varying weights that you can swap whilst others are drying) and lots of natural shelter so they can get out of the wind/rain/snow they will be fine. The only thing to watch out for, especially with cob types (although any horse can get it) is mud fever. Last year Milo's field turned into a mud pit during the winter and I was constantly worried about mud fever as its a nightmare if they get it. I would also say, grass livery only works if your yard has sufficient grazing. We learnt very quickly last year that our place was definitely not big enough so the grass disappeared more or less before the winter had even started and then we had to deal with lots and lots of mud and spending hundreds and hundreds on hay to sustain them. For that reason I have made the decision that this winter I will be bringing Milo in overnight, to try and save the ground/grazing a bit and to let him get out of the mud. I have always sworn not to have a stabled horse but I refuse to have another winter like the last one!! I HATE MUD!!

Hope you get to dressage on 11th.

What sounds straightforward will probably mean we wont be able to do it :rolleyes:

Bit sloppy of Robinsons, hope you get it sorted out quickly.

I love getting parcels, would sooooo like a new hat, new back protector and new breeches BUT I don’t NEED them so im not.

:thumbsup_still: for Loki, glad hes feeling bit better and I hope he still has all shoes on in morning.

CP he only came to the yard back in May (I think), from sales so im not sure how much they would know about his previous history, I assumed vetting was something that everyone did, I would certainly want to. He has a bridle of his own but different saddles are used so would need to buy one along with everything else.

I like the thought of horses being out over the winter and not stuck in the stable but then I think of cold, wet, windy nights and think how unpleasant that sounds but they’re horses and as you said if they are well rugged up with shelter would be ok.

I think they offer grass livery all year, certainly have plenty of land but hopefully going to chat to instructor on Friday after lesson about costs etc, get clearer picture in my head.

I have a brand new riding hat just sitting around one of the modern vented hats not velvet or skull cap.... my sister gave it to me because its too big for her and its too big for me its a 7 I think...its never been used

Hope you get to dressage on 11th.

What sounds straightforward will probably mean we wont be able to do it :rolleyes:

Bit sloppy of Robinsons, hope you get it sorted out quickly.

I love getting parcels, would sooooo like a new hat, new back protector and new breeches BUT I don't NEED them so im not.

:thumbsup_still: for Loki, glad hes feeling bit better and I hope he still has all shoes on in morning.

CP he only came to the yard back in May (I think), from sales so im not sure how much they would know about his previous history, I assumed vetting was something that everyone did, I would certainly want to. He has a bridle of his own but different saddles are used so would need to buy one along with everything else.

I like the thought of horses being out over the winter and not stuck in the stable but then I think of cold, wet, windy nights and think how unpleasant that sounds but they're horses and as you said if they are well rugged up with shelter would be ok.

I think they offer grass livery all year, certainly have plenty of land but hopefully going to chat to instructor on Friday after lesson about costs etc, get clearer picture in my head.

Annies turn :rolleyes: :rolleyes: shes got a scabby back leg :unsure: dont know what going on but it looks like shes also peed off Fern who has booted her , same leg of course :rolleyes: Luckily mine are barefoot so no big damage but you can see slight hoofprints.I've bathed and scrubbed it in hibiscrub and put sudocream on , she looks like she has a skewbald leg now :laugh: Shes not lame at all which is a good thing but dont know what has caused the sudden scabbing all in the same area. Must confess though that i've been doing a lot of work in the fields to the fencing so they hadnt been groomed or checked over properly the previous two nights, that'll teach me wont it. Kick marks were definatly yesterdays work though. At least my fencing is all good now :rolleyes: and at this rate they'll all be to knackered/ill to escape anyway!!

Edited by collies r best