UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

:GroupHug: for Bumble.

Does anyone know any good herbs for claming horses down? My colleague who has Bradley is having real problems with him atm. She has had to separate him from Kiki pony and he is being really naughty! She is almost at the stage of thinking he may have to go as she is losing confidence with him. Either that or perhaps a behaviourist/communicator?

She is going to get someone in to go back to basic lessons with him, but she cannot afford to have him just as a companion and she would like to be able to ride him again.

I have used topspec calmer and magnesium on Blue. Both worked really well. However the biggest improvement in his behaviour was with more turnout and good quality hay instead of haylage.

Treated myself to some new boots today, got ariat glacier boots with £50 off :) Also bought blue a premier equine fly sheet.

Well ive had an eventful and terrifying morning...

Took Milo out for a nice ploddy hack, just did a few walks and trots here and there. He was a bit on his toes but nothing major. We were heading down the bridlepath which heads straight down towards the main road when a cat jumped out of a bush infront of us. Milo was terrified and took off in a gallop towards the main road. I couldnt stop him, I tried turning him a few times but nothing was happening and I was aware that the road was coming up very quickly. We got to the road and knew id have to make one of 2 choices - a) turn him suddenly along the road and risk him falling over or b) riding him straight into the bush on the other side of the road. I went with riding him into the bush. I came off, we both just landed in a heap in a bush. A car stopped and luckily it was a lady who owned horses herself. Ive got a few scratches and Milo has probably got about 20 scratches on his face where he propelled himself into the bush and hes got one huge gash along his side. Fortunately its not deep enough to need vetinary attention.

:mecry:

:ohmy: tons of :GroupHug: , thats terrifying :GroupHug:

Bumble has not done much in improving. In fact judging by the state of him and his stable [plus a jittery Annie] i think he fell or tripped badly in his stable overnight :rolleyes: He was very stiff and reluctant to move but a sachet of danilon sorted that and i've decided to leave them out tonight. Farrier has been and ruled out laminitis but Bumble has a slight lammi stance and walks like one..very confusing but no heat, raised pulses etc in his feet.

Poor Bumble :GroupHug:

I've ridden Blue again tonight, again he wasn't right, so have sent a message to our physio to ask her to come out and see him. Not sure whether he was feeling a bit lazy as it has been quite warm today, but I don't want to nag him if he is broken. Hopefully she can come out next week.

Dont want to be alarmist (is that even a word) but maybe some bloodwork might give you a better clue?....this happened to my firneds horse...he be came lethargic and idle... only as a last resort did she get bloods done... turned out he was poisoning himself by eating the Privit Hedge....

Poor Bumble :GroupHug:

I've ridden Blue again tonight, again he wasn't right, so have sent a message to our physio to ask her to come out and see him. Not sure whether he was feeling a bit lazy as it has been quite warm today, but I don't want to nag him if he is broken. Hopefully she can come out next week.

Really hope Bumble starts to improve, if its nothing laminitus related then perhaps he will benefit from staying out :GroupHug:

Gooster has Blue been okay inbetween times? I only ask as Loki really seems to be suffering with something heat related (probably pollen) as soon as it gets warm his respiratory rate during work rises a bit more than usual and he becomes tired quicker, put a jump up and he forgets all about it so don't think it too extreme but just enough for him not to be his usual forward keen self when doing more boring things. I was going to speak to my vet but then the weather cooled and he has been back to normal, but since its got warm in the last few days he's started again.

Dont want to be alarmist (is that even a word) but maybe some bloodwork might give you a better clue?....this happened to my firneds horse...he be came lethargic and idle... only as a last resort did she get bloods done... turned out he was poisoning himself by eating the Privit Hedge....

:ohmy: hadnt thought of this..Bumble is well known for raiding hedges and trees and i have to fence them off. I'll discuss this with vets asap, thanks :flowers:

Thanks for all hugs and thoughts :flowers:

He hasn't been as 'sharp' and spooky as usual, but again I have just thanked my lucky stars for that one. He also seemed really bothered by the flies last night, despite being covered in fly spray. If my physio doesn't come up with anything, will look into getting bloods done.

Its been awful today. After Bumble fell in stable i've left them out and its helped, hes been more relaxed and last night trotted on his own although very lame. Great i thought then drove into field this morning to find Bumble lying on the track :mecry: He obviously felt good, broke my new wire, mucked around, ate lovely grass and now has lammi in all four feet :mecry: Vets have rushed down as Bumble was literally groaning in pain and i thought he was a pts :mecry: Vets want to give him another 24/48 hours, hes now in stable high on pain relief. I am devastated and feel i'm losing him, the vets have advised me to sort something out for Annie either a move lined up or a companion. I dont want to loose my boy but i've got to face it :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: