UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

How exciting Gooster :)

Milo has got a nice new heavyweight turnout to wear tonight...hope he appreciates his expensive new pjamas :laugh:

I had a brillaint schooling session with him this morning, I havnt ridden him in the school for a while (been lungeing and hacking instead) so wondered what he'd be like. He was fab, didnt put a hoof wrong. He stayed at my speed (even after we'd cantered) and I didnt feel in the whole half and hour that he was trying to pull or yank me. He's doing really well with his stretching and I deinfately think hes working lower. I came out of the school grinning like a chesire cat :biggrin: It really feels like we've gelled now and understand each other. What a star boy :wub:

Milo you spoilt boy, hope you are nice and warm in your new jamas!

Banner has found the internet!!!! Would you believe I bought her a lunging roller and side reins, they are just so cute, like toys really, everyone on the yard thinks I'm bonkers. :biggrin: I put the roller on tonight, Banner was not impressed but sold her soul for a carrot. I must admit it did look a tad bizarre, her big bell pushes it forward, may have to get her a crupper. Now that will be fun to put on!

Milo you spoilt boy, hope you are nice and warm in your new jamas!

Banner has found the internet!!!! Would you believe I bought her a lunging roller and side reins, they are just so cute, like toys really, everyone on the yard thinks I'm bonkers. :biggrin: I put the roller on tonight, Banner was not impressed but sold her soul for a carrot. I must admit it did look a tad bizarre, her big bell pushes it forward, may have to get her a crupper. Now that will be fun to put on!

We demand photos!!!

Second the call for photos :biggrin:

I am sending please don't snow vibes, I have a dressage lesson on Saturday which I have been looking forward to for weeks, I travel to her and won't risk it if its snowing (coz I am a wuss :rolleyes: ) so it must not snow especially before Saturday night. The weather forecast keeps changing so go from optimistic to much grumbling :laugh:

So pleased to hear you have a moving date Gooster :flowers:

Edited by Clare

No snow anywhere except on christmas cards, I hate the stuff!

I have abandoned my plans for driving Banner, I'll lunge and long rein her and probably do a bit of local showing. I spent ages last night looking at vehicles of various types, some in the region of two grand!!!!! :wacko: Then I got on a website that advertises a lot of driving horses, nearly bought this unseen:

Super, genuine 14hh driving horse, seen the heaviest traffic and doesn't bat an eye, good to shoe etc, has been ridden regularly by a 12 year old child. First to see will buy.

18 months old!!!!!!!

Sadly it was a colt and they are not accepted on the yard, can't believe anyone would do that, poor little pony! :mad:

Apart from spitting feathers at the above there were loads of pictures of mini shets for sale as driving turnouts and the image of adults squashed in tiny little carts with tiny little ponies stuck in front made me feel sick. Not that I would have ever expected Banner to pull me anyway but it just all seemed so WRONG!

Banner and Lilli can have fun being pretend show ponies, then I can buy more dinky little show rugs too! Next time a have a few days off I'm going to do a photo shoot and bombard you all with pictures.

Shetlands are tough and hardy, they can withstand the cold because of their heavy coats

NOT!

Got to the vard yesterday, all three were in the field, the minute they saw me they picked their way across the frozen waste to the gate and fixed me with 6 baleful eyes.

We want to come in said Monty, that's right added Banner, I don't know who made him the spokesperson but I do for once agree.

I'm cold whined Lilli, cold, cold, cold. Stamps tiny little hoof!

But you're Shetlands I said, you are bred to be hardy!

That, said Banner, is a an old wives tale, Shetlands need comfort, i.e stable and haylage, now open the damn gate!!! She's right Monty grumbled, if you're so keen on the field you have it, now OPEN THE DAMN GATE!

I opened the gate, cue a mini stampede of dinky hooves and flying manes as they legged it round to the stables.

You'll be wanting rugs on next I said to no-one in particular, well, now you mention it said Banner from deep within a pile of haylage.

Hoot of laughter from Monty which he rapidly turned into a snort!

Wimps!

Edited by Pendlewitch

:laugh: Very sensible wimps :D

Just checked the forecast and it seems we are in for heavy snow tonight and tomorrow, oh joy :rolleyes:

Do you guys still turn out in snow? Last year the yard we were at banned turn out and to be honest it was managed badly and the yard was too dangerous to venture of the stable for about 2 weeks, not something I want to repeat! Where I am now it will be safe to get to the field and would like him out at least for a couple of hours but am worried about the snow balling up, I tried vaseline last time and it didn't work. Someone suggested WD40 but not sure that will be good for the foot :wacko: Wondering now he has bar shoes will that help or hinder?!

Aww poor cold shetty's :wub:

We turn out in the snow....thats mainly because all the horses at ours are out 24/7. We do have 5 stables we could use but we just keep them out. I remember turning Earl out into the snow last year when he arrived and he just rolled and rolled in it - he loved the snow. Bless him. Preparing for heavy snow tonight and tomorrow!!

Had a really nice weekend down the yard, did lots of little chores ive been meaning to do for ages. I had another lungeing lesson with Milo and my instrcutor was full of praise (makes a first :laugh: ). She said already hes starting to change shape and working in a much softer shape so she said ive been doing well. She now wants me to introduce trotting poles on a circle when lungeing to encourage him to look down and extend. We tried it in the lesson and he got the hang of it very quickly. On sunday we went for a nice hack and my boyfriend cycled with me. Milo didnt bat an eyelid. We did some short trots and he wasnt strong/rushy at all. Very pleased :)

Our sand school has frozen up already, was hoping to do some lungeing this evening but its like concrete in there so doubt i'll get anything productive done for a while :( The school will be certainly be out of bounds for jumping now which im sure will disgruntle the younger sharers at the yard who come at the weekend and zoom around on the ponies with no regard for their fitness or state of the ground :rolleyes:

Good luck today with the move :flowers: Think of all that lovely turnout Blue will enjoy and you can always go back if it doesn't work :GroupHug:

I was expecting our school to be solid last night but it was ok enough for a light bit of schooling, though when all this snow and sleet freezes tonight I think it will be out of action until the weather thaws :rolleyes:

Well we have moved. Wasn't sure it was going to go ahead as we had 6 inches of snow this morning. However dad had the idea to move his stuff in the trailer first and if there were problems, we'd not move him today. However the defender coped well (thanks to snow tyres!!) and we made the decision to move him today. I set up his stable with a warming brew from my new yard owner and then went back to get him. He travelled really well and when I got him out he walked straight into his stable and to his haynet!! Taking mum back to the farm when she gets home so she knows where the water etc is for tomorrow when she does him!!! Will try and get new piccies of him soon!!!