UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I'm not getting into the 'I remember' thing, some of the stuff is just so long ago it has whiskers! :laugh:

Clare, if Loki is scouring it's not enough fibre, I say you are the right track with the cubes. Your saddler sound a complete muppet, how on earth can they refit a saddle without seeing it on him and taking a template. I'd be writing to the MD!

I have one of those squidgy things and I template Wanda once a month as she morphs into different shapes on a regular basis.

Shetland Banner and Baby Lilli had their feet done today, Sam had to sedalin Banner as the farrier ended up wearing her last time and she gets so stressed she hyperventilates. (Banner, not Sam) Have not heard from Sam yet so it could have gone either way! Bonkers shet or sleepy shet!

Its funny, i found that things changed so much even just between the years I had 'off' from horses. Probably 2003/2004ish to late 2009, so 6-7 years? At the yard where I had a chesnut mare on loan in 2003/2004 we had chaff and then everything else was straights. None of the horse rugs had necks on, and you either had a stable rug or a new zealand turnout. Then when i re-entered the world of horses last year I couldnt believe the vast array of rugs and complete foods and things like balancers. It really has changed!

Tried some schooling with Milo tonight with everything in mind from my lesson on Saturday. I find it so hard to rise to my own speed of trot and not just follow him. I have to use every inch of brain power and say 1,2 1,2 1,2 to myself continualy :laugh: I think that my version of a nice steady trot is too slow for him, when he achieves the speed I want he tried to break back into walk. Or maybe hes being a lazy git because he has to work harder going slower. Will keep trying!

I put Milo back in a loose ring snaffle with a french link and noticed this evening he was working much longer and lower and much less leaning :)

Edited by cabbagepatch88

Clare, if Loki is scouring it's not enough fibre, I say you are the right track with the cubes. Your saddler sound a complete muppet, how on earth can they refit a saddle without seeing it on him and taking a template. I'd be writing to the MD!

Yes I think that is the problem, he won't eat the fibre he needs, even on a good day he doesn't eat the amount of hay a horse his size should do, hence why so much excess water. He loves these FF cubes and no scouring today, so keeping everything crossed we may after 5 years have found a solution (though not holding my breath :laugh: )

I already complained to the MD about the service and got a snotty email back from him, I know I should kick up a fuss but just want nothing more to do with them really. I gave the saddle a good going over last night and think to my untrained eye the panels look completely odd at the back of the saddle :unsure:

I found a lovely sounding saddler but she is full booked until December (says it all really!) but she is in the area on Friday and has gone away to think if she can manage to juggle things and get to see me, she probably won't be able to do the work on site but can send it back to me, as she has done with others on the yard and they have been really pleased with her, so keeping everything crossed she can come otherwise I am going to have to use one of the dodgey local people :rolleyes:

Hope Banner's feet got done okay :wub:

Glad you got the tack sorted for Milo, definately asking him to work as you want now is far more hard work for him than bombing round, must be a shock to him bless :laugh:

When you have the saddle assesd by the new lady.... Id report the other Compamy to Trading Standards... who knows they may already have a list of complaints against them.....

Yes I think that is the problem, he won't eat the fibre he needs, even on a good day he doesn't eat the amount of hay a horse his size should do, hence why so much excess water. He loves these FF cubes and no scouring today, so keeping everything crossed we may after 5 years have found a solution (though not holding my breath :laugh: )

I already complained to the MD about the service and got a snotty email back from him, I know I should kick up a fuss but just want nothing more to do with them really. I gave the saddle a good going over last night and think to my untrained eye the panels look completely odd at the back of the saddle :unsure:

I found a lovely sounding saddler but she is full booked until December (says it all really!) but she is in the area on Friday and has gone away to think if she can manage to juggle things and get to see me, she probably won't be able to do the work on site but can send it back to me, as she has done with others on the yard and they have been really pleased with her, so keeping everything crossed she can come otherwise I am going to have to use one of the dodgey local people :rolleyes:

Hope Banner's feet got done okay :wub:

Glad you got the tack sorted for Milo, definately asking him to work as you want now is far more hard work for him than bombing round, must be a shock to him bless :laugh:

Edited by grace

My mare had white over reach petal type boots, what WAS i thinking? :laugh: i remember the noise they made too!

She also had 2 new zealand rugs, a jute (with roller, best rug ever), one quilted stable rug, an exercise sheet (dayglo) and a summersheet/sweat rug, which was masta and fab!

And of course we had sugar beet and pony nuts.dodson and horrel course mix, i still remember the smell, loved it!

And drop Nosebands! whatever happend to them.....

My mare had white over reach petal type boots, what WAS i thinking? :laugh: i remember the noise they made too!

She also had 2 new zealand rugs, a jute (with roller, best rug ever), one quilted stable rug, an exercise sheet (dayglo) and a summersheet/sweat rug, which was masta and fab!

And of course we had sugar beet and pony nuts.dodson and horrel course mix, i still remember the smell, loved it!

Sadly the drop noseband went out of fashion classed as ugly I think, I believe they are very effective and much kinder than the fashion item now of flash noseband on everything regardless if they need it or not :rolleyes:

Nice new saddler coming out tomorrow afternoon, she has rearranged all her day around so she can help, sounds promising!

Well done Banner and Lilly :wub: and sedalin :laugh:

New saddler sounds fab!!!

Blue's saddler has said that there is lots she might be able to do to his saddle, but am trying to figure out whether to get her now, or continue with his weight loss plan and get her in a few months. Then there is the problem that he might not change shape that drastically as most of the weight he is carrying is under his belly as opposed to on his shoulders and back. She's on holiday till tuesday so might give her a call and discuss options.

Am also wondering what to do about calling the yard owner at the nice farm I went to see a couple of weeks ago. She said she'd call me if she gets a stable, but also gave me her number so I can call her. I don't want to appear to be pestering her, but also don't want her to think am not interested. Never had to be on a waiting list before, so not sure of the etiquette!!! I also don't want to drive her mad, otherwise she might just not bother to call when she does get a stable as she might think I'm high maintenance!!!

Had another interesting lesson today, we did jumping. He was excited but controllable :laugh:

I made the mistake of letting my instructor ride Milo today. She said that what i was describing looks totally different from the ground so she wanted to try for herself. She said hes still reasonably green and just wants to go go go but what concerns her is the way he just sets his neck and has no respect for half halts. I guess thats due to being ridden in a Pelham. He actually took off with her in canter at one point (as a rebellion to actually being made to work properly) and she struggled to get control of him again. So she says ive got no breaks and as hes not a 'seat ridden' horse ive got to do something else :rolleyes:

Her advice is that although he is sharp and responsive, he just sets his neck and chomps down on the bit and then youve had it. So she wants me to try out a stronger bit to regain the control a bit more for a few weeks before putting him back down to a snaffle. She's given me a bit to try...its some type of gag...but a thick one with a french link so its not too bad. She just basically wants him to 'come back' to me more than he currently does before doing any more with him. She described him as Tim Nice but Dim - thinks he knows his job so hes just going to get on with it regardless! She also said that his outline is completely superficial and that he has no muscle over his topline although his hindqauters are well developed so ive got to get busy and do some decent lungeing with him to build up the muscle in the correct places again.

She said he'll be a 'good project' :laugh: I didnt really think he was that bad but...ho hum...

Umm, first off I'd have a good look at his mouth before putting a thick bit in, if he has a small or fleshy mouth he will struggle with it. Also it takes two to pull so if you don't pull than he will rethink it too. From the orginal vid I did feel he was up and tight and needs to lengthen his frame. That does mean encouraging him to take the contact forward, putting progressively stonger bits will make him either backward thinking or more up and tight. The way I would go is constant transitions and rein changes, never staying in the same pace or direction for more than half the school and riding with a wider hand. I'd leave the jumping out for a while.

I hope you don't mind my comments, slap me with a wet fish if you want to! :biggrin:

Where are the pictures?

Pendlewitch you are right - we had quite a lengthy discussion about it. Its a catch 22 situation because he needs to relax and lower his frame but at the moment he just sets his neck and is quiet unresponsive to half halts so needs smething extra. If you throw the contact away he gets faster and faster and its ridiculously difficult with him to slow him with the seat, and the more you pull the more he pulls. So open to suggestions :)

How about a myler combination, it does looks fairly bondage but it acts on the nose as well as the mouth and has multiple different ways of using it and is not severe. YO Sam uses it occationally with huge, tank like, incredibly strong but sensitive Obe when he just needs a reminder who is in charge and she has very good results.

Also if you have light hands a Waterford has its place, because it is made of multiple links there is nothing to grab or lean on. Sam does use this when doing canter work in the field with Wanda who can do awesome bucky bugger offs! I don't use this one as I have a tendancy to fix my hands and don't have Sam's sensitivity.

Some trot pole work may help encouraging him to look down and lengthen.

I have a myler combination bit for Blue, I used to use it as my hacking bit as it gave me more brakes. Just the slightest squeeze on the reins is all you need and he'd stop straight away.

Had a lesson on him today, he didn't put a foot wrong, and we just worked on lots of walk/trot/halt transitions. I still felt like he could have tanked with me at any point, but I think that is probably because I have lost my trust in him at the moment after last week.

I was chatting to my instructor and I asked her if she would travel to teach me, which she would. I told her about the new farm set up and she said that sounds ideal and perfect for Blue.