UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Had to take some pics of Rolo for saddler today - so am going to bore you with at least 1! :rolleyes: I was so pleased with him this morning - it was bedlam on the yard, but I had to wash his tail as it was gross. Apart from 1 very minor wobbly he stood by the shower as good as gold - ignoring all the comings and goings - I was so pleased with him.

I then took some piccies of his saddle - with no pads of any description - definite tip backwards, then with riser pad and saddle cloth - looks too high! :rolleyes: So, just went for a very quite pootle in theschool - he was such a good boy despite his field mate calling for him. (even if it did become a battle of who could be the most stubborn to get him to stand by the mounting block! I am more stubborn than he is!! :rolleyes: :biggrin: )

This is him just having had his tail done - as you can see the rest of him is a total disgrace, but it was too cold to tackle that!!

2008_0126_113549AA.jpg

I then turned him out - Nemo and Bonnie were both fast asleep in the next door field - Bonnie was lying down and Nemo was stood close to her - unfortunatel too far away for me to get a decent pic, but I liked this one of when they had both just woken up - the first thing they did was go up to each other :wub:

2008_0126_122202AA.jpg

And this is Rolo coming to see what his Mum was up to! :)

2008_0126_122444AA.jpg

(Don't you just love the hideous spotty rug!!)

Blimey everyone's been busy - since I finished work last week, I've had no internet access as our home puter is broken (am at parents now!)

Had a lesson on Blue on Wednesday from Kath's instructor, and she was fab, built my confidence so much - she couldn't believe how good my position is considering I have only been around horses (albeit irregularly) for less than 12 months!! It's Blue's first dressage tomorrow, K is riding him, so hopefully he'll be a good boy and not be a spanner!!

After last weekend's episode with Merlyn's colic and having the vet out to him for the first time, other than for routine things, I wondered what this weekend might bring. :lol: Well, on Saturday I learned something of Bronnie's past when the woman who bred her called at the neighbour's yard - and it seems she isn't out of a section C mare at all!

Apparently, the woman bought Bronnie's dam from a dealer who intended selling her for meat, and despite her being in foal. She named the mare Holly, as it was near to Christmas when she had her. It seems that Holly is a little dark bay pony mare of only about 11.2hh and that she has a blaze similar to Bronnie's, also that she had been running out on an old coal tip with a 13.2hh coloured cob stallion. When Bronnie was born, she was originally named Flicka.

She was sold, along with several others, when the lady lost a large proportion of her grazing and was left with no choice but to cut down on the number of ponies she had. She was really pleased to learn that Bronnie had ended up with me.

I'm not sure if Bronnie recognised her, but she certainly came to the gate and said hello. The woman is hoping to keep in touch and says she'll be interested to see how Bronnie develops. Apparently she has an older, full sibling, a coloured pony that shot up as a two years old to make over 13hh, and was also quite cobby like their sire.

The woman said she would sort out some photos to show me.

This is him just having had his tail done - as you can see the rest of him is a total disgrace, but it was too cold to tackle that!!

2008_0126_113549AA.jpg

What a great picture of him, he's a big lad now by 'eck! I can see why you have saddle fitting issues though, with him being short in the back and rising up so quickly the length of a lot of saddles will cause problems, I do hope you get him sorted out soon! His rug is lovely, keeps him in touch with his femine side! :laugh:

AlTRPD, glad Merlyn is fine again and how nice to have found out so much about Bronnie. The previous owner must be so happy to find her in such a good home.

Edited by Pendlewitch

I was very impressed with your position and confidence as well Jayne! I certain wasn't up to your standard after re-starting riding after 15 years (and I rode from the age of 3 and had my own pony til I was 15!!). Glad the lesson helped, they do give you a big confidence boost.

Rolo is gorgeous!!! :wub: :wub: He is very short backed, like Kane. Which is why I've struggled with saddles too, he really should only have a 17'' seat but it's way too small for me. Again it's the reason I ended up with a treeless for hacking in, the seat size suits us both.

So glad M is back fit Al, colic is horrible. Lovely to know Bronnie's history. Should be interesting to see what she turns out like.

Had a lovely weekend, managed to ride sat and sunday, he was abig sharp on sunday cos Minty came with us...and he doesn't get to see her much now she's up at the stables. He was fun though!

AND the great news is.....Helen has agreed to let one of Lynn's friends Angie share Danny with her!! I'm so pleased, Angie rode him with me on saturday and she was saying how much so loved Danny and what a shame it was he didn't get out much. Angie said she felt guilty riding him so often (I said she was doing him a favour!!) so I suggested why not see what Helen thought about an offical sharing contract....and amazingly she agreed!! It's wonderful for Danny cos now at least someone will have his interest formost. She's worried cos she's never had a horse before but I'm more than happy to help her with anything she needs.

I sent a couple of rugs to Redwings for the Amersham horses including the tiniest little turnout rug in the world I think, It's been in my bedroom for about 8 years for some reason. Today I received a photo of Esther, the little donkey foal who heads the appeal and it fits her perfectly! :) She is soooo cute!!!!! Will put picture up later, I'm just so pleased it's being used at last.

for those of you on the hunt for horsey TV, Trouble at 8pm on a monday night, new series called Wildfire about a girl who had been in jail who is given a job working at a racehorse stable, it wasnt bad at all, always nice to have a girly horsey programme to watch, its a series so I presume the first episode might be repeated???

Great news about Danny - it will be so nice for him to have his own person.

How did Blue get on at the dressage?

Rolo has filled out a bit hasn't he - I keep looking at that photo thinking "flippin heck" :laugh:

How lovely that your rug has been put to such good use - will be looking out for Donkey pics too :)

I had a bit oof a proud mum moment last night! Did not have a huge amount of time, but felt it would be a waste not to do something with him and make the most of dry weather

Was going to lunge then remembered that the cavesson doesn't fit him anymore :rolleyes: , so thought I would just do a few mins in hand stuff in the school - nothing major, just walk and halt etc, ect.

Well, it was ever so quiet on the yard , and he was very good, so decided to see what would happen if I unclipped the leadrope. (Never done it before) I thought he may follow me follow me along the straight bits, but was not hopeful about him doing so away from the gate.

He was a little star :biggrin: - followed me wherever I went - circles, loops, semi circles, direction changes and always stopped when I did, and moved off again when I did. I was sooo chuffed with him.

In all honesty he would probably do it with anyone, but I had a lump in my throat at one point (old softy at heart!) - he made me feel special! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Edited by Bradders

Aww Jen that's lovely!!! :wub: :wub: He's a special little fella.

That's very good of Redwings to let you know your rug has been some use. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

I too am overly excited for Danny, I'll continue to see to him in the mornings cos his new sharer can't make it but the fact he'll have someone for weekends and summer evenings just means so much. He's such a kind soul but you can see in him he expects nothing from people, because he's never recieved anything. :mecry: He's sort of shut off to everything, it will be really interesting to see if he changes.