UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Jackie, how about doing some loosening exercises before you get on Kane, I'm a stiff old bat and have to (or did have to) otherwise it look me ten minutes to get down into the saddle. :biggrin:

Jen, I can't help but think you and Rolo are scaring each, maybe he would benefit from stresscare or something similar and yourself from Rescue Remedy just to take some tension out of the situation. Him being scared of saddles is a bit of a diffifulty, could you find a trashed up one and leave it in his stable to play with? I'm just thinking it may remove some of the fear, I did it years ago with a feaful horse and he stamped on it, chewed it, threw it about and eventually shredded it. It didn't work a miracle but it certainly improved his perception of saddles and did remove quite a lot of the fear.

I suppose things are looking up for me now I know I'm on the waiting list for the knee but I'm worrying about stiffening up so much that riding is going to be a big problem after 12 months at least. I've been looking at the ijoyride thing that is supposed to be fantastic for riders and keep fitters alike. The down side is that it's £399 and it looks like a toilet with a saddle on! Has anyone tried one?

I suppose things are looking up for me now I know I'm on the waiting list for the knee but I'm worrying about stiffening up so much that riding is going to be a big problem after 12 months at least. I've been looking at the ijoyride thing that is supposed to be fantastic for riders and keep fitters alike. The down side is that it's £399 and it looks like a toilet with a saddle on! Has anyone tried one?

Was that the thing they had on Channel 4 tuesday night? Can't remember the name of the program but it was a diet one? They looked brilliant!!!

That's the one, they do look like toilets don't they, or is it my peculiar mind! :biggrin:

No I did think that too! Must admit I was very impressed by them though (or more the thought of being able to sit on it watching telly and still loose inches!! :laugh: ). Slightly stupid for me to have one though... I already have a living breathing one that would do the same thing, just need the weather and time to utilize it properly!! :laugh: :rolleyes: I can see the advantage for you definately, good excersise but no impact on your knee.

Jen, I can't help but think you and Rolo are scaring each,

You may be right :) although he was perfectly happy when the saddle was first relfocked - and he does do it the girl that schools him for me too - but, from what I can understand, he just runs and hides to the back of the stable when he sees her coming with the tack - no flinching etc - the last time he started flicnhing was when his back was sore, so I wonder if it is a retained memory sort of thing? :rolleyes:

He does get very wary when there is more than one person in his stable - he is much better than he was, but probably 2 people plus a saddle was enough to unsettle him.

Much to the amusement of my fellow liveries, I did more or less as you suggested on Tuesday night - tied him up outside his stable with a haynet - put cloth and saddle on him ( he didn't react at all), left him like that for a few mins as I started to muck out, then did some in hand work in the school with him - all with saddle on - he was fine! :) (There was a chorus of "you've forgotten his bridle" as I led him out there!) :rolleyes:

(He did nearly have heart failure as my friend undid the velcro straps on her horse's rug mind you! :rolleyes: :laugh: )

So, I think he has 2 issues: being tacked up in his table & feeling pressurised when there are other people about. I did mention to Sarah months ago that he goes better for me in the school when we are on our own than when she is in there with me - which is bizzare as I am much happier when she is there!

We will get there (that is becoming my mantra!)

Now to the I-joy ride!! :laugh:

I have tried one - at an airport in either Washington or New York whilst killing some time!

Hilarious!! :laugh: Not like any horse I have ever sat on, but very entertaining.

Not sure how useful it would be tho! Not much help am I?!

I could be riding again by September!!!!!!!! :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Surgery should be March/April, how amazing is that, and at the local hospital so OH won't have a problem visiting. I had a steriod injection into my knee yesterday to attempt some pain relief, now that was not nice, needle looked a foot long and it was much more painful than last time. I made angry chimp noises and sweated but didn't move!

Must tell Wanda we have light at the end of the tunnel! :biggrin:

:flowers: :biggrin: Good luck....you'll love it!!! Where you going to go riding?

Just locally, Wimbledon Village Stables, its only 15 minutes drive from here, the other option is to go much further out into Surrey but if WVS works out I'd rather not have at least an hour drive each way going futher afield. Also with WVS there is hacking close by on Wimbledon Common and in Richmond Park although I think I need to concentrate on some lessons first so I have a private assessment lesson on Tuesday morning.

This is what they offer:

http://www.wvstables.com/What_WVS_Offers.htm

I am landing on the evening of march 5th :biggrin:

If that's at Gatwick, you can wave at Rolo and Nemo as you land! :biggrin:

Great news Pendlewitch!

Just enjoy Nettie :)

I have bitten the bullet :laugh: Lady from Better Saddles is coming out in early Feb with a selection of saddles including a Barefoot. She will then leave one with me to trial for a few days.

I could have trialled one without fitting but as I know sod all about treeless and I am paranoid, I decided to play it safe - afterall what is an other £35 when you have wasted as much money on saddles as I have?! :laugh:

Nettie I read an article in one of the horse mag's about that school. It had a lovely write up and the horses all look really well kept. Fingers crossed for tuesday, you know we'll want a full account!! :laugh:

I think you are right to get them out to help you Bradders, you might find you hate the treeless straight away. Although do give it a chance cos it does take some getting used to. :wink: