UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

nightmare hack today, someone was in an arse mood - spooking at everything, we had stops and rears and spins and all sorts - guess what happens when you aint been out for a while, half the horses are in and because of some of the mares being out round the house we cant put the stallions out, bring on the decent weather and the new barn for next winter.

I was wandering how you were doing Freya. Sounds like fun!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Don't talk to me about the weather. I'm totally p*ssed off with it all, fed up of Lynn panicking over a bit of mud. She wanted all the horses to go on this stupidily small hard standing area, 'only for a month or so'!! :ohmy: Off grass, staight onto hay and no turnout at all. :(

I've said you can do what you want with yours, but if I have a choice then absolutely no way with Kane, if can stay in the fields on his own rather than subject him to that! She's put her 3 into the stables overnight and out on that hard standing in the day and apparently Helen wants Danny on the hard standing 24/7. I wouldn't mind but Helen knows nothing about horses other than get on and ride. The idea of moving Kane and Danny off grass when they have lived out all their lives makes me go cold. I know Kane would go insane within minutes, nevermind the risk of colic!!! :(

I really am failing to understand the problem, I have a strict cleaning schedule with Kane's legs and feet over winter and I have no issues, Lynn was complaining about Minty have slight mud fever on her legs,..but when I offered to clean them and use the sudacrem she said no cos 'that stuff leaves their legs all gunky'!! Well yes it does but it also leaves them completely clean and rash free. :huh:

Ooh that sounds exciting Freya :ohmy:

This weather is really causing problems isn't it, although I am suprised you're having trouble Jacky :GroupHug: I always got the impression you had loads of grazing and Lynn was quite relaxed about the fields, but mud does funny things to people that is for sure :laugh:

Our field is seriously wet and muddy, so is the walk to it which takes about ten minutes across a few fields. I turn Loki out no matter what. Although it does take me about 20 mins to prepare his legs :laugh:

It is left upto the YM what time they come in but at least I know he has had a decent amount of time out, I was feeling a bit bad as I put another pony out with him in the morning and the owners are a bit mud phobic about him being out, and I worry if he was to injure himself the blame would be straight on me :rolleyes: So I have now started to put a different horse out with him whose owner I get on very well with and she shares my view, out whatever the weather.

Only problem being this horse is as wide as he is high and can be a bit of a handful, so turning out two big horses in the dark, shin deep in mud and more often than not wet and windy weather can be fun. Things I do for my horse :rolleyes:

Ours are being wormed on Friday night, so they are in for the weekend and then are changing fields on Monday, which at least should be better until they mush that up :)

Hmm I think I might enter a walk and trot class on 24th Feb, would be somewhere I have never been before and longer journey in the trailer than we have done, well Guildford, not exactly the other end of the country :laugh: , I really need to get over this hangup I have :dry: {wibble}

Don't mention muddy fields :angry:

Yesterday we were turning the boys out in the pitch black, and I had Eddie with me on the lead. I was trying to tie the electric fence tape to the post, when my welly got stuck in the mud and I fell flat on my arse in all the mud and got absolutely covered in it :angry: All Kath could do was laugh, and Eddie was most unimpressed as I splashed him with mud :rolleyes:

Wanda and her friends are on a hard standing turnout area, the fields are a swamp and we are not allowed turnout in winter anyway. It does have a surface so is not as though they are stood on concrete and they have a big free standing hayrack with adlib haylage. They do cope very well but there is not the space for more than a bop and kick, they can't have a hooley round and can get more than a bit boppy if the ridden work is not kept up. It's not ideal but is better than being in all the time, at least they can interact with each other. Wanda can be a bit of a moo though and hogs the hayrack!

Jackie, for a horse not used to this I think it could be difficult, I can imagine Kane going into bulldozer mode! :laugh: I too thought you had no problems with turnout and if both you and Kane don't mind the mud then why should it be a problem? I do hope you manage to keep him out!

I had a lovely grooming session with Wanda yesterday, loads of gentle nudges from her which would be easy to interpret as 'I love you mummy' but actually mean 'do you have the odd carrot or 6 about you please'?

Jackie, for a horse not used to this I think it could be difficult, I can imagine Kane going into bulldozer mode! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Love it..that's the perfect discription for him!!!

The problem isn't the fields getting messed...they have over 100 acres with no sheep on anymore and Paul (Lynn's OH) said the other day 'you aren't going to be pathetic and put your horse in are you?' so he's quiet happy...and it's his fields after all!!

Anyway sorted now, spoke to Helen last night and she's definately not moving Danny! She thought Lynn meant to move them up to the hard standing (which is concrete btw..another of my worry's!!) just over night and then put them back on grass in the day, something I'd of been happy with. Helen didn't realise Lynn meant putting them on there 24/7 for the next few weeks!! She agreed with me it would be asking for trouble, our lot are playful at the best of times, and in an enclosed space it would be mayhem!! So I'm happy now.

Thats good Jacky, Helen does come in useful sometimes at least :laugh:

I have just been bad and ventured onto Amazon and bought this 101 Schooling Exercises I have been fighting the temptation for a while, but last night I was really stuck for ideas when schooling and ended up wandering around not doing much :rolleyes: It's cheaper than a lesson I keep telling myself :laugh:

It's a little while since I updated here. I think last time Merlyn was behaving himself so much I was becomming quite concerned about him. He is still quite mellow - content even! However, as nothing along the lines of illness or injury has materialised, I am starting to put it down to the changes in his relationship with Bronnie. They have become extremely close now.

Bronnie is totally devoted to her big fat pal, and he is allowing her to walk all over him! She is even allowed to share his manger and hard feed! :rolleyes: To try and prevent that, the solution seems to be to place their individual mangers right next to each other, but on either side of the plank partition between the two sections in the field shelter.

A few days ago when I went to feed them in the afternoon, they were standing grooming each other outside the feed shed door. Wish I'd had a camera! The following day there was no sign of either of them near the buildings - something so unusual at that time of day, that I began to think they'd escaped again! However, as soon as I called, they came cantering up from the river/spring area, then treated me to a little play-fighting exhibition! Bronnie was rearing up at Merlyn and nipping his neck. Thankfully, M kept his great, shod hoofs planted in the mud and just let her get on with her youthful nonsense. He is extremely tolerant where little fillies and mares are concerned, thank goodness, doing nothing worse than pulling a few faces at them if they become too exhuberant for him, but he seems far too indulgent where Bronnie is concerned, allowing her to get away with things that she really needs disciplining over. She is becoming increasingly confident, cheeky and very bossy!

She has changed so much since her arrival, but at long last she seems to be altering her shape a bit, and looking less like a dumpy-legged tub! Indeed, when cavorting around the other day, she almost looked elegant! She moves surprisingly well, even in all the mud we have at present. I can hardly wait to see what emerges from under all the hair and as she reaches two years of age.

They do seem to all of a sudden turn into 'horses'!! Fred has been a weedy looking odd bod...but we can now see the handsome little pony coming out. :wub: Although it's hard to see much under the mud and hair at the moment!! :laugh:

It's lovely that they have such a strong bond already.

good news for Kane :flowers:

I think we need new Bronnie pics soon :cool:

Lots of things has happened at my work. A couple of days ago we moved Duchesse and Whistler (boss' SIL's boy-foal) up to the stable. Kennedy and Rakhmaninov has been weaned and are living out up at the stable, so Whistler went out with them... he is 3 months older and quite a bit bigger! Whistler never seemed to like me much when I was feeding down in the other field every morning, but he is all loved up with me now after having moved :rolleyes:

Duchesse goes out with Unique now, and OH MY GOD what a cow she is :laugh: talk about being a bit "hot blooded" :mellow:

I rode Hertha today :biggrin: (the new mare boss bought last year). We have been lunging her 3-4 time a week since december, and today I climbed on her, from a foot stool as she is quite tall, and she didn't bat an eye! :) I did walk and trot, and she did not put a foot wrong at all, she has a HUGE trot, and you would have never though she has not been ridden since september at all! Lovely lovely horse :wub:

Well done Hertha :wub:

Had a okay weekend , hack out on saturday with lynn (in the rain :( ) Kane was a good boy and went for a canter on his own (well not completely alone...I was there too!! :laugh: ) cos Minty didn't want to get her feet wet!!

AND yesterday we had a huge result. I managed to get him to walk out of the farm and half way up the lane alone. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I got about 300 yards up the road before he started to feel like he was going to try and turn, so I hopped off and lead him. Luckily the couple that have horses up the road were out and I nicked a carrot off them so he was rewarded for being good. Lead him to the church, then got back on and hacked home...no rushing or spooks at all! I was wobbly but very proud of him. Shame it was raining otherwise I'd of gone further. :mad:

Oh yes if anyone has Horse & Rider mag, take a look at the back pages where they have the horses for sale, Lesley at Trallwm Farm has alot of her loan horses on there. I just wish I was in a position to take one because it's quiet rediculas what fantastic horses there are for loan!!!

Edited by JACKYSIAN

Sounds like a lovely weekend Jacky, Glad Kane is behaving at the mo!!

I had a mixed weekend, I was working all day Saturday so didn't have a chance to ride. Rode Blue on Sunday morning and he went really well, then went to groom Apple before riding him to find that his sheath is hugely swollen. I think he probably caught himself on something when he did his escape act into the mare's field last week and it has got infected. I am getting the vet out to see him tomorrow morning to try and get him sorted out cos it looks really sore :-(

Now in my book this is seriously scary and downright crazy! Two of the liveries went to dressage last night, one of the horses would not load to come home, they were still there at 10.30! In the end they brought the horsey that did load home, left the trailer and went back to other person left holding the naughty horse as they were going to ride it home! This involved a small town and two villages with street lights but a lot of rural, unlit roads with some bad bends in between, total about 4 miles. The last mile is very bendy and a known 'racetrack'. Husband was going to drive behind rider with headlights on her. they had picked up some hi viz and my flashy light thing when they took first horsey back. The rain had stopped by now but it was starting to freeze.

To me the risks outweighed the necessity, horse could have been left at the venue and picked up/ridden home today. The chances of the driver being rear ended on a blind bend or the horse spooking into the path of another car were huge and by now it would have been close on midnight. Horsey is safe in box so they both made it home in one piece thank the lord. I also can't believe that the owners of the venue who also hosted the competition just buzzed off home and ignored someone in difficulty.

Would you have ridden the horse home?

Would you have ridden the horse home?

Simple answer...no!!!!!! That's just idiotic behaviour!!! My horse is far too important to me to risk his life in that way. If there was a safe place to leave him then of course common sense says that's the thing to do.

Not talking to Kane today....he did a skidding run at me this morning...and I'm now sitting in my office head to toe in mud!!! :( :( I swear I saw him laughing. :mellow:

Edited by JACKYSIAN