UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Were they offered a box overnight Pendlewitch? I think I would have gone for that option, but can also understand why they wanted to get home, I would have had to have had a car in front and behind and someone on foot with a large torch by the side. Saying that I am bloody minded and would have continued trying to box him until he went in :rolleyes: All in all a horrible situation to find yourself in :(

I had a good weekend, I think I now understand the term "rude health" that is exactly what I would say Loki is in right now, he is being soooo cheeky :laugh:

Had two lovely but very different hacks at the weekend, Saturday he was great, forward going but very chilled, I hardly picked the reins up the whole time, we had a few strides of canter which was nice :biggrin:

Sunday well *ahem* shall we say he was ready to run, but he was incredibly good fun, which goes to show how my confidence is growing with him, we have a long sandy track which is when wet gets huge puddles which we normally trot through and there are a few small logs that we trot over, he decided he had to jump them all very high and wide and of course take advantage on landing of having a little canter. After an hour I thought I had got all the gas out of him so decided to have a little canter up the hill, started of well, them suddenly we were fly bucking our way along :laugh: So he got stopped taken back and we had another go in a less exuberant fashion (but not much :laugh: )

For a big horse he really comes off the ground, and he has so much stamina at the moment, considering he has only been back in work six weeks his fitness levels are better than they were before he was off.

I have changed his feed and think the new stuff is obviously giving him more of what he needs but I *might* be cutting his rations down if the excitement gets any more :rolleyes:

Norty Kane :laugh: :laugh: :wub:

I certainly would not have ridden home in those circumstances - I guess they were desperate?

Great to hear everyone's news - what a change Clare - laughing about flybucks!! :D

Not a lot to report from us - still not ventured out on a hack - did lead him down the lane but lost my nerve when he threated to pull away and turn for home when his little friends started calling - but he didn't do it so I guess that is the main thing!

He is coming on in leaps and bounds with the little things in life - I can now touch his sheath without him threatening to kick, I can flap things all over his back without him having heart failure, and I would ride him in the school in a massive storm and feel safe! But, I do feel frustrated that we have effectively stood still on the riding front, if not gone slightly backwards - bloomin falls! :)

We had an interesting reaction to the saddle on Saturday - Sarah came in stable with me and went to put the saddle on him - he hid at the back of his stable and went rigid - she thought it was a reaction to her - but it wasn't - it was a reaction to the saddle appearing :( I gave him some space and he eventually calmed down enough to put the saddle on - even though he jumped at every movement.

We then went in to the school - once I was mounted Sarah did his girth up for me - but from the off side - he nearly jumped out of his skin when I brought my leg forward. He was really tense for the first few minutes as we walked around too. He is a bit of a crazy mixed up kid sometimes :( We only walked, and Sarah walked on foot along side us - we were just chatting away and more or less ignoring him, which seemed to do the trick :)

He is such a worrier, he breaks my heart sometimes - I just wish he could understand that nothing bad is goign to happen to him.

Think I will just mooch him around the school with the saddle on a few times - either mounted or in hand, just to take the pressure off him. (Physio has checked and his back is fine).

Sorry - this post has gone on much longer than I intended!! :laugh:

I rode Dexter in the school twice last weekend. He was a good boy considering he hasnt done much for so long. Came home on Sunday really sad because next weekend is my last weekend and I would have said goodbye to him. :(

The owner brought the new sharer up last weekend and they said hello and went off to look round the fields. Then they came back and ignored me. Went into the stable to look at Dexter (who I had got ready for bed) and stood chatting with their backs to me. O goes into hosp at the end of the month and will be non weight bearing on crutches for 12 weeks. I gave notice 2 months ago. I didnt know it would coincide with her op. have offered to help out but am obviously not wanted. :mecry:

:GroupHug: Bobbysmum it's such a shame things didn't work out. Dexter will certainly miss you.

Jen, don't really know what to advise. I guess he's picking up on your saddle worries maybe? Either that or he was abit sore in the belly and just didn't want the saddle on that day? It has been a slow progress for you both, but it will work out in the end and you are so lucky to have the luxury of time because of his age you can afford to relax and take everything that much slower. Frustrating as it may be!!!!! Really look forward to hearing your opinion on the treeless saddle, I suspect you may find it too wide for your legs but it will interesting to hear how he goes in it.

This is a silly question cos I think I know the answer but what would you think if a horse raises it head when asked to trot? He doesn't do it in canter but when I ask him to trot (I do ask by word cos he doesn't need any manual aids) he seems to carry his head quiet high, it's not something I've noticed before but recently it's happened a couple of times. Oddly he doesn't do it on his way back from a ride. :unsure:

This is a silly question cos I think I know the answer but what would you think if a horse raises it head when asked to trot? He doesn't do it in canter but when I ask him to trot (I do ask by word cos he doesn't need any manual aids) he seems to carry his head quiet high, it's not something I've noticed before but recently it's happened a couple of times. Oddly he doesn't do it on his way back from a ride. :unsure:

I would guess he is more forward on the way back, and uses himself better through the transition, generally I think the head comes up when the transition comes from the front end rather than the hind leg coming under him and powering from behind. But that could all be rubbish, where are the dressage peeps :laugh:

Bobbysmum, the new sharer might not be as smug when she is a couple of months down the line :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Sorry to hear you are having saddle problems again Bradders, I am dead against riser pads of any description after Loki's problems, perhaps his anxeity has been triggered by the saddle, fingers crossed the treeless is the answer to your problems :GroupHug: As Jacky said time is on your side, and all the things that have improved are fantastic building blocks for your ridden work :flowers: Roll on the spring everything is so much easier then :)

:wacko: Oh now I'm confused!! I was thinking that he might of been in abit of pain??? I'm not brill at all this technical stuff with riding, but I do know Kane is a generally propelled by his ar*e end!!! His neck is like a rock and his back end is pure muscle but his shoulders can be weak. I guess I really need to start working on his schooling over the summer to try and improve his all round fitness really. :mecry: I need a school...a good instructor...a lottery win...and no work!!!!!!! :laugh:

Loki sounds like he's feeling 100 times better!! Which is fun for you!!! :laugh: It's funny but you know when you've turned a corner when you stop being nervous of his madness and enjoying it!! :wink:

Jacky, I was thinking that maybe it is a balance thing - could be that he is a bit stiff and not using his body properly and therefore a bit unbalanced, which sorts itself out as the ride continues?

But, in reality, I have not got a clue! :laugh: :rolleyes:

Shame about Dexter, but definitely for the best - there are lots of lovely ponies out there looking fro a caring sharer :)

I have just re-read my post - God I sound miserable! :laugh: I am not, honest!! I still think Rolo and I were meant to be, but the constant saddle issues are getting us both down! Interestingly, he was fine with the saddle being put on him when it was first reflocked - but has got gradually worse over the last few weeks - maybe it does not feel quite right to him either. :)

Now, off to search internet dating sites for a sugar daddy :D :laugh:

:wacko: Oh now I'm confused!! I was thinking that he might of been in abit of pain???

If he was doing it all the time I would have wondered the same, but as on the way home he doesn't it made me wonder if it was an impulsion thing, but as Bradders said could be stiffness, although being out 24/7 he should be pretty loose to start with. Ah these horses like to keep us pondering don't they :laugh: I guess your best bet would be to look at him on the lunge, how are you going with persuading Lynn and her OH to build a school :biggrin:

It's funny but you know when you've turned a corner when you stop being nervous of his madness and enjoying it!! :wink:

I remember when that happened with Nemo! He had just done on e of his "0 to flat out" specials down the long side of the school. Normally I'd be a gibbering wreck, but this time, I jammed my legs on, said "if you want to go fast, we are going fast" and made him go round the school several times! He was in a state of shock! :laugh: He never did again tho!

Jacky, I was thinking that maybe it is a balance thing - could be that he is a bit stiff and not using his body properly and therefore a bit unbalanced, which sorts itself out as the ride continues?

Also could it be that I'm abit unbalanced too? He's a young fit thing...but unfortunately I'm an ancient stiff old bird so it's more likely it's me that is uncomfortable! :laugh: He never feels stiff, he's not the fastest thing in the world but he's usually pretty flexible and does go forward nicely. I never need a leg with him...well unless I'm alone and he's attempting a quick turn around to fly home of course!! :laugh: Also my other worry is that I'm just too heavy for him. I was alot lighter when he first came but I'm a chunky monkey now and I do worry about it. (I'm dieting...I promise!! :laugh: )

I wouldn't worry too much about him Jacky - having watched the 2 of you out and about it is probably a combination of you and him, you are a bit stiffer from just getting on, and he is a bit fresh and puts his head up when he feels you are stiff. If you want I can have a quick look at him some time when I am back over there, I'm there this Saturday but only for the day at Anglesey showground so it might be a bit of a rush!!!

Also could it be that I'm abit unbalanced too? He's a young fit thing...but unfortunately I'm an ancient stiff old bird so it's more likely it's me that is uncomfortable! :laugh: He never feels stiff, he's not the fastest thing in the world but he's usually pretty flexible and does go forward nicely. I never need a leg with him...well unless I'm alone and he's attempting a quick turn around to fly home of course!! :laugh: Also my other worry is that I'm just too heavy for him. I was alot lighter when he first came but I'm a chunky monkey now and I do worry about it. (I'm dieting...I promise!! :laugh: )

Jackie, I'm sure you're not a ancient stiff old bird but talking of them anyway, I have finally got off my bum and after 13-14 years am about to get back in the saddle again. Pray for me. :laugh: