UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Show jumping always looks the hardest out of dressage, cross country and show jumping, I don't know if it actually is but it seems it, the jumps have to be approached quite precisely.

It looks harder because the horses and the riders are tired and after the speed work the day before the horses can get a bit long and the jumping a little flat ....but they are getting better all the time with the training and the breeding...(My friend breeds eventers (Irish Sport Horses) in Ireland)

Edited by grace

Just had some sad news from my yard. Remember the welsh d I posted about last year who did his flexor tendon in? Well he had just come sound and was back to ridden work when he cut his leg in the field. His owner had him put to sleep on Tuesday :( I think there were underlying problems that led her to make that decision, but really sad and quite a shock. I can't see her being without for long though, she had had him for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my hols now, went to Hartpury horse trials whilst we were down there and had a great day. There they did the jumping and then the xc, so a lot of horses were knackered around the xc. We walked around the xc course and ended up positioning ourselves by the second water complex. 2 horses got stuck in the gap between the take off bit and the actual jump - they even had to dismantle the jump for one of them. Another one sat on the jump, released the shear pin mechanism on the jump them carried on and finished the course. Got some good pictures that I took, unfortunately mum had the camera most of the day and didn't bother with the zoom, so most of her pictures are rubbish :rolleyes: :laugh: Will sort through them when I have a minute and post them on here.

Don't think Blue has missed me at all. Went to farm last night to see him and he was busy munching his haynet. I had taken some carrots with me that mum had grown in her garden. So he came over to me, scoffed the carrots and then went back to his net :laugh: Vet is coming to see him tomorrow, so hopefully we will have good news and be able to start walking under saddle again :)

The owner of the welsh D who was PTS whilst I was away now has a beautiful fell mare, she is only 13.2 and need building up, but she seems very sweet.

:laughingsmiley: at Blue but that reminds me of years ago when i had my piebald Whisky. I got back from holiday went straight to see him, he galloped towards me calling then slammed the brakes on about 10ft away and went in opposite direction, he obviously realised his holiday was over as well!!!

Glad the ladys found another horse its devastating when you lose them.

Lol! Gotta love the way horses think :)

Just put my saddle in my car, as I suspect if he is sound tomorrow, the vets will ask me to start walking him. Also put a body protector in that my YO lent me for when I start riding him again. Just hope I'm not tempting fate :unsure:

Good luck for tomorrow Gooster, got everything crossed for you :flowers:

Sorry to hear about the Welshie, glad she has found a new project to keep her mind occupied.

Aww Banner is too cute, a lunge circle is a long way for such little legs :wub:

I was doing dressage today, my time was 12.30 and as my show shirt was sleeveless I had to ride in my jacket, oh my I don't think I've ever been so hot! We did an ok test he felt a bit behind the leg really but the main aim was to do a test before I go out eventing on Wednesday. Was dreading my mark as the judge was a listed judge and on the first class there was only one out of the 50%s everyone was a bit glum about their scores. I nearly fell over when I saw we had won with a mark of 76% and I got a 9 for my riding. I think I might frame the test sheet as I will never get one like that again! The judge said "what a pleasure to watch". Thats it I am retiring from dressage now :laugh:

• Like 1

Now that's a result Clare, jolly well done! Err, where's the vid? :)

Good luck vibes for Gooster and CP, hope it turns out well for both!

I'm so cross with myself, I've let Banner get too fat so she now has had to come off the grass and is doing lots of little legs lunging! She is just so good and will change pace on command but her fat wobbles! She is an amazing 75kg overweight, I'm so surprised she hasn't got lammi and it would be totally my fault if she had done. The vet thinks she is possibly on the EMS/Cushings side because of the fat distribution. (That's Banner, not the vet). She has put on loads of coat already (again Banner not the vet) so she is being clipped this week, I can't have a sweaty yak again this winter!

Talking of fat, the vet is happily doing Banner's teeth, not an easy thing to do when she calmly told me she is 5 month pregnant, eeeek, should she still be dealing with wild ponies! One of the other vet's wives is and so is the receptionist, YO Sam is so glad she doesn't work there, it's obviously catching!

Edited by Pendlewitch

Brilliant, well done Clare :biggrin: I think I would fall over from shock if I ever get a 9 for my riding :)

Fingers crossed for Milo's vet visit :)

Aww Banner :wub:

Vet has been to see Blue this morning - to my relief, it was Linda, the new vet who was working at Leahurst when Blue was there, so she understood a lot more about his history than the other vets would do. She watched him walk and trot up, then I lunged him. She said his foot balance looks great and he looks sound to her :partytime: :partytime: She said he can now go out 24/7 in the field and she is going to speak to the other vets who dealt with him at Leahurst to devise an exercise plan for us to begin in a week or so :biggrin: So now all Blue needs to do is stay sound when we start work again and all will be good :)

(null)

• Like 1

Physio was really pleased with milo yesterday, she said he was much much softer and able to do loads more of the exercises this time round. She watched him walk and trot up and down the road and she thinks he's sound. Obviously no flexion tests (that's the bit he's always dodgy on) but still, pleased to hear he looks good to her!