UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Everything crossed for Milo today :flowers:

Oh no PW you have been really unlucky with wet weather recently :( May be the ducks know because they ordered it :laugh:

Novice test looks really challenging, unfortuantly no lateral work in the one Im learning as we're quite ok at that, but two change of reins / transitions over X trot-walk-trot and canter-trot-canter which will be really difficult for us but it is making my schooling at lot more focussed and fresh which I needed so I'm pleased I'm learning it even though it may not come together in the test :)

Right just seen on the dreaded FB my step Neice is selling two of her homebred horses....16.2HH wich is a bit big for me really ... and they will be bred as jumpers....and I hate show jumping...can you tell Im talking myself out of this!!!

Poor ponies going underwater :( hope they can swim!!

Thank you for all your good wishes, they paid off :)

The vet was amazed with Milo. His bum muscles have previously been very asymmetric but have now levelled out, he flew through the flexion tests and being lunged in the car park. The vet says obviously living out has worked miracles for him and said milo looked better today than he ever thought he would!

So the plan now is to get him off the bute (hes only on 1 a day anyway) and up his workload so we can return to 'normal'. He's already happy doing 1 hr plus up the forest so will increase the fast work and get him fit enough to get out to some lessons! :D

Thats great news for you and Milo :cheer:

Got to stables tonight to find Bumble had escaped in field and him and Fern had been arguing over rights to be Annies friend :rolleyes: . Its rare for Bumble to be in a real strop but hes in one tonight :confused: just bought him a lovely 2nd hand rug and like hell was he going to model it so left him sulking. We must be insane to keep these animals!!! lol

Brilliant news CP :partytime:

Grace - just because they are bred for jumping doesn't mean you have to jump :wink:

I know but I feel they would be wasted with me....what I would really love and what I have set my heart on is a Quarter Horse....a youngster I can do myself...I just need a nice little Lotto win so I can give up work ....:)

Annies wheezing is virtually gone now shes on paper bedding so thank goodness to that. Still havent told stable owners as they really dont want paper, i figure if i keep it really tidy etc and muck out into a bag then they can see its not horrendous and blowing all over the place which was their only fear. Tried bumbles rug on last night , why do they make rugs so damn deep and straps so far back ! Its virtually down to his knees and tail strap is far to low. Its a lovely rug but i'm gutted, was so sure it'd fit him well. I know some need deep rugs etc but any deeper and i'd have to tent stake him to the ground, lol !!

Great news on Milo :biggrin:

I've always been a fan of Quarter horses, never met one in the flesh but they always look really well put together with nice natures. Fingers crossed for your lottery win :flowers:

Good to hear Annie is on the mend, how are you finding paper bedding is it easy to muck out?

I hate rug buying, the only rugs that consistantly fit Loki are the Rambo ones that are always mega expensive :rolleyes:

Our plans had to change at the weekend and we ended up going to a Windsor Park for a couple of showjumping classes on Sunday. Unfortuantly the rain come Saturday night and into Sunday and it was horribly slippery. But I was really pleased with how we jumped, I was pretty chilled about it all and Loki warmed up much better than last time, we had two down in the 85cm and really struggled to stay on our feet in a straight line let alone round corners.

In the 90cm I had already decided to come back to walk to make any turns, and he technically had 3 down but one was the first fence which a couple of strides away he suddenly decided to spook at some cones along side the ring so ended up sideways and really deep and booted it out, but then jumped round the rest of the course with only two further fences both of which I got too deep to, the ones we met right he jumped well, so I came away feeling very positive although the fences keep falling it wasn't such a car crash as Tweseldown :)

Well done Clare, glad you're getting over your unexplained fear of SJ :)

Collies r best - I used paper for ages and loved it. It was cheap, didn't smell, was really absorbent and light to work with. The downside is that it goes everywhere! Just try and keep it clean and you should be alright :)

How long do you reckon it will take the bute to get out of his system? I had a good blast up the forest today and he felt great, I even popped a few small logs on the way round (weehee) and he was very calm about it!

Glad Annie is feeling better :flowers: I love rug buying, but only because I know if we buy a weatherbeeta it will fit him. Anything else is just weird on him!

Well done for the SJ Clare :)

Glad you had a nice ride out CP - not sure how long it takes before bute is out of their system though :unsure:

We are still pootling along with our walking hacks - he is being so amazingly well behaved - really calm and happy to be ridden again :)

Annies wheezing is virtually gone now shes on paper bedding so thank goodness to that. Still havent told stable owners as they really dont want paper, i figure if i keep it really tidy etc and muck out into a bag then they can see its not horrendous and blowing all over the place which was their only fear. Tried bumbles rug on last night , why do they make rugs so damn deep and straps so far back ! Its virtually down to his knees and tail strap is far to low. Its a lovely rug but i'm gutted, was so sure it'd fit him well. I know some need deep rugs etc but any deeper and i'd have to tent stake him to the ground, lol !!

I used to have a great rug wash and repair guy in Ireland called Niall, he would come out and chop and change the rug for you move the straps etc until it fit.....much cheaper than buying a new rug....maybe there is someone in your area?

Trying to remember the withdrawal times for bute and competing Im pretty sure its 7 days :flowers:

Horrible horrible night at the yard last night, one of the horses came in with colic symptons, in the time it took me to go for a short hack the vet had arrived but the horse had collapsed in the school and it didn't look good, they managed to stablise her enough to get her to hospital but she was not strong enough to be operated on and they had to make the decision to let her go :mecry: So shocking how quickly it all happened and Im so very sorry for her lovely owners who bred her and had cherished her for 14 years :( Run free gorgous girl :wub:

Trying to remember the withdrawal times for bute and competing Im pretty sure its 7 days :flowers:

Horrible horrible night at the yard last night, one of the horses came in with colic symptons, in the time it took me to go for a short hack the vet had arrived but the horse had collapsed in the school and it didn't look good, they managed to stablise her enough to get her to hospital but she was not strong enough to be operated on and they had to make the decision to let her go :mecry: So shocking how quickly it all happened and Im so very sorry for her lovely owners who bred her and had cherished her for 14 years :( Run free gorgous girl :wub:

Is it me or does colic always seem to be worse when the seasons are changing.....its a terrible thing my heart goes out to her ownders....

I've always been a fan of Quarter horses, never met one in the flesh but they always look really well put together with nice natures. Fingers crossed for your lottery win

I really like them as a solid alround breed... being realistic I would only want to do local shows, hacking and mybe the odd pleasure ride....they seem to be sound and nice tempered.... and though I shouldnt I have been looking....Im still a bit confused by the pedigrees though...as the prices seem to vary wildly in the thousands depending on the breeding not unlike race horses actually...but as I dont intend to do much roping or cattle cutting Im looking for soundness and temperment...and Id rather not have a pale horse (too much washing) and id rather have a mare but thats negotiable if everything else is right