UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

So sad :(

Had an amazing ride on Blue today - we only went in the country park, but he was so forward going and tried to trot at one point :) I was a bit unsure if Hilary (the horse we hack out with), would be able to do the steps as she is losing her sight due to cataracts, but she was fab. Am really glad she managed it, as it means we can do a lot more hacking now we can go in there (as she won't do puddles).

Oh no thats terrible :( colic terrifies me , things can go wrong so fast with it and theres nothing you can do.

Annie on paper ..we're getting there! I've cheated a bit and put some dust free shavings on the base as Annie has a habit of holding her wee than letting gallons go once shes in the stable. The paper was getting flooded but this certainly seems to be working for her and the mucking out is easier now.

Poor horsey :( what a horrible thing to happen :(

What joint supplements do you all use? I've been claiming for one from my vets but insurance runs out next month so now need to look for my own. It's such a minefield, they all have really good adverts but when you look at the levels they provide they are really low....

Joint supplements are a minefield! I did a fair bit of research and have ended up using Suppleaze Gold, it supposidly has one of the best specs and I buy the large pot for £65 and it lasts for months. But I think like a lot of things some things suit some horses better than others and its a bit of try it and see :)

Physio came out yesterday to check Loki over as still wasn't 100% happy with him after his antics when they bought in the hay and sure enough she found he had done a good job on himself again :rolleyes: I suppose good news is thats its a totally new injury and all his other past problems are fine, so he had a good session and then some ultrasound and she hopes that will put him right, a few days off, then very light hacking and back in full work in a week. Perhaps explains why our showjumping has taken a nosedive again after showing some signs of improvement but guess time will tell.

I know its completely unnatural and a no go but I can sometimes understand why some people don't put their horses out, I have threatened him with hobbles :laughingsmiley:

Oh Loki, what are you like :D Hope he gets back to 'normal' soon! Have you got any more events coming up Clare?

Im going to have a play around with a few joint supplements I think, see what happens!

Got lost in the forest today, was out there for 2 and a half hours. Its just vast and every path I turned down looked the same! Milo enjoyed himself although we were both knackered by the time we got home!!

Oh Loki, what are you like :D Hope he gets back to 'normal' soon! Have you got any more events coming up Clare?

Im going to have a play around with a few joint supplements I think, see what happens!

Got lost in the forest today, was out there for 2 and a half hours. Its just vast and every path I turned down looked the same! Milo enjoyed himself although we were both knackered by the time we got home!!

I hear leaving a trail of bread crumbs is the answer.....

Brilliant news :biggrin:

I am a bit unsure what to do at the moment, with regards to knowing how to progress with Blue's exercise plan. Week one was ok, with less than 20 minute hacks, we only missed 2 days that week. However week 2 with longer hacks, due to weather, we haven't done as much. Monday and Tuesday we decided not to ride, due to torrential rain (which last night stopped as soon as I decided not to ride and went home :rolleyes: ). Now the nights are drawing in, we can't afford to wait around for it to stop raining, as it was dark here by 7.55 last night, which when you are not getting to the farm until 6.30, doesn't give much time to tack up and go. Week 3 onwards is in the school which is fine, as we have a floodlit arena I can use, but I don't want to progress onto that yet until I have done a few more longer hacks (we have done 4 over 8 days). I don't mind if it takes longer to fitten him up, but there is only so much longer the hacking after work can continue.

Horses are also coming in at night as of 30th September :( So in total, I have not mucked out for 40 days this summer :rolleyes: They are still allowed out in the summer fields during the day, think they are coming in due to lack of grass in the fields (although Blue still has a bit of a grass belly going on).

Other exciting news, my instructor is also an artist, and I have asked her to draw a picture of Blue, so this weekend, she is coming up to take photos that she can work from - not sure whether to get the picture done in charcoal or pastels yet. What would you guys do?

(null)

Thanks, never tried long reining with him, not sure what he would make of it :unsure:

Anyway, my fabby vet phoned this morning to see how we were getting on, so I asked them. Apparently, so long as I ride 5 times in the week, that's fine. If I can't because of the weather, I just extend that week for a bit longer. That was what I had thought, but feel better now my vet has confirmed it. Riding out in a bit (hopefully). This will take us up to 5 longer hacks over the last 12 days. Will hack again tomorrow and Saturday and might have a go in the school on Sunday :)

Oh wow that shire is gorgeous :wub:

Glad you've got a plan B Gooster, did you go in the school yesterday?

Had a very early jumping lesson yesterday which meant we left the yard in the dark, but it was worth it as had a productive lesson and came away with lots of things to try and remember to do, or not do as the case is really :laughingsmiley:

Just found out we have qualified for the Southern Horse Trials Champs so hopefully that will be a nice way to finish the season :)

• Like 1