UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Just need to come on here for a mini rant. Can't do it elsewhere because who knows where their family are members (and I know def not here).

There is a family of know it alls at the farm where we keep our two, they have to be involved with everyones business. Usually I try to ignore what goes on but today the daughter/niece has really peed me off. She is nearly 14 and has been riding for years. This evening, Lauren, our friend's daughter Aimee (13)and myself were riding around the fields. Max, Aimee's pony was being a bit strong for her, so we stayed in walk as he just wanted to canter. Anyway, we were walking up a hill when Lauren looked round and saw that Anastasia was cantering up behind us on her aunty's cob Bess. Aimee shouted that Max was being a bit daft but she just carried on cantering past. Of course this sent Max off into the crop field, and Pablo almost ran into Welina's arse.........I yelled "FFS Staiz!!!" She then pulled up and turned and rode the other way. Our 3 were on pins the whole way back, it really ruined the end of a very good ride. Aimee was nearly in tears and I was shaking.

When I got back onto the yard, I went straight away to let the mother know what happened, before Staiz came back complaining that nasty Andrea had shouted at her. I never received an apology from the mother or child, and to be honest, I don't think I will get one.

It isn't the first time she has nearly caused an accident and I doubt it will be the last. A few weeks ago I ended up having to twitch Welina so the farrier could shoe her as Staiz kept trotting behind her on a pony. :mad:

Glass of wine and chocolate to you if you have managed to read my rant..............ahhhhh feel better now!!

Thats just plain rude!! and it could get someone killed a horse only has to rear up and go over....

Just need to come on here for a mini rant. Can't do it elsewhere because who knows where their family are members (and I know def not here).

There is a family of know it alls at the farm where we keep our two, they have to be involved with everyones business. Usually I try to ignore what goes on but today the daughter/niece has really peed me off. She is nearly 14 and has been riding for years. This evening, Lauren, our friend's daughter Aimee (13)and myself were riding around the fields. Max, Aimee's pony was being a bit strong for her, so we stayed in walk as he just wanted to canter. Anyway, we were walking up a hill when Lauren looked round and saw that Anastasia was cantering up behind us on her aunty's cob Bess. Aimee shouted that Max was being a bit daft but she just carried on cantering past. Of course this sent Max off into the crop field, and Pablo almost ran into Welina's arse.........I yelled "FFS Staiz!!!" She then pulled up and turned and rode the other way. Our 3 were on pins the whole way back, it really ruined the end of a very good ride. Aimee was nearly in tears and I was shaking.

When I got back onto the yard, I went straight away to let the mother know what happened, before Staiz came back complaining that nasty Andrea had shouted at her. I never received an apology from the mother or child, and to be honest, I don't think I will get one.

It isn't the first time she has nearly caused an accident and I doubt it will be the last. A few weeks ago I ended up having to twitch Welina so the farrier could shoe her as Staiz kept trotting behind her on a pony. :mad:

Glass of wine and chocolate to you if you have managed to read my rant..............ahhhhh feel better now!!

Some people are so clueless, doesn't sound like there is much hope for her with a mother like that :mad:

Hope Bumble is settling and doing ok :flowers:

Fingers crossed Milo's new chilled persona continues :laugh:

Hope Blue got the all clear from the physio :flowers:

I am starting to make myself :wacko: with what is going on with Loki. After feeling good that the weekend admitably only doing a hack and short warm up and test on Sunday, come Monday his respiratory rate was raised again, hacked on Tuesday and he was ok but didn't do much, then Wednesday schooled and he started puffing again during trot work, and then when I started some canter he got very sweaty and blowing so stopped and walked him off.

Yesterday morning a swelling had appeared between his mandible bones on the exact area of his tooth extraction, I have been warned to take any swellings there very seriously due to the ticking time bomb that is his teeth :rolleyes: I spoke to his dentist who thought unlikely to be anything to worry about as still eating fine, and as he has has respiratory problems could well be a lymph node swelling or due to grass coming through after all the rain, but check with vet.

I had another look at it this morning and I do feel its sitting more to the left side rather than general swelling, vet called me back this morning and he feels its unlikely to be dental for same reasons dentist said, but if it gets any bigger over weekend to call them. Keep him in work over weekend now he has completed Ventapulin and see if he gets any worse, then he'll come and see him next week.

So I am going to fret all weekend about what is going on, I am supposed to be doing a clinic tomorrow and can't decide if I should go or not and with all the braining churning I am giving myself a headache :mecry:

Sorry whinge over he is after all eating and drinking fine so think it is me thats suffering not him :laugh:

Edited by Clare

Angel, thats awful :ohmy: what terrible behaviour :angry:

:GroupHug: Clare. Its awful when things go wrong and you dont know what the problem is. What is Loki bedded on, would it be worth thoroughly cleaning his stable as in removing all dust/ cobwebs etc and trying different bedding. Sorry if you already do this spring cleaning regulary :flowers: I used to have a horse with COPD and he had to live out in the end as any dust set him off.

Bumbles ok, full of life. I'm borrowing a friends rammer soon [again!] and putting a few wooden posts in so that when he does go out his bit will be much more secure than using plastic/metal posts. As ground has softened with the rain it seems an ideal time to do it. Fern is in the trying it on stage :rolleyes: but shes learning quickly that when Annies going out or coming in you dont mess with her. An impatient Annie means that we get dragged along if we've kept her waiting :laugh:

:GroupHug: Angel. There is no need for people to behave like that. They should understand that horses are herd animals :rolleyes:

Hope you manage to get Loki sorted with his breathing and his teeth :flowers:

Glad Bumble is feeling better :flowers:

Blue did get the all clear from his physio, after she checked him she gave him a massage that made him go all goggle eyed and dopey. I was stood in front of him and he tried to groom me and took a chunk out of my arm :rolleyes: :laugh:

There is a woman on my farm who I think has fallen out with me, but I don't know why :unsure: Her horse fell over in the field a few weeks ago and blew his superficial digital flexor tendon in his front leg. I have been nothing but supportive and listened to her talk and whenever I see her I ask how he is. I saw her one evening this week and she said she wanted some books back that I had lent her. I said no probs as I was done with them and kept meaning to bring them back, so I would leave them in my tack room the next day (which I did). Anyway, last night I was just getting ready to leave the farm when she pulled up in her car and told me to move my car as it was blocking her trailer in (which it wasn't - I was parked in front of the hay stack next to her trailer). Another girl who was stood next to me was actually blocking her trailer in, but nothing was said to ask this girl to move her car, she just moved it anyway when I moved mine. I know she is going through a tough time at the moment, which is why I just moved my car anyway, just wish I knew what I'd done to piss her off!!

Gooster don’t you just feel on top of the world after a good lesson, great news he got the all clear from the physio, hope your arm isn’t too sore. Are you confident enough to ask nasty woman what her problem is :unsure:

Clare well done, test looks soooooo controlled, how you ever remember it all is beyond me :huh: and hope you get to the bottom of Lokis offness

:ohmy: at Bumble stable bucking, glad hes brighter :wub:

Glad Milos food is making a difference.

Angel some people are just idiots, horses are just not the thing to be messing about with :angry: hope no-one gets hurt.

Poor Trooper lost his fight yesterday morning :mecry: glad hes no longer in pain and suffering but :mecry: that hes gone. He was 20 years old and a real gent :wub:

Lessons this week again on Magic (sorry will def try to get piccies this week so you can all see who im raving about), doing more pole work in trot and canter and working on strides.

Owner of yard asked me was I going to buy Magic, I asked would he part with him and he said he could be talked to :ohmy: Only a dream atm but sure you never know whats round the next corner.

Got details at yard of costs of livery etc so at least I know figures.

Can I just ask what you all reckon a horse costs per month for you all :unsure:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: sorry Troopers gone :GroupHug:

:ohmy: :elefant: you're going to buy a horsesy :laughingsmiley:

To be honest cost vary so much from different owners. Mine are kept on a very tight budget i tend to buy in 2nd hand rugs especially if they are very expensive brand new but ebay is worth looking at as you can get bargins. I wash my own rugs [poor washing machine :laughingsmiley: ]. Mine are good doers as well and a sack of Happy Hoof @£10.70 does them about 3 to 4 weeks. Hay is my biggest expense especially in winter but if you've got good grazing thats not such a problem. Mine are all barefoot, Bumble get trimmed every 3-6 weeks as his lammi feet can grow rapidly, Annie is every 9-12 weeks as she just seems to keep her feet in excellent shape [farrier does check her when he does Bumble]. Trims are £20 each. I use shaving from a local joinery @ £1.20 a large bag, sometimes they are dusty but i deep litter and dig out approx every 10 to 14 days so dusty stuff goes on the base of bed, sprayed lightly with water and good stuff on top. My friend only gets the best for her horse expensive shavings, the 'latest' rugs etc and her one horse costs a fortune to keep. Dont forget to shop around for insurance.

Poor Trooper :GroupHug:

The cost of keeping Blue is different depending on whether it is summer or winter. In the summer it costs me £22 a week including trailer parking with 24/7 turnout. In the winter it costs £24 a week including trailer and morning feed, turnout and bring in. Hay costs me £10.50 a week for unlimited hay. I get through 1-2 bales of shavings costing £4.50 each. His shoes are £65 a set every 7 weeks. Insurance with loss of use etc is £60 a month. However I keep meaning to take my tack off it as they probably wouldn't pay out .

So sorry to hear Trooper lost his fight :mecry: :GroupHug:

You are so going to buy Magic :D :laugh: and I am not going to tell you my monthly costs as Loki is a special case and it might scare you :laugh:

Gooster she may have issues going on but no need to be rude to others, perhaps have a word if the right moment appears :flowers:

Glad Bumble is doing ok, and hope the stable dancing stops soon :flowers:

Decided against going to the clinic, I did ride him quietly over the weekend on the vets orders and I haven't really seen any worsening since coming off the ventapulin. Put the heart monitor on him today in the school and his heart rate seems to be good, if being over analyitical its lower than normal but smack bang in the middle of normal ranges. His respiratory rates were very confusing, such as going up after recovery periods :wacko:

Will be on the phone in the morning to book vet in next couple of says, definately blood tests and possibly a scope. My vet is a bit laid back so I need to put my assertive hat on and get him to do some tests I think :rolleyes:

Good that Loki isnt any worse :GroupHug: horses are so bluddy confusing :laugh:

Well...Bumble is out in the field for a bit :rolleyes: Over the weekend he got worse behaviour wise literally throwing himself around the stable, kicking out and bucking. Trying to muck him out was getting risky for him and me and he was lungeing at Annie and Fern trying to bite. Bumble is so laid back and gentle this was genuinely shocking behaviour. I thought long and hard and decided the risk of having him out for part of a day is worth it if his sanity is restored. I know its against vet advice and my vet will be mad at me but Bumble was so miserable and another 6 weeks box rest was unthinkable.I know i'm doing the right thing for him but part of me thinks 'what if it all goes wrong' :rolleyes: but its a chance i have to take. Hes in a well posted and well electrified small bare patch with 3 strands of wire!!!!

Edited by collies r best

For what its worth I think you've done the right thing. You know the risks but at the end of the day you have to look out for his sanity and your safety too.

Behave yourself in your pen Bumble :flowers:

Vet coming out tomorrow afternoon, seems ages away I am such an impatient pants :laugh:

Im afraid I now have got to see a photo of this terror....my mind is imagining all kinds of monsters....:)

Good that Loki isnt any worse :GroupHug: horses are so bluddy confusing :laugh:

Well...Bumble is out in the field for a bit :rolleyes: Over the weekend he got worse behaviour wise literally throwing himself around the stable, kicking out and bucking. Trying to muck him out was getting risky for him and me and he was lungeing at Annie and Fern trying to bite. Bumble is so laid back and gentle this was genuinely shocking behaviour. I thought long and hard and decided the risk of having him out for part of a day is worth it if his sanity is restored. I know its against vet advice and my vet will be mad at me but Bumble was so miserable and another 6 weeks box rest was unthinkable.I know i'm doing the right thing for him but part of me thinks 'what if it all goes wrong' :rolleyes: but its a chance i have to take. Hes in a well posted and well electrified small bare patch with 3 strands of wire!!!!

Edited by grace