UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Gooster , thats great was wondering how the move had gone or if it was delayed :flowers:

We have snow forcast for tonight [previous snow has melted] and horses were really playing up tonight :rolleyes: Bumble decided to gallop laps of the field with Annie joining in but after 5 laps she gave up and just bounced on the spot whilst Bumble carried on for several more. The builders working on houses nearby were just watching and laughing. When Bumble calmed down and i caught him he was huffing and puffing :rolleyes: so Annie decided there must be something scary nearby so she'd better leap around and dance sidewards whilst i led them in :wacko:

Aww Milo! :wub: What a gorgeous cobby boy and all wrapped up in your expensive PJs, he looks very happy.

Glad the move went ok Gooster, he sounds settled already!

Wanda is a MOOOOOOOOOOOOO! She is always the same in winter, turns into mad killer horse, she battered poor April this morning. I know they move each other about for the haylage but this was an unprovoked attack and if she carries on being foul she is being put in solitary! Sam has done a brilliant jobby on the arena, she marked out a 20m circle, removed the snow and salted it so we now have a useable lunging or riding patch amid the frozen wastes. So Wanda had a serious lunging session, and after trying to kick my head off, doing plungy wungies and her 'I'm going to swing my head round to my side with my ears flat back and snarl at you' thing for 20 minutes and a futher 20 minutes trot and canter she consented to behave in a more normal fashion and came out blowing gently in my ear and murmuring 'carrots mum'. :wub:

Sam's Kim is broken again!!! She bites on being bridled and was just awful to watch on the lunge, just so stiff and reluctant to move. Sam got the vet thinking it was her teeth but they were fine. One test he did was to gently tap her on her between the eyes and she freaked out mega big style. Could be infected sinus so she has to go for investigation asap as she probably has a huge, permanent headache!

Poor Sam, her horses stagger from one disaster to another and she really does want to get them back to competition level and it just does not happen.

Sam has done a brilliant jobby on the arena, she marked out a 20m circle, removed the snow and salted it so we now have a useable lunging or riding patch amid the frozen wastes.

That is such a good idea. I'll put that to my YO tomorrow and see if we can sort something out. We cant do ANYTHING at the moment, the sandschool is like an ice rink. Having made so much progress with Milo in the last 2 weeks im gutted now it all has to grind to a halt because the temperature has decided to stay below zero! Even if I could keep lungeing him it would be better than nothing.

Milo definately knows im his mum, hes such a sweetheart. He whinnies to me across the field when he sees me preparing his dinner on the yard. Oh and you'll all be pleased to know that his previously hogged mane is starting to flop over so hes getting a proper mane.

My instructor is obsessed with clipping - she'll clip anything she can- and thinks I should clip and hog him, but im not so sure! If he was showing signs of getting mud fever or mites in his shaggy legs id have the hair taken off straight away, and he doesnt sweat much when hes ridden, so - so far so good. So..im working along the lines of 'if it aint broke dont fix it' :laugh: What do you all think? To clip or not to clip?

I think it depends on how much he is doing and the effect it has on him. Does he sweat up when he is working him and are you going into competition mode just yet?. If he just sweats up a bit when working I'd do a bib clip, just under his neck and between his front legs to just past the girth. Otherwise I'd leave him hairy, I'm not keen on neck and belly clips, it must be awful having your tummy naked when it's cold! :biggrin:

Lucky you! :laugh:

Just had a text from friend to say Loki and her boy were playing rather a lot so she has put some hay out for them, I had also put some out for them earlier so they are being soft and not foraging like the youngsters were in the field next door. I would say the odds are slim that he comes in with four shoes on tonight :rolleyes:

Can I have some hope there is nothing seriously wrong thoughts for Sam's Kim please. She could have a neurological problem going on in her head. She is lethargic but twitchy and reluctant to do other than walk and is stiff if pushed to trot. It could just be blocked sinuses but won't know until she is xrayed.

Hopefully that will be tomorrow but depends hugely on the snow situation, Kim is worse than last week so the xray is really important but the driving conditions have to be a big issue! So no snow tonight thoughts as well please.

Thank you!

Awwwww Blue looks really snug and Milo is looking extremely handsome :wub:

Sending loads of 'nowt serious' thoughts for Sam :GroupHug:

We had two lessons last weekend. Doing trot-canter transitions and very frustrated as I lean forward slightly when asking for canter, I know im doing it and trying very hard to stop :rolleyes:

This may sound really crazy but im also struggling to get the right diagonal, I know what it should be but even looking down at the shoulder I still dont get it right.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Anyway another lesson this weekend :elefant:

I always used to struggle about which diagonal I should be on, my cousin suggested it might be easier to look at the inside shoulder being back when you sit as opposed to outside shoulder being forward when you rise. That helped me lots!!! As for the canter, try sitting in the trot for a couple of strides before you ask and that may help you sit back as opposed to leaning forwards.