UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Well it's official, blue is moving house!!! Got to tell current YO tonight, which I am dreading!! Not got exact date yet, so am tempted to leave telling them till I have a date for moving off. I texted new yard owner this morning, as she does have 34 horses to turn out first thing with only a couple of people to help! Got a lovely reply back saying she is really pleased that we are moving on, and she will call me at the weekend to discuss moving date!! Can't wait!!! Not told blue yet, will tell him tonight!!

Clare will only get you kicked out if you do better than her and Loki :D :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: I think I only entered one there last year, I was mostly chief scorer :ph34r_anim:

Great news about the move Gooster :flowers:

Something got in the barn last night and chewed my haynet up completely :wacko: Only use it for travelling but still wasn't really necessary was it Mr Fox :laugh:

Had a note on the board last night that hay prices are going up from £4.20 a bale to £5.50, its going to be a long and poor winter!

With my Llama headed short striding fatty boomboom cob?! Yeah right :laugh:

:laugh:

Dobbin went from huge, temperamental, hairy monster cob to Dressage Horse, getting 65% on a regular basis. She would still try to kill me on an even more regular basis though, but that was just Dobbin! :biggrin:

Come on Milo, you can do it!

:laugh: I think I only entered one there last year, I was mostly chief scorer :ph34r_anim:

Oh dear, she has to be really nice to you then :laugh: :laugh:

Had the farrier out late this morning so got horses in then turned them back out once he'd gone. Annie is convinced i've gone mad, after all they came in so that must mean its teatime and bed :wacko: Shes going to be mad when i get there tonight, it was blue sky earlier so took their rugs off so they could have a good itch and roll....its raining now :rolleyes:

I let the shetlands into the arena tonight, for some reason the surface sends Monty and Lilli a bit bonkers. Banner did have a bit of trotty but soon went to the gate demanding her tea so I caught her and Monty but could I catch Lilli? No chance, she legged it up and down the arena bucking and kicking, passage and piaffe were no problem! Dinky, fluffy little tail kinked up over her back and loud snorts echoed across the field attacting Finn who joined in the fun from the other side of the fence! :laugh: I took Monty and Banner in and went back for Lilli who was still performing, eventually I got her and took her for a little walk down the livery building so say hello to Sam, then into the new livery building for a chat with the other horses. Not once did she shout for her mum and mum did not shout for baby. When I put her in mum gave a casual wicker as if so say 'oh, there you are'! I don't think weaning is going to be a problem! :biggrin:

Awww Lilly :wub:

Had a really productive day at the yard today. Helped YO clean out our office and then moved 4 enormous bales of hay into a stable so its easier for us to get to. I asked my instructor to do a lungeing trial and error lesson with me today, was really interesting.

First of all we tried him in just a bridle. Head and neck set in the same position in walk and trot. Tried him with my pessoa in the low position - same thing - just pulled against the ropes and set his head and neck in the same position.

Then we tried with side reins. Slight improvement in walk but not in trot.

Then, we cracked it. We put the side reins down inbetween his front legs and it was like suddenly he said "OH!! You want me to STRETCH! Why didnt you just say so?" :rolleyes: With the side reins on inbetween his front legs but still nice and loose he was stretching his head all the way down to the ground in walk and just kept stretching it down and holding it there. Fantastic, a million percent better. He still does Llama head in trot but I dont think it will take him long to relax in trot too. I honestly dont think hes ever been allowed to stretch properly and hes really enjoying it now. I took him for a hack yesterday and just let him have his head and it was on the floor the whole way round. So a huge improvement, im very pleased :) Maybe there is a dressage horse in there somewhere :laugh:

Hes dropped quite a bit of weight in the last 3 weeks - he needed to, he was a fatty - but im worried about it continuing to drop so may have to change his chaff over to alfa-a to give him a bit more oomph. I checked with my gullet measuring guage and hes already gone down a gullet size so had to alter his saddle again today..thank god for wintecs... :laugh:

Not been on for a while as I'm stupidly busy with work and now having 4 horses to tend its chaos!

Adding ot that my intent to start competing again!

So today our lovely Mr.Newt went to his first ever dressage competition and came 5th! Had we been doing Trailblazers we'd be through to second rounds... so am very pleased. However now I have to be the jockey rather than Steve who helps me out in the week. :unsure:154766_10150090308844579_758694578_7260613_304659_n.jpg

I think you'll agree he has changed a little bit!!

n758694578_893902_5218.jpg

Wooowwwweeee Newt what a stunner :wub: How old is he now?

Milo has got a lump on his back - he had various insect bites on him when he arrived but theres one under the saddle area that hasnt gone down. Its a hard lump, half the size of a pea. Not causing any pain/flinching etc. I guess its scar tissue left over from an insect bite...does that sort of thing go away eventually? Just a bit worried because of where it is..

Its time for me to fork out for another rug :rolleyes: He doesnt seem to hold heat particularly well. This evening when I went down to see him it was 5/6 degrees and he was only just warm in a medium turnout, his ears werent warm to the touch. I put his fleece on underneath for tonight but as its due to go down to -3 overnight during the week I think I need a heavier rug :(

Aww Newt is looking fabby!!!

Had a lesson on monster pony today, was quite good but still throwing his head around like a lemon though!! My instructor thinks he is just being naughty and trying to find ways to evade working. He goes through stages where one week he'll throw his head about, then the next week he'll spook at stupid things, then he'll be good, then he'll just refuse to bend, then we are back to the throwing the head around again. Am hoping he'll improve once I have moved farms, as he'll be out every day so will be a bit too tired to think of evil things to do!!!

Spent all of today at the farm (got there at 8am and left at 3.30!!!) sorting through all my stuff!! I can't believe how many heavy weight turn out rugs i've got!! Just goes to show how much he used to be out - these rugs haven't seen daylight for 18 months!!

Am moving him next tuesday as it is my day off!! Can't wait!! Dad has taken the day off work so he can pull the trailer for me.