UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Sounds like Wanda was certainly full of it!

The boys look fine in that pic, Blue was like a hat rack last year as there was just no grass at all and he was miserable, whereas he's a bit tubby nowwub.gif

Have finally found a dressage show local to me on a Sunday, so am going to enter it. Am going to do intro A and P12 on him, and Claire (my instructor) has said she will read for me. Last night I decided that I really need to get over my fear of schooling without Claire there, so I asked one of the other girls on the farm to just sit quietly in the corner of the school so she was there if I needed her. He was actually very good! I walked him round and then went straight onto his cone exercise to settle him. By the end of the session he was working well enough for me to ask for canter and practice my tests. We definitely need to work on the canter, as he broke on one rein, and tanked off on the other. One of the other women was watching me and said that we need to use our corners more in the canter, which is fair enough, as we made a right mess of one of them!

Got a lesson tomorrow, so might suggest to Claire that we run through the tests again and see what areas we need to work on!!

How was the lesson Gooster?

Am feeling very :biggrin: and :elefant: Went out for a ride this morning to find all the corn fields dry and so the intended hack turned into an hour in the sunshine, riding round the farm tracks - didn't have to even look at a road!!! I love this time of year :)

Am feeling very :biggrin: and :elefant: Went out for a ride this morning to find all the corn fields dry and so the intended hack turned into an hour in the sunshine, riding round the farm tracks - didn't have to even look at a road!!! I love this time of year :)

I'm just slightly green with envy! Our hacking is pants with only two rubbish off road paths and one of them is through a field with horses charging about in it so not safe to use!

Wanda has a vet check on Friday and if she is still 1/10th lame she then has to go to horsepital for further investigation! It's really interesting that after she has the seroid she becomes a raving lunatic to hack, this only used to be a feature when show jumping. She did come to me with the reputation of being an easy horse apart from the SJ but I always thought she was depressed. She had gone through several loan homes so her depression was put down to her not knowing who she belonged to. I just wonder if she has had increasing hock pain and this is what had caused her depression, now the pain has just about gone she's mega happy and lets everyone know. :biggrin: I do think it looks as though I'll be having her injected once a year from now on. If it keeps her bopping then I'm happy and it won't be that expensive, well hopefully!

Fingers crossed for a good result on Friday, it sounds as if she is feeling better :wub:

Another who is envious of your hacking Reds, glad you had fun :biggrin:

Physio was out on Saturday and very pleased with Loki, we can start schooling now, so thats the plan tonight unless the school is busy as not sure what our steering or brakes will be like :laugh:

Some pics from the weekend of the boy enjoying life, I thinks he looks quite good considering he has done not a lot for almost a year :wub:

141_4111.JPG

141_4103.JPG

140_4100.JPG

Loki is stunning Clare!! :wub: :wub: :wub: He must look fabulous strutting his stuff under saddle. And he is out with play mates now? :) Are you getting back to fitness?

Wanda should have her own comic strip! :laugh: Hope she gets the all clear on Friday and a once yearly injection sounds a fair enough deal :flowers:

I have good news (limited to as soon as I say it so as not to alert fate!): Duke has been out for about 12 hours a day since he was turned back out a couple of weeks ago and there is noheat anymore in his white foot.

Both are indeed looking much rounder now as well :biggrin:

:laugh: at Wanda's expression :wub:

Fab news about Duke, keeping everything crossed for him :flowers:

Yes Loki is now out with a group of four, he joined three and then another joined the group this week, so far so good. Although new horse has a habit of running through elec fencing and at the introduction he went through into the horsebox park along with the others and they all ran around on the hardcore. Not convinced Loki has been 100% since but maybe thats just my imagination and am trying not to dwell on it :rolleyes:

I am thinking about taking him for a gentle lesson here at the weekend Linky I sent her a long rambling email, so if she is brave enough to reply I think we will go.

Its hard to know what to do and not do with him, the ground is becoming too hard to do much out hacking, and don't want to bore him in the school at home, thought a trip out might spice his life up a bit, she is only 20 mins trailer away. Or do you think thats too much too soon :unsure:

I'd take him Clare, as you say an outing does cheer them up a bit!

Wanda and I both passed the vet today, Wanda is 100% sound and can now crack on and get her belly off the floor, she looks 11 months in foal! :laugh: I showed the vet the x ray of my foot, I'm supposed to be having my toe joint fused and was decidedly unsure if I wanted to spend weeks in plaster. Vet's opinion is that it's damn near fused anyway so better off leaving it alone! :biggrin:

Surgery is cancelled!:elefant:

GREAT news Pendlewitch - and for your foot!!!! :biggrin:

It would be something different Clare, if you haven't already been, and sounds like a good place to start getting back on track for your eventing goals. Condition of course is that you have to tell us how it goes and take some pics :laugh:

I had the worst phone call ever on Saturday morning, a lady whose house overlooks our paddocks called to say she thought Willow had broken a leg and couldn't get up. I called the vet and shot down to the field with Gary and although he was standing when we got there it was tragically true. Our little white pony had an obviously broken hind leg. I took him a bucket of food and he tucked in with obvious relish and a very lovely vet called Polly arrived very shortly. He was sedated and she waited until he was so out of it he had stopped eating before telling us to walk up the field so I kissed him and said goodbye and that was it.

To think we were mentally preparing for this to be 36 year old Winston's last Summer and then Willow who was only 12 is lost to us makes it really hard, I don't know what we're going to do.