UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Well done claire, he's looking fab!!

Had another lesson on blue today, and he was absolutely amazing! Totally different pony to the evil git of last week! The sun was out today though so that might be why - he's definitely a fair weather pony!

Spent a lot of time lunging him this week though as he is looking rather porky at the moment, and I think that has really helped him tune in and listen to me. Am having to keep him in for a couple of weeks now though as he had a bit of heat in his feet and the last thing I want is for him to get lami! This didn't go down well with his field buddy's owner though - she went mad at me last night when I told her I was keeping him in for a couple of weeks as her horse will have to go out alone for a few hours until one of the others from the group goes out! As I said to her though it's only for a couple of weeks till I can get his weight down a bit!

Grrr livery yard politics!!!!

He is very handsome, how do you get him so white?

Wanda and Kim went to their dressage clinic, to begin with Kim was a freak and Wanda was a donkey as predicted but that changed very quickly. :laugh: Kim stopped singing 'I feel pretty, on so pretty' and poncing about like a show pony, Wanda had to WAKE UP and get her belly off the floor, hard work but so worth it!

Hope Blue's feet are back to normal now :flowers:

Sounds like a very productive clinic PW :biggrin:

Last week I arranged for a lesson with a BD instructor on Saturday who is reasonably local to travel to, had a bit of a tough time this week and haven't actually been at the yard much let alone ridden since Sunday and the last thing I feel like doing is going out in the trailer for a lesson. I already cancelled a lesson with her last month due to him injuring his back so have to go, just wish I felt more motivated :rolleyes:

Glad to see this thread is still going, but it will take me ages to try to catch up with everyone's horsy news!

I was actually wondering if there are any horsy members living near me in S. Wales, and who might know of either a small, lightweight adult or experienced, small teenager, who might like to ride Bron, my 12.2hh cobby youngster and help bring her on? (I'm far too heavy!) She's backed, and is also being broken to drive.

I'd consider a shared loan to the right person, and with her remaining my own stables, because I originally bought her as a companion for my old horse and they are devoted to each other. Bron's 4 years old now, and built like a compact, Welsh Sec. C type, although only a PB Welsh.

She is going well and is sensible, but is obviously still very green, so not suited to a novice.

Thanks.

Hia,

Hope you find somebody to ride her - unfortunately im in Berkshire and way too heavy :laugh: Good luck!

:laugh: At Kim and Wanda, they sound like a right pair!

I don't know how I keep Ear clean - I guess its because he's grey so you can see every bit of dirt so I make an extra effort to make sure its gone! He's been wearing his fly rug alot in the last few weeks so that helps keep him clean/dust free but he's been naked with a fly mask on for the last week, its been SO HOT!!

We had an interesting ride today, we went out for a hack with the 2 ponies from our yard. Earl has hunted in his younger years and hates being left behind especially if the people in front trot off. So today the two ponies were in front and Earl was doing some rather spectacular unintended dressage - he did passage, leg yielding parallel down the bridle path and shoulder in :laugh: I was laughing at him the whole time - theres life in the old boy yet!!!

Aww Bron is all grown up, when did that happen doesn't time fly :ohmy: She sounds like she has matured into a lovely young lady :wub:

Getting very fed up of this dry spell, not only are the fields brown and horrible I was hoping to do some dressage this weekend but its on concrete grass and can't risk it. He is fit enough now to do some xc schooling but need the ground to ease up. We never seem to do the weather in moderation in this country :laugh:

Here she is then, Banner and her baby, Lily! :wub:

191d34d5da04.jpg

She has a huge belly! She was put to a much bigger pony for some reason, the baby is big for only 3 weeks old and is fine. Not so sure about mummy though, she has no fat on her bum or shoulders, her spine and ribs are clearly defined. She was getting a bit cross with the foal as she did not have much milk due to lack of proper feeding and her teats are maybe a bit sore. She is suffering from weatherbeat as she has been in a small, dusty area with little grazing and minimum shade and was just too tired to eat hay or haylage! I've been giving her very small amounts of Enduro and Just Grass at fairly frequent intervals, she's drunk a fair bit and is now showing much more interest in us and the haylage. I am really concerned she may have a uterine hernia and the vetty is coming out to see her asap.

I has quite a shock when I looked at her passport, she's quite well bred, what a shame she's come to this. Better pics soon!

And what's more, today was Dobbin Day! I always celebrate her freedom with pink and purple ribbons all over the yard, Wanda wears a shockingly pink headcollar and a lovely pink saddlecloth with Dobbin Forever done in silver embroidery. I have to admit she looks awful in it as pink is not the best colour for a reddish bay but she does it for Dobbin! Then I found this in the Tack Room:

dc1dc2bf392c.jpg

YO Sam had done it so we had a coffe and cake party to remember my lovely Dobbin with!

Oh wow Banner and Lily :wub: Hope Banner gets on okay with the vet :flowers:

Happy Dobbin day for yesterday, what a lovely way to remember such a special girl :wub:

I thinks I might take Loki to the all weather gallops at the weekend, there is a lady who works for the GB endurance riders who also does fitness programes and assesments with heart monitors (hopefully only on Loki :unsure: :laugh: ) for all types of horses. I am fed up with the hard ground and this sounds ideal, as hoping to do a one day event in September so need to start working on both our fitness :biggrin: Although I am not sure how he will behave as he is a spooky sod in canter :rolleyes: