UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Keep it up Reds!!! You are doing brilliantly! :biggrin: He's just enjoying himself...not sure I'd be jumping haybales though!! :ohmy: That's very brave!!!

Gooster you sound like me, Kane jumps beautifully but it's me that squeeks and gets scared so stops!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Had a fabulous hack last night, it was one of those where you don't intend on doing much but cos for once the weather was beautiful and he was really forward going and happy to be out, so we ended up doing a 2 hour hack round the lake. This is a MAJOR accomplishment as it's the furthest we've gone alone and he didn't nap once!! Had a peacock fly out at us and that just got a little jump sideways out of him, and had tractors etc and he wasn't bothered. Only time I thought I was going to have a problem was with a little JRT who decided he was going with us and followed us about a mile up the road...luckily just as I was about to turn round his owner came running up the lane!!! Once again I'm extreamly proud of my big fella. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Fantastic pictures of Rolo! What a leap!

Jumping bales... maybe you'd like to come and talk to Easta who firmly believes hay bales will eat her alive. We went out last night for three hours and found all the new bridleways that have been opened up, if you link them together is 6 miles of off road hacking!

We spent 20 minutes having a little arguement that gates do not need to be jumped, we can open them and close them nicely.

Then she was a complete sweet heart all the way aorund, through water, over ditches great but then the field with the big hay bales loomed and Easta just about freaked, not sure if she thought they were cows hiding to lynch her as she has an insane fear of cows! Eventually I managed to get her to stand next to one and touch it with her nose, then let me get on and off from it, but it was still to be treated with a level of distrust.

I've just spent and scary amount of money on a homestudy programme for horsemanship/equine science....I think I need to go and sit down. :wacko:

Yay go Duke :biggrin: He certainly enjoys his work, even if you need some persuading :laugh:

So jelous Jacky, I wish we could hack for that long off road. Wow who would have thought six months ago Kane would now be happy to go out alone for that long, tis fantastic :biggrin: :flowers:

Do you ever hear from Lynn?

Glad the schooling went well Gooster :flowers:

Good luck to Fenik for the dentist visit tomorrow :GroupHug:

Err Sarah no sorry you are wrong hay bales do in fact eat horses, Loki told me so :unsure: :rolleyes:

:biggrin: Wasn't all off road but it's single track lanes so I think I met 1 car. I know I forget sometimes how bad he was at the start, goes to show what abit of bottle and a little man with a stick shouting at you can achieve!!! :laugh: :laugh:

No never heard a thing from her! :rolleyes: I do know that poor Danny after being flavour of the month with Helen is now once again dumped forgotten in his field, I had really hoped that she had got herself together and got interested in him but it was short lived. It's makes me so angry cos he's such a sweet horse. :angry:

Jacky our old TB had the same saddle you just bought, only not as big of course being a slight chappy, twas the most comfy saddle on the yard (and fitted 3 horses so we used to fight over it)

I also had one of their saddles (again synthetic of course) for my arab x cob, it was amazingly comfy, with a nice gel seat

Glad everyone is having so much fun, great pic of Rolo jumping Jen!

I went with Sam to visit Obe tonight, he will be in horsepital for at least a week. It wasn't a cyst or ethmoid haematoma in his sinus, it was a huge patch of infection in the bone! It was all scraped away and now he has two holes cut in his head just below his eye, one is now stapled but the other has a big piece of gauze type stuff sticking out of it and a fairly revolting flap of skin sticking up behind, that must be to pop back in the hole when his gauze eventually comes out and the hole can heal up. He is being sedated every morning so some super fantastic anti biotic anti fungal powder can be puffed into the hole, it then comes down his nose! :sick01:

He is still a bit away with the fairies at the moment with the constant sedation but tomorow they are going to try to do the powder just using a twitch, that could be interesting!

We really miss him on the yard, he is such a character, (read thug) and it will be so nice to have him back as soon as possible and hear him kicking hell out of his door demanding breakfast!

Excitement in the magical land of Lady Tara last night.

Popped out to the shops and came back to find Lady T's field swarming with bullocks! The little devils had smashed down a fence and barged their way in. Obviously their 40 plus acres weren't enough!

Finally located Her Ladyship in the middle of the mob.... Hmmmmmmm...... Obviously complete unfazed as stuffing her face delicately eating a blade of grass as usual. Give her a call and she comes trotting over. Check her over and she's fine.

Phoned up Bernard the farmer who owns the fields to get the number of the farmer who rents it for the cattle.

As it is past 7pm, cattle farmer is probably either in the fields harvesting, or as it's Friday, in the pub!

Right, bullock herding. Do we have an ex working dog of any description to give us a hand? Nope, all a bunch of tennis ball obsessed nit-wits at the moment. Discuss the pros of throwing a tennis ball into the centre of the very pleased with themselves looking bunch of herberts, and decide that is just evil....

Luckily this lot are actually very sweet and quite placid, so it didn't take long to round 'em up on foot and point them in the right direction. Bernard has commented before about how tame they are, and that they seem to like nose scratches..... really, can't think how that might have happened.... :ph34r_anim: A certain horse who was following on behind me has obviously been taking tips from collies who do know what they are about and was doing a damned good herding attempt. I was quite impressed.

We got the bullocks out from where they had come in and off they all plodded. Paul went to get stuff to re-inforce the fence. Bernard was coming round first thing in the morning to strengthing it, so we just had to make it safe for the night.

Tara (notice no Lady) came up for a snuffle and a cuddle. She had a treat, and then started walking back with me towards the house. Then she did the ear thing that means she is plotting something. I saw her look towards the broken fence and the bullocks and before I could say don't you dare, she had spun on the spot, kicked up her heels and cantered off in the direction of her new chums! She did a beautiful jump - yes Reds, Tara jumped - over what was left of the fence and went in the cattle field. She stopped, looked at me coming up behind her, and I swear that bloody horse went TEEEHEEE!!! :angry: :laugh: The she proceeded at a sedate pace to see what was happening. I didn't know whether to be cross or not, I was rather impressed with the jump!

I got her halter and lead rope and met her round at the other gate. Thankfully even a new field full of bullock mates and their stuff to eat isn't more tempting than Mummy with Tara's Scooby Snacks in her bum bag!

She was uncermoniously put in with the goats while Daddy repaired the fence. The goats were not impressed in the slightest! Tara was happy because she could try and wedge herself in their house and steal their tea!

Fence fixed, Mark Squirrel popped up with randy foster dog, Rampant Rex. We were going to leave Tara in with the goats overnight until Bernard had been the following morning, but as I walked away after putting in an extra water bucket she was throwing a right old strop and everytime I walked away she was trying to push the gate open! I want my Mum and my field, where I can see my Mummy in her house!! I got her out again, and Paul & Mark had great fun holding her while I finished sorting out the goats. I WANT TO BE WITH MY MUMMY!!!! :wub:

When we were done, we all went back to the house and Tara went back in her field. She did her rounds of the field as she does everynight, and then settled down for some supper. After all, it had been a very busy evening and a girl has to keep her strength up!

That pic of Rolo is fabulous, I love a boy who knows how to enjoy himself :biggrin:

I don't believe Tara would be so norty, I think we need some recent pics of her to be sure :wub:

Today I have mainly been hanging about waiting for the vet to do my vaccination visit and arguing with the receptionist, who said my credit account has lapsed because they haven't seen my horse since last September. I resisted the temptation to say 'Yes, well that would be because fortunately he hasn't needed the vet, you bubblehead.'

I am sorting out masses of horse books for the table top sale at our yard BBQ tonight in aid of the Brooke Hospital. It's for a good cause and I need the space but it's killing me to get rid of them. Keeping my dressage books though, all the activity on this thread has inspired me to dust off my happy hacker boots and do a bit more :biggrin:

hi guys, havent really posted on here before apart from to give jackie a kick up the backside occasionally!!!!but look in regularly.but am going to be in here more as have just bought a foaly and will be requiring moral support and potentially sedative regularly!still wibbling a little on the have i taken on more than i can cope with front!!!

p.s can anyone help me post a pic of foaly? am rubbishwith technology!!

Have updated Newts thread but my Dad came over last ngiht with some pics hes taken of the horses... I retract my statement about Newt! There are some lovely ones of Newt so thought I'd share!

We're off out in a minute to hack the norty two out and then off to Draycott to see my friend eventing and no doubt play groom for the day! :rolleyes:

DSC_0493.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

For some reason photobucket wonn't let me rotate them this morning!

And here my fav of Eastab!

DSC_0452-1.jpg

Hope LadyT has got over her excitement yesterday, am loving her sense of humour :laugh: :wub:

Sabina if you want to email the pic to me I will post it for you :)

Oh wow Newt looking even more stunning in those pics :wub: I do love greys :wub: Easta looking gorgeous as ever too :biggrin:

Hope the tabletop sale went well Jules :flowers:

Dressage didn't go too well today to put it mildly :rolleyes: Loki took exception to the judges car parked in the gateway (was first time and last time we have done test in 20 x 60), plus the window-wipers were going.

It went something like "oh nice centre line Clare well ridden, hmm why is his ears in my face, okay need to try and track left, oh we seem to be doing half pass in canter, I am sure this isn't in the test, just need to get his bum round, oh extended canter, oh crap I was supposed to circle back there ....... it went downhill from there :laugh:

Okay looking at the postive, we did get correct canter lead both times :biggrin: and there was a nasty moment in the warm up field, when a loose horse bolted into the warm up and ran at me and Loki galloping past about a foot away, and Loki stood like a rock (in shock I suspect!) so that was his one redeeming moment :laugh:

I am very relieved to say that because of the rain no video was taken of my five mintues of sheer embarrassment :laugh:

OK, from many years of lurking mainly on this thread, I finally have something to contribute myself :)

Bear in mind, I was the original kid who was going to grow out of horses according to all my mums friends - I got to 17 and through away all my schooling to abandon my A levels mid course and go and work with PBA's and Palominos....... From then on I've done most horsey things, worked with driving horses (4 Welsh Section D stallions), hunters (sole charge of the ex MFH's 2 heavy weights), looked after a small livery yard, had my own pony, taught #1 son to ride, then broke said pony to drive, then had a very nasty fall which knocked my confidence and I virtually gave up my dream of ever having my own equine to play with after Silver went out on load due to financial problems when my marriage broke down 15 years ago.

I have a very good friend who is also into horses and dogs, who has recently moved to a nearby village. where she has become friendly with the owner of a Welsh Section D stud. She has become nominated as the cheif carer of one of the infoal mares, and she invited me to come along and watch their #1 stallion at a local in hand show. The yard breeds as much for temperament as anything, and the poor boy was no match for a couple of snorting beasties from London, so he was only placed 4th :(

DSC00968-1.jpg

But this is Sam - 3 years old, still entire, terrible worry wort, standins about 14.2, but is still growing after a not brilliant start, so should make maybe 15hh. He is a total sweetie and just typical of all the horses at the yard - and just my sort!! I now have an open invitation to go back when ever I want. They are very into positive and reward based training for all their animals (and kids) and even have a round pen for doing Intelligent horsemanship stuff. The current projects are a pair of foals from the sales, which we seperated from each other for the first time yesterday........

I am going to have such fun!

I've missed loads but that pic of Rolo over the pole is fantastic :laugh:

Glad Fran that you can now get back into horses. Becks - Josh looks like he was meant to be on a pony! Sarah - Lady T has as much character as any of your BCs!! Sarah -those pics of Newt & Easta are lovely :wub: Clare, sorry you had a rotten day today but, hey, it's just one day :rolleyes:

Taking advantage of the good weather this weekend, we bathed Finn yesterday and Frant today. Frant was covered in bot eggs so spent an age getting them off his shoulders, neck and legs. Livery owner comes back from her holiday on Wednesday so I will be giving my month's notice then. To be fair to her, Frant has been really well looked after there - and I've had some fun, including a natural horsemanship lesson - but I want him back home because I prefer him here. It's nothing to do with the way he's looked after but I miss him. He's lost a bit of weight there but that's probably because I was trying out the Simple System on him and he won't eat enough of it to keep weight on so I've reverted to old fashioned bran, nuts, sugar beet and (as a last resort cos I know it puts condition on him without blowing his mind) Baileys No. 1. My biggest concern is his feet - my farrier was brilliant and I've used the yard farrier who is supposed to be good but I'm not impressed so I'll be glad to get him home just for that.