UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Before I Give Up On My Dog!

plecostrum

"but she barks when i am not in lol it is one of them i think where we will just have to dissagree lol barking is unwanted behaviour so to give in to her bark letting her in isnt that reinforcing it"

How do you know she barks when you're not in? Constant barking is unwanted behaviour but barking to say she wants to come in isn't.

". when i want her to stay out if i have visitors who dont like her etc she shouldnt be dictating when she wants to come in by barking"

Why not? she's a dog and barking is her way of speaking. She's telling you she's unhappy being shut outside. If you have visitors who don't like her maybe you need to consider what your priorites are. Lots of people don't like or are afraid of dogs but you could confine her to a room with a stairgate rather than shutting her outdoors.

." If she barked at birds or other things then far enough but if you saw her on that trampoline looking in for me to let her in when she sees us she runs to the door. "

Because she wants to come in!!!!!

"I know she is a dog but i would really not like to annoy the neighbours by a dog barking if i leave her in the garden this weather it is no more than 1 hr."

1 hr is too long. If she were being walked for an hour in this weather at least she'd be keeping warm through exercise. An hour in DECEMBER sitting waiting for you to let her in is cruel.

"As far as the diet goes I always feel like complete biscuits are boring she never took to it! I would swop her gladly if i thought it would help her"

Any new food should be introduced gradually and "boring" dry food can have pasta, fish etc added to it to make it nicer.

"I promise to walk her everyday for a week Rain or doubetdly shine lol could do with the exercise myself

i will make a note of the time and length and see how she is? and if it alters her fussing behavior? Myself i think it wont might the slightest, in the summer we did long walks every morning and biking with the kids. "

You're being pessimistic already and you've not tried it yet! One thing though, if it does alter her behaviour for the better or at least what you would consider acceptable, you cannot just stop after one week. This will have to continue for the rest of her life.

"I think i do agree with the insecure i think she not protects me but worries about me when i am not here and stuff i think he contributed to that"

I'm no behaviourist but I don't think she's worrying about YOU at all, I think she's worried for herself. She's scared without you and there are ways of working on that to make sure she's happy and content to be left alone for SHORT periods of time.

"He really wasnt ready for the dog but didnt say nothing till she here. He grew to like her but didnt like her around him then other times real soppy with her -so bit confusing i guess. I did every thing for her and think thats made her bond to me stronger."

Well he's no there now and though I'm sorry for you, it's now your job to make sure she gets over the confusion and lives a long and happy life.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SNOW- i am entitled to feel annoyed with some people responses like dump her. I am definatley far from being reported from the RSPCA so that was uncalled for either. Your forum is for behaviour and training advice that is all i have asked for!

JUST been on a nice brisk cold half hour walk to fetch the kids got someone to bring them to me at the gate walked back in and she is still grunting like i am ignoring her but its tea time. TIME will tell this is day 1 i will do anything to make this dog less depended on my attention and affection and will take any constructive crisitism both good and bad and have already put in place some new things that i think may help.

Good for you for not being frightened off!

Two things that have not yet been mentioned that I have found have helped me be able to get on with my work with the dogs about (I work from home):

1) I feed my dogs 4 small meals a day. This is 2 times more than recommended, but has made such a difference to my loud wingey greyhound. Because she is never really hungry, she seems to be much more relaxed.

2) Clicker training is a lot of fun for you and your dog, and seems to be quite tiring for their little brains. It might be worth starting a few clicker sessions, just for 10 minutes or so, would help her not be bored and more likely to spend the time dozing rather than glued to your leg.

Now my dog is shouting for her tea, so I have to go :-)

JUST been on a nice brisk cold half hour walk to fetch the kids got someone to bring them to me at the gate walked back in and she is still grunting like i am ignoring her but its tea time. TIME will tell this is day 1 i will do anything to make this dog less depended on my attention and affection and will take any constructive crisitism both good and bad and have already put in place some new things that i think may help.

That's great news :flowers:

You're right it is day 1.

I've had another couple of thoughts - do you leave her toys down all the time? If so it may help if you pick some up and put them out of the way and then alternate them so they keep her interest if that makes sense?

Also, my dogs (i can only speak for mine) thrive on routine. I try and walk and feed them at roughly the same times each day, this way they know what to expect each day.

Keep us updated with your progress :)

Plecostrum, no-one has advised you to dump your dog. This is a rescue forum, we see enough dumped dpogs every day without advising other people to dump theirs. YOU said you wanted help beofre YOU put her on a rehoming site.

Glad you took her out today. If you can manage another walk tonight and a longer one tomorrow I'm sure she'd appreciate it :)

Well done for asking for help :D it couldn't have been easy and to many owners would have just dumped her at a rescue without even trying :angry:

Please take the good advise and don't give up on her and I am sure she will be your best friend who will never leave you :wub:

TIME will tell this is day 1 i will do anything to make this dog less depended on my attention and affection and will take any constructive crisitism both good and bad and have already put in place some new things that i think may help.

but she will always look to you to provide attention and affection. You are the only thing in her life and are the centre of her life. Please don't try and suppress her natural joy, :flowers:

Piccies?

I don't think leaving food down till she eats it is right either. Five minutes then pick up and throw away. Unless dried obv. :wink:

i do sympathise with you. i, too, have a staffy x and she had a load of (minor) problems when we first got her. it was a very difficult and upsetting time and i wanted to return her after the first week !! :ohmy:

but 3 years later, we have the most adorable, loving little girl you could ever wish for. we've overcome most of the problems she had or have got them to an acceptable level, however, there was no magic cure. it has taken a lot of time, patience and perseverance.

it can't be easy for you as a single parent, christmas coming up etc but if you want to try and improve things, not just for you but for your dog as well, then listen to the advice from the good folk on here and try and put it into practice. don't be afraid to ask more questions, you will get a lot of help and support, if people can see that you're trying but things aren't going well.

i'm sure that if you're prepared to put the effort in, then you'll be succesful. it's difficult, i know, with young children as well but i'm afraid there's no quick fix.

Everyone.

You catch more flies with honey.

Please try to keep advice positive - I know it is hard for those on the "sharp end" of rescue who are inundated with unwanted dogs. But posting negative comments when someone is asking for help is not useful.

Also - if you are asking for help here - remember that all advice is just that - advice from other dogs owners, some may be trainers, maybe not.

While every suggestion may not be suitable - there are always going to be some good points - please don't discard them out of hand because they do not suite your lifestyle. There are no magic cures with dog behaviour, it's all down to perseverence, understanding and some hard work.

Thanks for listening.

when i want her to stay out if i have visitors who dont like her etc she shouldnt be dictating when she wants to come in by barking.

I know she is a dog but i would really not like to annoy the neighbours by a dog barking if i leave her in the garden this weather it is no more than 1 hr.

If someone came to my house and didnt like my dogs, tough!! This is my dogs home, and anyone visiting me has to accept that. If you dont like my dogs, dont visit me :rolleyes:

Reading back through your posts, I think your staffy is left too long alone, and a 5 minute walk to your Mums isnt sufficiant excersise for her, although I see your trying to do something about that, so well done for trying. Ive got 2 dogs that follow me everywhere too, and sometimes it can get a bit too much, but they love me and want to be with me all the time, the same as your girl. Is it really such a problem :unsure: Its a normal staffy trait to want to be with their humans all the time, theres nothing at all wrong with your dog, shes behaving normally.

Leaving her outside in this weather for an hour isnt good. Does she have shelter? I dont blame her for barking to come in, Id be calling for someone to let me in if I was locked out in this horrible weather for an hour with no coat on and no shelter.

Im glad you posted, because maybe we can help you to make life happier for your dog, it sounds like a pretty sad life for her the way things are at the moment and if your willing to take on board the advice given to you, you will both be more relaxed. Please dont get the hump and vanish, just because you dont like some of the replies, you did ask for help. I can see you are having a lot of problems, but most of them are simple things to sort out, and are down to the way you are treating your dog, not the dog herself. Im sure you wernt serious about putting this little girl that you hand-reared since 10 days old, onto a rehoming site. At least I hope not :unsure:

Noo i didnt hand rear someone got wrong end of stick

i fostered/babysat - mom and 8 pups from 10days till 10 wks old till time to go. The male pup stayed till 4mths

amber was always nervous compaired to the male pup I personally think she become funny the day she had that microchip in I would never have it done when there tiny again she couldnt walk i am sure he jammed her muscle/bone. I cant compare with male pup he didnt have it done. It took her 2 days to get over that. She couldnt even get out of her bed to walk to us. She was very nervous puppy from then.

MELP it has been removed it was there I am not here to name them!

HERES OUR UPDATE

Day 2 Took her to the school this morning had to watch son in thru the fence but he doesnt mind. Met a man with a rake doing the law she was very nervous of it. He let us on the grass to smell it but she was lying down to sniff it and she didnt like him he was holding it she hid behind my leg after a few chuffs. oh and some plastic santas on the front garden of someones house like little knomes she didnt like them.

Came home loaded dish washer and then we have played fetch for half hour. Door is well and truly wide open and i am sitting here with my coat on lol she goes out for a look about or a mad run then comes back dives straight on me so now i am covered in mud lol i try to make her sit for a stoke but she just has to put them paws on me. Even brushed her too.

Have to go dentist this afternoon so i will have to leave her but i have done the right thing this morning and feel that a few hours without me inside she should be ok plus i have no choice. She has got in her bed behind me now she is a little whiny/whickering i think she likes the sound of her own voice when i move the chair she is at the side of me wanting to get on my lap but i push her down so she has gone back to bed i think she will go to sleep in a min. I think she sleeps with one eye open cause if i get up she is awake.

Never said before but her diet is all cooked i dont like the BARF RAW they say you can use bones chicken wings necks and stuff. I dont think my insurance would pay if one got stuck as i fed it her. so she has 4 lambs hearts and pasta for brekki Someone will have to tell me what difference it makes raw to cooked. i boil/steam her things, I just had a taste it nice ox heart is pretty good too lol kids always say whats for tea till i tell them what it is lol.

Can someone tell me the name of those natural healthy biscuits dont mind a little more expense if she likes it, i need to look for some free samples online. I use butchers or pedigree biscuits complete but i use it as a mixer she dont really like it and will pick out any large bits of meat and leave rest. She will eat it during the day when she knows there nothing else. Or if i fill a plastic bottle she has great fun throwing them out i usually add a few small bits of cheese to the bottom. At present i have brown biscuit all up the hallway i find them when there stuck to my feet it a patterned carpet.

You might want to look at her diet - it sounds to me as if she's getting waay too much protein - 4 lambs hearts is a lot, most average sized dogs would get one for a meal. Also, by feeding a commercial complete food and then adding meat you are defeating the object of feeding a complete meal, because it is just that - complete (and you might want to steer away from Pedigree and Butchers as well, up there with Bakers complete for feeding the nuttiest dogs I've had in puppy classes - changed to something far simpler, like Autarky, Nutro, or Burns and they were different dogs!)

Hmm, now we have entered the realms of debate.

I would say that the whole protein percentage thing is very arguable, from all I have read. And I don't believe that any 'complete' food gives a perfect nutritional mix for every dog, any more than I believe there is any one food that would suit every human. Nor do I think that there is anything wrong with supplementing a 'complete' food to add variety.

Today my dogs had 4 small meals of James Wellbeloved Lamb and Rice (which I'd recommend as a good quality dry food). With breakfast they had some Nature's Menu, with lunch, porridge and grated carrot, with tea, a sardine in ketchup, and supper, a scrambled egg. I think a bit of variety is a good thing.

Having said that, I agree that 4 lamb's hearts sounds like an awful lot, and that Bakers Complete contains some very dodgy sounding stuff indeed.