UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Before I Give Up On My Dog!

plecostrum

Where do i start i have a staffyX?

we think maybe a rotti somewhere along the line due to colouring of mom dad was a pedigree staff

She has seperation anxiety self diagnosis and she is driving me insane

If i leave her home i think she howls but the neighbours are too polite to say if i leave her out she barks

If i am home and she is in the garden she stand on the trampoline to look in the window barking when she sees me she runs to the door and scratches it if i dont open she is back barking on trampoline i have let her in and she is in hallway playing with some toys so isnt annoying me lolol but if i move she will be here and probably trying to get on my lap lolol

When i am home she follows me round like a sheep i have to tell her to stay else she would follow me for wee if she could

if i go upstairs she sits and crys behind the stairgate i installed to keep her down

Only time i am safe is bedtime she will go to bed and be quiet till the next day If i have been out tho evening and put her to bed if she hears me come in and creep upstairs she will howl

I am at my wits end and feel so useless I have recently seperated from my partner and now a single parent i cant afford to take her to a pschyo therapist or trainer so need some general help and advice and desperately need to borrow a bark collar spray type to see if it will work as i am willing to buy one but people have mixed advice on if they work. I really cant afford to waste money if it is useless. I am looking to buy second hand if anyone has one cheap

Soooo please help me save my bitch from ending up on the for homing site!!

I have kongs toys and other things which does keep her amused she loves soft squeeky but she shreds them up but keeps her occupied

Oh and she steals when i am out the room (a box of maltesers and some cadbury fingers this week) and purposely gets on the sofa as she is not allowed she runs up and down on it and thrives on waiting for me to go in and tell her off so i dont lolololol

DOGS WHOD HAVE THEM!!!!

Other than that little rant she is very timid and quiet and such a scardy cat!

I often wonder if a week in a kennel would sort her out but dread going on holiday in case that makes her worse!

SHE was 12mths old on 19th oct 06 if that helps

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other info would be useful before advising you on her barking issues.

But just one thing, please keep all chocolate out of her reach as it is very toxic to dogs and she could end up very ill if she eats it. Many, in fact, probably most dogs will take food that is left within their reach so don't blame her for this, it's the owner's responsibility to keep food where the dog can't get it if they don't want them to have it.

"If i leave her home i think she howls but the neighbours are too polite to say if i leave her out she barks "

You leave her out when you're not home do you mean?

"If i am home and she is in the garden she stand on the trampoline to look in the window barking when she sees me she runs to the door and scratches it if i dont open she is back barking on trampoline i have let her in and she is in hallway playing with some toys so isnt annoying me lolol but if i move she will be here and probably trying to get on my lap lolol"

So your dog loves you, is that a crime?

"When i am home she follows me round like a sheep i have to tell her to stay else she would follow me for wee if she could "

So she does listen when you tell her to stay then, so what's the problem there?

"Only time i am safe is bedtime she will go to bed and be quiet till the next day If i have been out tho evening and put her to bed if she hears me come in and creep upstairs she will howl "

Is there a problem with going to see her when you come in? You'd greet any other member of the family wouldn't you?

"I am at my wits end and feel so useless I have recently seperated from my partner and now a single parent i cant afford to take her to a pschyo therapist or trainer so need some general help and advice and desperately need to borrow a bark collar spray type to see if it will work as i am willing to buy one but people have mixed advice on if they work. I really cant afford to waste money if it is useless. I am looking to buy second hand if anyone has one cheap"

Do not go down the route of anti-bark or spray collars.

"Soooo please help me save my bitch from ending up on the for homing site!!"

Are you serious?

"I have kongs toys and other things which does keep her amused she loves soft squeeky but she shreds them up but keeps her occupied "

Do you play WITH her or just leave her to play by herself?

"Oh and she steals when i am out the room (a box of maltesers and some cadbury fingers this week) and purposely gets on the sofa as she is not allowed she runs up and down on it and thrives on waiting for me to go in and tell her off so i dont lolololol

DOGS WHOD HAVE THEM!!!!"

It sounds like she wants your attention. Can I ask why she's not allowed on the sofa?

"Other than that little rant she is very timid and quiet and such a scardy cat! "

Well you've answered your own questions about some of her behaviour. Spending more time with her might help her become more confident. Is she a rescue dog? Do you know her history?

"I often wonder if a week in a kennel would sort her out but dread going on holiday in case that makes her worse! "

No! you have comiited to owning a dog, dumping her in a kennel for a week will not solve her problems. You need to work the issues out BEFORE you think about holidays.

Hiya

Other people with more experience than me will come up with ideas to help you and your lovely dog when you've given them a bit more information. I can see that she's driving you nuts but please don't give up on her. You obviously love her or you wouldn't be asking how to get her behaviour acceptable. I think I may be a bit softer on my animals than you are on yours because they are allowed to do pretty much whatever they want in the house (which doesn't mean you're wrong - dogs have to fit in to their individual family's needs).

I'm sure that kennels would only make things worse so don't even think about it. I don't know whereabouts you are, but I often look after people's dogs in my own home when they're away so if you're in the Midlands and you need to go away, please feel free to get in touch and I'll help out if I can.

Good luck with her. Time and patience can work wonders.

Diane

Me again!

Forgot to say that there's a very good book called "understanding your rescue dog" (and there are others in the series) by Carol Price. Amazon have it. Helped me to understand a mad border collie I had.

Diane

:huh:

Your dogs doing nothing wrong except adoring you. Why shut the back door whens shes out? Leave it open and put on a jumper.

Get more stairgates and ignore her if you have to go out the room.

Try anxiety to help her relax.

Shes on the sofa cos shes a 12 month old dog not cause she thinks its funny and winding you up. Why tell her off for it? She isnt destroying it is she? If you honestly think its attention shes after, ignore her if she does it!

Shes a baby and acting like one. Your her m,um, you have to teach her not dump her.

My Hector had seperation anxiety and i'm sorry to tell you but he never got over it, i just had to accept the fact that was him even if it drove me mad some days :rolleyes: I got Hec when he was 18mths old, he'd been kept outdoors and was only allowed in the house to be caged, never exercised or trained. I think that was why he couldnt bear me leaving him even to go into another room and while i got him over his dog aggression and his attempt at dominating us i never could get the SA sorted.On the onetime we went on holiday i had someone move in to look after Hec and the other animals as i knew kennels would upset him no matter how good they were.

Do you walk her, play with her, groom her, stroke her??

It doesn't seem like you interact with her at all. What were your reasons for getting a dog?

To be honest it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with her. My dogs are lovely but i stopped interacting with them for even a day i think they would be behaving exaxctly like your girl is now.

I don't understand about the following you part .?Murphy follows me every where he lies in the bathroom or just outside when i am having a shower ,to the toilet he lies outside ,he goes mad when i come in after being out HE LOVES ME and just wants a bit of love back When he is outside i leave the door open!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friends dog is a nightmare and she would swop with me anyday. Hers barks at everything in or out. We would all like the perfect dog but whats perfect!!

I took her to training lesson but learnt nothing we hadnt already done ourselves If i could drive then i would consider agility as she would be real good. she Just needs to learn to ignore other dogs though first she will run to them when out if she could to play but she is very domineering.

My dog in home is very good she has very good learning like Wait stay leave mine(drop) she will play dead do a figure of 8 between my legs, she does a up and over trick,

out and about i have never fully trusted her so i keep her at my side where she is safer,

She will play fetch but then lets me know when she doesnt want to play, we dont play tug o war never liked that

She is a georgeous little thing and spoilt and NO i got at least 17 year or more with her

i just want some advice to help us along the way - she is not due to go anywhere lol but i would if i thought it was in her best interest but i wouldnt do that lightly or easily.

There is nothing wrong with going on holiday i just dont have the luxury of sending her to friends or family like other people so dumping her is not the right word but i want to know that she will be ok not miss me or that it wont make her worse.

Due to my circumstances and seperating from my partner and becoming a single parent i worry about her if i need to get a job. At present i work voluntary i leave her 9 -3.30 tues and fri most other days i leave her half hour for school runs she isnt allowed at school so i cant take her. so i am in all day

On the evenings i am in most times or pop out for tea 7-10ish fri nite curry nite weekends im out sat 10-2pm sunday 1-6

I dont think these are excessive times to be left, when i see people around me who work 9-5pm everyday

I do have a crate for a great dane lolol yes i brought it big so she would have more room i could use that if someone thinks it would help. I gave up with it when she was 6mths she need more space so she has a 15ft by 12ft kitchen to move in.

My children are 10 and 5.

She has been with us since 10days as her mom was my sisters dog who moved in when her partner left. But i was left with Amber my bitch.

Dont get me wrong I love my dog and her little ways do annoy me but with my situation at present being up in the air.

Exercise has gone out the window a little for her and trips to nans are her walks 5 mins with a 30mins lie in front of the fire then back. I try at least one good walk a week but then she isnt getting a run due to me not trusting her when out or to come back and other dogs and stuff. Where my partner did let her off. She did do more what he said when out and for me she does what told in the house.

Feeding - she has meat, chicken frozen mince offal or beef knuckles occasional meat or spag bol left over in her own bowl at the end. No feeding tit bits or stuff of the kids nanny i have to watch her she gives her the odd crisp i go mad. She has on top of that kongs with biscuits and paste or peanut butter. that stinky stuff We do pedigree when desperate but she not keen or just the biscuit complete i will leave there till she eats it but she is stubborn might take a day or so.

My relationship was quite loud so she was aware of that and doesnt like shouting

She can be quite wary of things she will chuff not bark, carrier bags sometimes, sometimes men she chuffs but will let them touch her but you can see she is worried.

Hope i havent forgot anything

I do leave her out when not in like recently for the few hours not if its all day that why i wanted to test out a collar. It wont work inside for her howling. If she gets bored she will eat what she can chew but she is 12mths i dont expect perfection she loves to eat buttons and zips of the washing pile. I put everything up as best i can the chocolates i was out the room having a wee sooo couldnt help that, the advent calenders are well out of reach was just one of those things.

she hates cows and fishermen s poles lolol

and the fatty is now on my lap trying to get comfortable for a sleep lol

Exercise has gone out the window a little for her and trips to nans are her walks 5 mins with a 30mins lie in front of the fire then back. I try at least one good walk a week but then she isnt getting a run due to me not trusting her when out or to come back and other dogs and stuff. Where my partner did let her off. She did do more what he said when out and for me she does what told in the house.

IMHO this is why she is behaving in the ways you describe, she has lots of pent up energy and needs to have a way of channelling it.

If you cannot give her more exercise at the moment doing some training in your garden with her would help. Teach her tricks etc, this will tire her out mentally.

In the long term though she needs to be getting more than 10 minutes a day walking

She on my lap now i am covered in hair from stroking her and she is making me type one handed as she is falling asleep on my arm lol she has load of attention just when she isnt getting it she acts like a child she stands behind me grunting lol then she runs off all over the sofa lol She is still a baby but thought there might be something i could do

i had been fostered her, mom and 8 pups from my sister. So fell in love with her so to finish my 2 point 4 family she stayed. Same reason everyone else gets a dog - we all loved her. Not everyone sits pondering WHY?? She wasnt for xmas if thats what your thinking

I dont leave her out when in if you know what i mean but when i just come in and she is barking i am reluctant to open the door until she stops. Isnt that teaching her if she barks she can come in so. I wait till she stops then make her wait outside sitting then tell her she can comein lol

She just craves attention and some is never enough following me drives me mad I sometimes purposely get up turn around and sit back down lololol or when i leave the room i shut the door so she cant follow me then go back in

If i am trying to cook tea and she is sitting on my foot lol on computer she is trying to get on my lap or sitting on the wheels of the chair to get as close to me as she can then i need to clean upstairs she will sit at the bottom and moan if the gate is open she will try to sneak up but i send her back down and make her wait or shut gate. she will lie there till i come back down. she gets so excited to see me like i been gone hours lol i could have just gone for a wee

Does anyone thing coming upstairs with me would help or keep her staying down? it more for the kids toys she would pinch them I am hoping to give her acces to the hall way and landing when i am convinced she wont wee as she does still have accidents especially if i fed her something late evening. once my wooden floor is in hall it wont matter.

I am here to get help for her by all accounts she is fine lol and it is normal.

I just dont want her to be a nuisance to my neighbours in or out.

This morning i was annoyed maybe i should advertise my X on here and spend 24/7 with the dog and let her sleep in my bed!!

I give her plenty of mental simulation with food based toys which she will spend hours on.

I do teach her new tricks too and we play fetch in the hall

You dont realise how hard it is too get motivated to go walking when you have kids in tow with dark nights and the weather.

I used to take her when hubby got home a walk around block or he would take her out. I just need to reorganise my time. I hope the exercise helps but she hates it lol when i get the lead she runs off to hide lol or lies in her bed submissive lol she is ok once she is out. I think its more the halti she dont like!

She is not craving attention unreasonably! Shes left a long time for four days a week, doesnt get walked. Shes bored senseless! Get her out more. Occupy her more, shes bored! You have to make the effort. Theres nothing wrong with her at all.

You dont realise how hard it is too get motivated to go walking when you have kids in tow with dark nights and the weather.

four kids here, they dont get a choice and neither should yours. Mine are younger then yours are.

about feeding her meet, I took the liberty of copying this of another forum (since it's written by my fiancee I think I'll be fine :happy: )

To cut a long story short, too much protein can make reactive types dogs more reactive, nervous type dogs more dogs, hyper dogs more hyper, aggressive dogs more aggressive.

Basically, amino acids in protein trigger neurotransmittors in the brain, which can heighten said states.

It's a bit more complicated, so check out Canine Neuropsychology by James O'Heare.

lots of useful advise from others, more exercise sounds like it would help her.

As for not letting her in when she barks, how else is she supposed to let you know she wants to come in? If she doesn't bark you won't *know* when she has had enough of being out? So I am not sure I get your logic on that one.