UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Took Gyp To The Vet Today

boosboss

Thanks for all the positive thoughts. Unfortunately there is a partial tear to the cruciate ligament and the vet favours operating, as the likelyhood is that a full tear would eventually develop. Also, the xrays showed some hip displacsia (sp) (vet not worried about that) and some arthritis on the knee joint. So we've got lots of Rimadyl and Glucosamine and will be booking Gyp in for op late next week/early following week. Gyp not very happy this evening, feeling very sorry herself :sad02: Getting lots of cuddles. :)

:GroupHug: I am sorry, but this operation does have a good success rate, I know several dogs that have had it and all are doing well. If Gracie was a younger dog, she would have it as well.

Did your vet do a blood test before putting Gyp on Rimaldyl? This is something my vets now do automatically and continue to do every 4 to 6 months. Gracie is on Metacam and it seems to be working.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was because I refused to give Tommy Remaldyl without a blood test that we found out she had renal failure. If Remaldyl had been give she would have been dead withing 48 hours but she lasted another 5 weeks pain free and being throughly spoilt. My vets now do blood tests before giving it to dogs but they seem to prefer Metacam now which isn't as bad. If your dogs organs are good, Remaldyl is find for them.

• 4 weeks later...

Gyp is going in tomorrow for her operation :unsure: It's been hard to convince myself that she needs it, but even though the limp is very slight, it's still there. So today we went for a very long walk up and down Box Hill, as she'll not be going on any long walks for a while, whilst she recupperates :( She's going to my sisters (her 2nd home - which she loves and gets loads of attention) for the duration of her recovery, approx six weeks. I'm going to miss her terribly (not sure Boo will, little monkey), but she'll be as good as new when she comes home :) Please wish her well for the op :flowers: