UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Noo Allotment

houndzrus

We have just signed up for this 1/2 plot allotment not far from home. It's a blank canvas at the moment, but so far plans are small, just to grow potatoes, onions, carrots, courgettes for a start. We met lots of people up there this morning and someone is going to rotovate half of it for us. We won't be planting all of it, as we don't want to set ourselves up to fail.

Dogs are allowed, so Jack and Cherry will be welcome when we're there. I'm busy planning the crops now :biggrin:

Now all we need is a shed, a wheelbarrow and some tools :laugh:

What we can't get over is the price, £18 for the whole year! I thought that was very good :unsure:

Any tips anyone? How to avoid mistakes etc. Any ideas/tips gratefully recieved. :flowers:

DSC04344.jpg

DSC04342.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh Marge, I am mad with envy. There are 59 people in front of me on the waiting list around here and the council's advice to me was 'put your name on the list but don't hold your breath :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to seeing your updates and how you get on with it :flowers:

Ooh Marge, I am mad with envy. There are 59 people in front of me on the waiting list around here and the council's advice to me was 'put your name on the list but don't hold your breath :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to seeing your updates and how you get on with it :flowers:

59 people! :ohmy: I think we were just lucky with timing as a few people have only just recently given the plots up. No waiting list though :unsure:

My granddad had an allotment for years and we had wonderful times helping him.

He had a comfy chair and a little primus stove so he could have a cup of tea and little bed in the corner for penny the old flat coated retriever. My Nan always said he spent more time at the allotment with penny than at home. This was always made the family laugh.

It is hard work but rewarding so I hope you will have enjoyable and pleasant times. :flowers:

• 4 weeks later...

Still very much a work in progress, we have dismantled and moved a shed bought from Ebay and obtained a 1000ltr water butt.

Had to have help only for the last move of the container as it was way too heavy for me to lift down the narrow allotment path. (Shed is on the pallets under the plastic sheeting)

227bcb29.jpg

This weekend's work was a bit more challenging as there has been quite a lot of rainfall :laugh: Ah well, every little helps!

P1080107.jpg

There's quite a bit of glass in the ground too, the green bag and two buckets held a lot of it :unsure: (Next door allotment has just been told to shift his stuff. There's rather a lot of wood and they've nicknamed him Steptoe :huh:

P1080111.jpg

The bonfire is getting bigger.

P1080113.jpg

almost level now.

P1080116.jpg

What we want to do is put weedkiller over the top half (where the bonfire is)and cover with plastic. The other half will be planted up and there will be room for our shed and an area for us to sit with the dogs too. Here's the veg plan, just a guide really. Swede, Rhubarb, potatoes, courgette, shallots, onions, leeks, cabbage, cauliflower and brocolli.

P1080117.jpg

today we added two more pests to our list. So far, we have to protect against moles, rabbits, red ants, mice, slugs, bugs and birds. Somehow, I don't think we will become self sufficient. :unsure: :laugh:

Not to mention mother nature! :laugh: Are you allowed bonfires any time? We are only allowed two a year in October and March I think :wacko:

Just a bit! :laugh: it is hard, but hopefully will be quite rewarding. :biggrin: If not, at least we will be fit :laugh:

Fit for nothing! :laugh:

I am knackered just looking at yours!

We didnt get to ours today as got back to late. Went to pop in on way home from MIL but I had forgotten the gate key, despite hubby remembering the tape measure :rolleyes:

I am waiting for car boots to get off the ground for a spare set of tools to keep on the allotment. We have use of communal wheelbarrows so dont need one of those. Its exciting isnt it. Imagine what it will be like if anything grows! :laugh:

looks a bit like our back lawn

my mum slipped over in the garden yesterday as it is so wet and slimy

That's what very nearly happened to me too, lots of times. :laugh:

Are you allowed bonfires any time?

Fit for nothing! :laugh:

We didnt get to ours today as got back to late. Went to pop in on way home from MIL but I had forgotten the gate key, despite hubby remembering the tape measure

We are allowed bonfires when the wind is in the right direction :wacko: There are a couple of houses bordering one side, so it musn't blow in their direction.

A communal wheelbarrow sounds great. We have borrowed one until I can get one from Ebay.

Don't get me started on the key thing! Sometimes our gate is open when we get there, but that doesn't mean it will be open when we leave. I wouldn't want to get locked in. :unsure:

it is exciting (I never thought I would say that :laugh: )

Poundland has some fleeces and other garden stuff and checkout Aldi and Lidl specials. :wink: