UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mooncups ( feminine hygiene product )

gooster

But.....wassit like when you have it put in or taken oot? :unsure: :flowers:

I've just had mine replaced and I'll take a photo later. It's really not that bad at all. Mine is a bit more awkward than most because I had the Norplant previously. That was 5 or 6 'sticks' and I was the first one my Dr had done (she was still training) and she made a bit of a bodge and there is a lot of scar tissue in my arm. That was about 12 years ago now. After that one I switched to Implanon, which is soooo much easier. They give you a local anesthetic in your arm. Make a tiny cut and it goes in as an injection, very similar to how they do microchip. Then yoiu get a pressue bandage (like after giving blood) for 24 hours to stop bruising. Which I take off after an hour cos they drive me mad, I'd rather have the bruise, and some of those sticky strips over the top. As I said I'll take a pic (just pretend not to notice my flabby arms).

I lost a weight when I moved to the implant from Depo (but I've put a lot more back on since, that's from eating too much crap though, much as I'd like to blame it on the implant :wink: )

The benefits for me are that my hormones are much less crazy on the implant, I was all over the place on Depo. I don't have to go the doc's after 3 months, which I used to stress about in case I forgot, and also if you have it taken out you are meant to revert to 'normal' within months after the implant, but it can take over a year to get it out of your system with Depo.

Oh, the other negative with it, you can feel the implant under your skin. It doesn't bother me at all, but that really freaks some people out.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re the mooncup, might be a stoopid question, but what do you do in public toilets or toilets at work, I mean you can't come out to wash the thing in full view of everyone!

I tend to only use tampons at night and find them uncomfortable at times, is the mooncup more comfortable and easy to use?

You just use some loo roll to wipe it out, and then give it a proper clean as soon as you can (unless of course you carry a small bottle of water to flush it out with) :)

OK, these are rubbish pics, but it is the most awkward place to photograph on your own!

This is it with the sticky strips, you can just make out the bruising round the centre.

with.jpg

Then I took them off and it looks like this

without.jpg

The cut they make is less than 0.5cm long.

I had this done on Wednesday morning. My arm has been a bit achey, and no heavy lifting for a couple of days, but it is no worse than having given blood.

One thing that is a bit odd, I seem to get different side effect each time. The first one, I had none at all. The second one I bled for about 6 weeks, then I went back the Dr and they put me on low dose HRT for a month and that stopped it, and it never happened again. This one I've felt a bit queasy since it went in, but I used to get sick (i.e. vomit) with periods anyway, so I guess it's related. The Dr said if the bleeding starts again not to leave it so long this time. I felt a bit daft last time, they obviously thought I was crazy for putting up with it for 6 weeks, but I didn't realise they could do anything about it. Plus, although I was bleeding, it wasn't like a proper period, very light and no cramps or sickness with it.

EDIT: oops sorry, resized them now. No, I didn't have to wait I just went straight on to an implant the day my Depo was due.

Edited by pboae

Thanks. :flowers: Unfortunately all the people who have told me about their Mirena probs were young, and mums like me. Two of them are relatives, so if there's something anatomically incompatible that runs in the family (I'm guessing here, I don't know that there is *lol*) I don't particularly want to risk the pain they went through when they slipped and half fell out. :unsure:

That all sounds quite scary - not surprised you don't want one - that would have put me off too. As you say. they're good for some people.

It's good to have both sides of the story.

I dont normally go into the gory details, but with my first Mirena, I was also my GP's first patient to have one fitted by him (and he was also due to retire that year :rolleyes)

He read the instructions and then placed it inside, bit painfull but so far so good. He then said that the threats are supposed to be cut at about 1cm ,and that's where he made the mistake of messuring 1cm from 'the outside' not the uterus

So basicly I left the Doc with 2 metal threats hanging out, got home and just laid on the floor in pain,which went down after several hours.I even got the ok for continuing to use tampons.And slowly over the next 10 mnths ,the threats 'dissapeared' but the pain didnt :( . So I went to see a weekend Doctor when I had another epsode of pain and he was shocked to find that the threats had gone inside and form basicly a spicky little ball :ohmy: so he removed it at once

And if that wasnt enough, it also caused damage to my uterus and I had a small surgical intervention to remove some suspicious cells ,3 mnths later I got pregnant with Joey whilst being on the Pill.......

moral of my loooooong story, make sure you have a Mirena placed by someone who really knows what they rae doing, it can save you a lots of pain :)

I dont normally go into the gory details, but with my first Mirena, I was also my GP's first patient to have one fitted by him (and he was also due to retire that year :rolleyes)

He read the instructions and then placed it inside, bit painfull but so far so good. He then said that the threats are supposed to be cut at about 1cm ,and that's where he made the mistake of messuring 1cm from 'the outside' not the uterus

So basicly I left the Doc with 2 metal threats hanging out, got home and just laid on the floor in pain,which went down after several hours.I even got the ok for continuing to use tampons.And slowly over the next 10 mnths ,the threats 'dissapeared' but the pain didnt :( . So I went to see a weekend Doctor when I had another epsode of pain and he was shocked to find that the threats had gone inside and form basicly a spicky little ball :ohmy: so he removed it at once

And if that wasnt enough, it also caused damage to my uterus and I had a small surgical intervention to remove some suspicious cells ,3 mnths later I got pregnant with Joey whilst being on the Pill.......

moral of my loooooong story, make sure you have a Mirena placed by someone who really knows what they rae doing, it can save you a lots of pain :)

:ohmy: *thud*

I havent been brave enough to try the Mooncup though do think its sounds good compared to tampons.

I was taken off the pill by my doctor as I had ????? (cant remember the bloomin name).......basically my boobs went all lumpy and doc said there could be a risk of breast cancer.

It was caused by the oestrogen in the pill so he recommended the copper coil.

I got it in 2 years ago and it was pretty sore with bad cramps for three days......I thought I was going to faint when getting it in.

My periods now are a bit heavy at the start and then drag on a bit with very little flow at all.

The one thing I have noticed over the months since getting the coil and coming off the pill is that my temperament definitely changes the 2 weeks coming up to my period. I have very little tolerance of things and would be quite sharp with the OH and sort of withdraw into myself.

OH can tell straight away and tends to give me a wide berth :laugh:

Doc said this coil can stay in for 12 years.