UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please Welcome Sam

Tilly1712

I've not been around much recently as my Mum passed away a few months ago :mecry: She'd been fighting cancer for about 18 months and one of her biggest worries was what would happen to her beloved Sam when she passed. I'd promised her that he could come to live with us.

So here are a few pics of him, not brilliant ones but I'm sure there will be more to come. He's quite puppy like in a lot of respects, but is 10 years old now. He's on a diet - was a whopping 26.9kgs when he arrived, which for a small border collie I'm told is rather large! :ohmy: He has lots of fatty lumps, but as they don't bother him much we're leaving them alone.

Looking at Sam often makes me think of other not-so-fortunate oldies that end up in kennels, or worse, because they don't have family to take them in.

Sam2.jpg

Sam6-1.jpg

Sam5.jpg

And my fave pic of him so far;

Sam1.jpg

Sam looks lovely, if a little portly. :wub: I'm sure the diet will be making him feel younger. Well done for being thee for him :flowers:

It is so sad when there is nobody willing to take in these lovely oldies. We have no children or willing relatives so have made mutual arrangements with friends.

Sorry to hear about your mum. I understand your concern. Two of mine are "orphanned" already . One was dumped at the pound and the other was kennelled for over 4 years.

I set myself a rule that I would not take on any dogs fulltime that were not of a certain age as i dont want any of them to outlive me. Sadly this doesnt work when people get the age wrong and I end up with puppies with grey muzzles. They turn up "on their last lags" and are romping about fields, bouncing about play fighting and robbing everything. within a week, as well as running up huge vets bills ..

So what to do? . Due to the vagaries of nature and bizarre political outlook ( ok and probably my personality....) I am " child free"

I have tried in the past to "adopt" suitable grandchildren in their 20s 30s --cut out the middleman to no avail.

But I have arranged for someone to move into my house on my demise, for any dog that has the gall to outlive me,. They can probably have my job as well- not a lot of money - but no actual work..

(note to self ..must try and remember where i put the instructions to the whereabouts of the hidden millions.)

:( I'm sorry to read about your Mum Tracy.

It's lovely that you've been able to give Sam a home "in the family", I'm sure both he & your Mum will be so grateful to you for that. He looks a sweetheart in those pictures & I hope you'll enjoy many happy years together :)

Oh, Tracey, he is absolutely beautiful! :wub: But you know I can't resist a collie :cool:

I'm sure he'll feel a lot better when he loses the excess weight. And 10 is no age at all for a collie so Cassie and Billy will be worn out trying to keep up with him. :laugh:

So sorry to hear about your mum :GroupHug:

But I can only echo what others have already said: It must have been such a relief for her to know that Sam was going to be okay and well looked after. He's a gorgeous little man! :wub: That last pic of him is my favourite as well - he's adorable!

Should there be a need (but thank doG there isn't!), then Kiera would, at 7 years old, already be considered an "oldie" :ohmy: I can assure you that 'madam', and her side kick Sparky who will be 7 in a few months' time, have got absolutely nothing in common with an old dog (as much as I love them!). It breaks my heart to know that "less young" dogs are so often overlooked and cast aside, I'd never have a pup but will always look for dogs with a few years on them instead :)