UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

october 23

Jazz

We had a dry sunny afternoon which thankfully gave floods a chance to recede. Fin and I had a walk in Langold country park, good drainage there so the paths were mostly ok. 

Retford is a mess, so many people have lost everything. 

In Retford area it is partly due to lack of essential maintenance. The town has had floods several times in the past 20 years, and nothing was done. £7m was allocated for flood prevention but only £50k has been used.  The end cost of this neglect will be far greater than if the rivers had been regularly dredged and shored up where needed.

How did the scan go?

We are ok thanks.  I put central heating on for a couple of hours last night to help the dehumidifier keep the house dry. May do the same tonight. It's not really cold, but the damp makes it feel like it is. 

Machine broke as it was my turn. typical. people behind me went to a different machine but I had to have that one they said. Eventually fixed so home soon after

wet here but back to basics with the pups housetraining. they were clean before it got cold. They have kept pulling different tops off so they are naked!!

got to get out of this depression. coffee and custard creams arnt doing it. was going to try jelly babies and liquorice allsorts but got to keep my sugars down in case I get a cancellation for my op

love to all x

Yesterday was sunny until evening , when it poured rain.

Had a nice day at the Ceroc  Scottish Championships.  My son and DIL are very involved with this.

Today is dark ( had to put the  light on) and pouring rain.  There is still flooding in the north east and more rain is falling on the already sodden ground. No trains are running north of Perth and the ferries to the islands are cancelled due to weather warnings.

Got a citation for jury duty yesterday but as I am over 71  I can ask for exclusion.

Everything still sodden here, no idea how Retford will manage through the next storm.

Hope nurse can be of some help, Jazz.

I never got called for jury duty, to my relief.  One of my friends did, and found it hard going.  He and one other guy thought the defendant might not be guilty, and they had to convince the other 10 who thought on no good evidence that she must be guilty of something anyway as she looked the type.  Several just wanted to get it all over with asap and go home, and my friend and the other guy had to be quite forceful and insist on discussing evidence as they were duty bound to do.  So against a chorus of grumbling and moaning from the dissenters, they went through it all and eventually managed to change all minds except one. This was a female juror of rigid beliefs who said the woman must be guilty as she was living in sin, and should be punished anyway even if she had not committed this particular crime.  The judge took a majority verdict, and acquitted the defendant.  It was like the old film "12 Angry Men".

A friend who did jury duty had a similar experience.

Some said that he looked the type to have done it but she  was  arguing that they were not there to decide if he did it or not.

They were there to assess if the prosecution had proved, beyond all reasonable doubt, that he did it.  it was a horrible case of child abuse. 

• Sad 1