UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October 22

owl

You can't avoid the standing charge. It is a fixed daily amount for  providing and maintenance of the gas system- pipes etc.

It the sane charge for everybody, regardless if usage. IN fact you pay it even if you do not use any gas.

You will also have a separate standing standing charge for electricity on your electric bill.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you

Standing Charges 

Average standing charges for customers on default tariffs will remain capped in line with the levels set for the default tariff cap from 1 October for a typical dual fuel customer paying by direct debit.

• 46p per day for electricity 
  • 28p per day for gas

Mice have come back with force after a very wet day yesterday. Am ordering an electric battery powered kill trap. Or maybe 2. No other way. They are not even hungry, they cannot get at my food, they are just destructive.  Mild temps, heaps of berries and fruit, population explosion.

Just found out another reason why the mice have been acting like a bunch of crackheads and fighting behind the furniture, shouting and swearing at each other.  Yumove sent a little pack of their new canine multivits with Wispa's last pack of Yumove Plus, as a free sample. Somehow the pack was under something else and I didn't see it until having a big cleanup this afternoon. They have eaten enough multivit to keep Wispa going for 4 days. 

Sorry to see you have the same trouble, Jazz.

owl, you'll just need to get a 'stable' cat with a den in the garden.. Ex feral cats are very good mousers.

Can you put wire wool in the space where you think they are getting in?  We used iexpanding foam in the holes in the garage wall.

If they are in several rooms you would deterents in each room

The mice don't seem to need 'food'.  There was no food on our garage but they turned a  pack of poo bags into shreds of plastic.

They repeatedly invaded my neighbour's land rover and chewed through the wires in the engine.

The problem with them coming in from the wild- we were in a crofting area- there is a unlimited supply.

Not committing to any more animals in view of my age and present lack of mobility. Also Wispa would not tolerate a cat, and we have a road at front which has hectic traffic at peak times. Main entry point seems to be round back of gas meter outside, cannot get at it without removing meter. Just caught mouse #40, electric trap being delivered this evening. The house is relatively small, 2 beds, living room, bathroom, kitchen diner. The plug in upstairs seems to have stopped activity there.

When we had the previous plague a few years ago, I blocked the drain and water pipes at back, that worked.

I thought you meant they were ignoring the plug in.  I am glad that is working upstairs.  Do't fancy a mouse in my bedroom.

My problem was slugs in the kitchen. They just seemed to come in , slither a few inches, turn round and go out again, leaving slimy trails behind them.

A combination of clearing way the old deck and laying slabs, pitting slug bait down and adding  a foam  strip of draught excluder to the bottom gully of the doorway seem to have stopped them.

How are you all doing? Im not in total agony, so packing boxes of donations for the rescue, coming wednesday to drop off a foster so clearing out. Seems a nice lady who has just started the rescue. got a disabled daughter. tara fits the recovery suit and elliot the buster collar for their spay/neuter on thursday.  Elliots hair has really grown. Hes totally merlins mini mee and Tara is Kevins lol

Love to all x

• Like 1

That's good.

Electric mousetrap is working for mouse invasion, going to get some more. Very tired today as 2 friends came to clear the loft for me and took everything to the tip. Wasn't even my stuff, a hoarder ex-friend asked me to keep it for her and of course has started hoarding again. All soft items, none worth keeping, and good nesting for mice which is bad news right now. Scrap man coming tomorrow to take a load of old radiators etc from one of my outhouses. So am feeling tired, but hopeful of less clutter and fewer mice xx 

• Like 1

Yes it is, and I am a happy owl. No sign of mice on counter tops this morning, cleaned them all last thing and still clean now. Got a mouse late last night in electric trap and there was one this morning. Treated myself to a pizza for supper, kept the edge to chop into little pieces to keep in fridge and use as bait. Working well.