UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October 22

owl

Me, still very lame but sleeping a little better. Wispa, gradual decline, keeping things as good as we can for as long as we can. 

Major challenge at present, horrendous invasion of wood mice. They can't get at any food, they are just all over the place. I am going to try a newer brand of plug in deterrent. If that doesn't work, electric kill traps. It's apparently due to mild autumn weather, lots of fruits and berries, they go into population overload. I have removed 23 but more just keep coming in, and they have got upstairs. It's far worse than the 2018 invasion.

It is a constant battle when wild moce are getting in. 

For everyone you remove there are 10 more to take its place. It is not like a captive nest of house mice where  once they are there are no more.

Unless you can find where they are getting and block them they will continue to come. in.

Ours got into the house walls though a hole in the garage wall. it sounded like they were having a party when they became active  in the morning.

I used battery deterrents to avoid having to plug them in as the sockets  were not where I wanted to put the  deterrents

I think the mouse in the kitchen may have come in the door,  as it stood open most of the time, for the dogs to come and go.

I used two deterrents in the kitchen, one  in each are where we had seen it.

It's a 1930's house and they get under the floorboards, which are the original ones I have blocked most ways in but they seem to be getting in via holes outside behind the gas meter. Short of gutting the house, replacing the floors and the fitted kitchen, not much I can do. Hoping the electronic widgets will help, arriving tomorrow. Also getting electric battery kill traps, better than old style mousetraps as very quick. 

Blackmagic, what kind of battery deterrents did you use please?

I can't remember the name. I bought them in my local hardware store.

They looked like these and were £28 from memory so could be the same ones.

I put one on the floor between   the cupboard and the unit , where it appeared and one at in the gap at the side of the fridge as it was behind the fridge and the line of cupboards next to it.

I tried traps with mars bar in them but they ignored them.

The garage one, I put on the floor out of the way about 1/3 of the way along it.  There were instructions about placing them. I think it said they didn't work through walls. The mice  were running along the shelves with tools etc on and at one point got into one of our cars where they enjoyed the dog biscuits.

When we emptied the garage, when I moved, we found the foam insulation around pipes was chewed.in places.

I notice these ones say to place off the floor but mine didn't say that.

• Like 1

Thank you, blackmagic. 

Really, really fed up with the mice now.  Would be bad enough if I was fit and well, but dealing with fragile Wispa and my own sciatica and a nasty knee injury at the same time is very wearing.

Thank you, blackmagic.

Plug-in mouse deterrents now installed. These latest ones broadcast 2 frequencies, alternating between the 2 every few days. Hopefully this will solve the problem of the mice getting used to them.