UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Job Update

gooster

Hi guys, just thought I should update you all on how it went today.

The practice owner is lovely, nice and friendly and I think she had decided what she was going to do before she even met me. I have been offered 2 days a week working there. No weekend work, just Friday and either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Have just spent some time looking into locum work for the other days, and registered with boots and specsavers. They seem confident that I can get enough work to pay all my bills each month. Given the rates boots pay, I would only have to work 2 locum days and it would give me more money than I earn now.

Need to speak to an accountant though to find out how much they charge for tax returns etc..

Thanks guys. Am still really scared though of leaving 100% job security behind and taking the plunge. The part time job hasn't offered me quite what I was expecting, however that is because it is for 2 days not 3 and a half.

If I work 3 locum days as well as my part time job, my wages will go up by loads.

I am the world's biggest wuss and hate change. If it wasn't for the management team, am sure I would be perfectly happy where I am. Not much I can do about that though, except leave myself.

Gooster, life is short, you are here once and you never know what is round the corner...life is too short to spend your time in a job that makes you miserable :flowers: you deserve to work somewhere where you matter and it isn't all about hitting targets :biggrin:

as for the tax returns, my dad is self employed..... we had an accountant do the first one and she charged him a few hundred pounds i believe, he has subsequently done the past two himself and filed online, the last one he had made an error and they emailed him to let him know he had put the figures in the wrong bit, it takes him a few hours at the most :flowers:

well done... you might worry now but as soon as you take the job your quality of life will improve by a thousand percent and you will no longer dread going to work - and as you are able to do locum work you are bound to get a good reputation and be in the position where you have to turn some down.

Thanks. I guess I just need to sit down with someone and discuss it with them. Have written a list of pros and cons for moving jobs. Most of the cons are money related and the pros are better quality of life. Suppose I need to work out whether it is worth the financial risk (which is small) for a better quality of life.

The last 2 jobs I have left, I was 100% sure I was making the right move for me at the time. This time, I am taking more of a risk, but if it works, I will have more money and more freedom. If it doesn't work, I'll have no money and a 5 day weekend :unsure:

It all sounds rather promising :biggrin:

Good idea to make a list and have a think about it. I left my last employed job to freelance more than 10 years ago and I worried that I wouldn't make enough money, but it's mostly been fine. Being able to work for who I like and when and where is priceless, as is being able to avoid office politics!

I think you would also be fine doing your tax return too. OH is employed and self employed too and it takes me a couple of hours a year to get everything together for him to do his return online.

Edited by Karen