UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Birds Do You Have In Your Garden?

Mommy Bear

DB has taken to feeding the birds big time. Apart from the seeds and nuts he's making twice as much bread as usual and giving them inside-out lard sandwiches !! This involves larding a slice of bread on one side, pressing it into a dish of seeds, same on the other side. They LOVE it. (unfortunately so does Mungo so when we let him out he makes straight for the feeders to see if any lardy bread has been knocked to the ground!!!)

We have:

Robins

Pied Wagtails

Tits - lots of different ones

Blackbirds

Thrushes

and this morning - Pheasants !

These are the ones I can identify but I have a book and am working on increasing my knowledge. :rolleyes:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have blue tits, coal tits and longtailed tits, robins, blackbirds of both sexes, a thrush, starlings, chaffinches and bullfinches, collared doves and wood pigeons, loads of sparrows and one teeny wren. I was worried about the wren, thought the cold would have killed it, but it's still around. Oh, and about four pairs of magpies, which I really could do without. We did have a quick visit from a sparrowhawk, but luckily for the little birds he didn't hang around.

We have blue tits, coal tits and longtailed tits, robins, blackbirds of both sexes, a thrush, starlings, chaffinches and bullfinches, collared doves and wood pigeons, loads of sparrows and one teeny wren.

We have all of those too except the coal tits - I haven't seen one of them for ages .

Over the last week we've also had a pair of goldcrests which I was very excited about as I've never seen one at close quarters before - they are such teeny birds and usually creep around the tree trunks so you get a glimpse if you are lucky. We've also had brief visits from a green woodpecker and a lesser spotted woodpecker. There have been Fieldfares up on the railway embankment behind the garden, but haven't seen one in the garden yet.

Reminds me - I must go and top up the bird feeders, they are emptying them faster than I can fill them at the moment!

Blue tits,coal tits,pied wagtails,goldfinches,green finch,dunnocks,spotted woodpecker,bramblings,wrens,starlings,blackbirds and thrushes,collared doves,wood pigeons all on/beneath the feeders.Also see treecreepers and a kingfisher and little egret in the stream in front of the house.A sparrowhawk swooped in front of me this afternoon clucthing a small bird in it's talons.Seen quite a few owls walking to work - barn owls I think.

Blue tits,coal tits,pied wagtails,goldfinches,green finch,dunnocks,spotted woodpecker,bramblings,wrens,starlings,blackbirds and thrushes,collared doves,wood pigeons all on/beneath the feeders.Also see treecreepers and a kingfisher and little egret in the stream in front of the house.A sparrowhawk swooped in front of me this afternoon clucthing a small bird in it's talons.Seen quite a few owls walking to work - barn owls I think.

I read that as if the owls were walking to work :laugh:

We have barn, tawny and little owls, sparrowhawks, kestrels, wood pigeons, crows, jackdaws, magpies, jays, fieldfares, redwings, songthrushes, lots of blackbirds, wrens, robins, dunnocks, chaffinches, greenfinches, tits (great, blue, longtailed and cole), bullfinches, goldfinches, house sparrows, lapwings, herring gulls. There are woodpeckers over in the wood but haven't seen any in the garden.

We have various tits and finches, sparrows, dunnocks, wrens. 3 squabbling male blackbirds and one female blackbird egging them on :laugh: Once a day a woodpecker visits the peanuts, and the mess he makes is cleared up underneath by 2 collared doves. We have pheasants and quail wander in and out some days. 2 magpies call in every evening to destroy the feeders and bounce on the wood pigeons. We also see a beautifull sparrowhawk eyeing up the doves, and accross the fields, the RSPB released a breeding pair of buzzards a few years back. Now we have a fair few of them just circling on the thermals above most days. Truly awesome to watch

sparrowhawks, kestrels, red kites overhead, wood pigeons, crows, magpies, jays, fieldfares, songthrushes, blackbirds, wrens, robins, dunnocks, chaffinches, greenfinches, tits - great, blue, longtailed and coal, bullfinches, goldfinches, house sparrows, starlings.

Last weekend there was a flock of bramblings in a nearby tree.

Parakeets.

What we haven't had in the garden, although they are being spotted around at the moment is WAXWINGS, I am so peeved!

Not in our garden but within a few 100 yards, woodpeckers (green and greater spotted)assorted owls, dartford warblers, nightjars, woodlarks, skylarks

Oh Wow, you are all so knowledgable. I have been consulting my book and I think I have to look closer try and be more accurate in my identification :blush02: for instance thrushes (fieldfare, song or mistle). I love watching them feed; seeing who's got issues and who takes advantage. I thought Robins were very territorial but we have at least two and they seem okay together.