UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anyone Up For Having A Go At Some Cryptic Clues?

Mrs B

Anyone any good at cryptic clues? And models of cars?

We were doing a quiz at a group I belong to last night, and all the answers turned out to be British car models (not makes), like Capri, Herald, Granada, Oxford – and some I’d not even heard of – Charade, Comfort, Westminster.

At the end of the night, there were four clues we couldn’t do – and as we won’t get the answer for a week or two, I’d love to know if anyone else can help me crack them so I can sleep at night!

Here come the clues …………

A Classic could be the scene of his triumph.

Foot?

Headline. “Goalkeeper turns ball and saves in tight match”.

Academic royalty here is plural.

Edited by Mrs B

:mellow: They are tough.

The Classic Triumph's I would have thought of would be the Stag, vittesse, Herald but no idea how that fits with scene

Royalty (Austin) Princess maybe? but again not sure how that fits with the rest of the clue (unless plural refers to the very similar looking Austin Ambassador)

Edited by Ian

Foot - Austin Healey?

We came up with that answer too ........ but it's wrong! On the night you are told whether answers are right or wrong ...... after that you have to wait!

Some interesting thoughts here - I will have to let you know when I have the correct answers.

Maybe I should give you a fighting chance and post some of the clues we know we had the right answers for!

I've googled all the Triumph cars and can't come up with anything that might be to do with scene. So I'm wondering if the answer is anything to do with Triumph??

Oh please give us some clues that we might be able to answer :biggrin:

Is there a prize if someone solves the above 4 :laugh:

Pretty sure that the first one might be a "Model-A Ford" The model A being the scene of Henry Ford's Triumph (First real mass production car - Triumph is a red herring maybe).

No idea on 2nd & 4th one, but the 3rd one is surely a reference to Bentley - With Bentley FC being the only car related football club which the wonders of Goggle could provide a link to when the clue was entered.....!

Good luck!¬

Looks as if I have set the impossible task here!

One thing about all the other answers was that they were always Models of cars, never makes - so we had a "Herald", but wouldn't expect a Triumph. So it would have to be a Silver Shadow for example, not a Rolls Royce.

Anyway, here's some Clues and Answers (that we know were correct).

Clue: Not the shortest route from A to B

Answer:

Scenic

Clue: He took part in medieval battles

Answer:

Lancer

Clue: This HMS was the pride of Queen Victoria's fleet

Answer:

Warrior

Clue especially for Snow: The RAF gets here with difficulty

Answer:

Astra

And what sort of prize would Mags be after I wonder ........... ?

Edited by Mrs B