UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sweetie The Rottweiler

Mese

Hello all

Im Mese (Rozlyn in RL) im owned by three gorgeous border collies , Toffee , Teddy and my little girl Gypsy

I joined last night because I am now a fosterer of a lovely Rottweiler lad

Here he is with my three BC babies , pic taken this morning , Toffee (my red and white lad) Teddy (my B& W lad) and Gypsy (my B&W mismarked girlie)

2-15.jpg

His name was Tyson (but I changed it to Sweetie because he doesnt have an aggressive bone in his big waggly body , lol) & he's 14 months old & he is huuuge , lol

basically he was bought as a puppy on a whim by someone , they couldnt be bothered training him and because he pee'd and poo'd in the house she shut him away in a shed behind the pub she ran ... now she's died and this dog was just left shut in the shed almost 24/7 because no-one knew what to do with him ... so I told them to bring him to me

he isnt housetrained & has zero manners , he didnt even know the basic commands like sit and stay , he is intact and details are sketchy as to when he was last wormed and flea'd ... but he seems in good health & is a real sweetie and just wants to play with my three dogs

He is mega intelligent ... in just a few short clicker training sessions he has learnt his new name & how to sit on command , we are working on stay and down and also some loose-leash training

Last night in the introductions thread I said how my Bitch was going mad at him , snapping and snarling ... well today she's been playing nicely , along with my other two dogs ........ a few times today he has tried to mount Gypsy and she fast put him in his place , he quickly backed down , it made me laugh, a big lad like him backing away from my tiny little girl , lol

Ive contacted two Rottweiler rescues , but of course theres no room , I realise its the same everywhere these days , its very , very sad :(

They have my details but until theres room the poor boy is stuck with me , lol

anyway a friend told me about here and how someone may be able to help me out ... with advice if nothing else :)

Hugs

Edited by Mese

Gypsy is my special angel ... my babygirl .. so not a chance hun , lol

Im in the Cheshire countryside , just outside Chester :)

I tell you , this dog (Sweetie) is so calm ... not like my reactive lot (well 2 out of 3 .. Teddy is my steady lad , the other two go nuts when people walk past the house)

This morning with the postman , as usual Toffee and Gypsy are going mad in the house , Sweetie is just sitting at the gate with me , looking bemused by all the fuss & sweeping the path for me with his tail , he's a little star (did I say little , hehehe)

Thats a coincidence , , his was the first rottie rescue I contacted :)

On his advice I also contacted Rotties in need

sadly both rescues are full (I mean its sad for the dogs who havent found their forever homes yet) , but with Gypsy settling down as she has im not too worried about Sweetie being here now ..... I just worry that im not the right person to train a Rottie , im too soft ... and ideally he needs to be in a home where they know the breed and can bring him up to be the stunning dog I know he can be

Hello and welcome :wavey:

Your babies are beautiful :wub:

Sweetie lives up to his name by the look of it as well :wub:

Pingu (owner of this board) has about half a dozen rotties (I've lost count) and is also involved in Rottie rescue - so he may be able to offer advice (on training if nothing else) :flowers:

Just had a major bust-up between Gypsy and Sweetie , with Toffee joining in to protect Gypsy and Teddy barking at the sidelines ... oh yeah , and me in the middle trying to stop Sweetie from hassling Gypsy

Basically , he hasnt stopped trying to hump her today , this time he backed her into a corner and tried again , she really went for him , he just kept on trying (I think its more a game to him , but Gypsy is seriously getting stressed by him now) Gypsy went nuts , Toffee went for Sweetie (defending Gypsy) I managed to get sweetie into his crate , he's there now whining like mad :(

Now Steve (my OH) has said enough is enough , that Sweetie being here is upsetting his dogs

what can I do ?

all the rescues are full , theres no-one else who can take him

This really sucks :(

If I can just get him to stop trying to hump Gypsy and sometimes even Teddy , all the time it wouldnt be so bad

I have to admit it is tiring having to constantly keep a close watch on him , and its not fair keeping them separate. Poor Sweetie whines if he is on his own , but Gypsy hates not being with me and does the same if im not with her

Im between a rock and a hard place right now

Thanks for the links :)

Is there anything I can do to deter him from humping , or trying to ?

All of my dogs have been spayed and neutered quite a while ago , so im not sure this is even a sex thing , infact I believe Sweetie thinks its playing ... judging from the way he was bowing and then trying to mount her , then bowing again , even when she was going for him

is it just lack of manners ?

him not knowing how to act around other dogs ?

I want to do right by this lad , he deserves the best , bless him

Edited by Mese