UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Guinness Is Fiv Positive

Mags

We're not long back from the vets with the news that Guinness is positive, Molly and Arthur are negative. I probably wasn't 100% surprised at Guinness' result as I think he's a litter mate of Porchse's.

So how to deal with this?

Just to explain to those that don't know, the cats live in a cathouse with a run attached. So they are effectively indoor only cats.

At the moment, Guinness seems perfectly healthy and in great form. He's a very sociable cat so I don't think separating him and bringing him into the house is going to do him any good as he's never been on his own. I also have three cat-hating dogs and a five year old son who leaves every door open. But if I leave all three together, am I playing russian roulette with Molly and Arthur?

One of the vet nurses suggested feeding Guinness in a crate in order to keep him away from the other dishes and vice versa, but they will still be sharing kitty litter and water?

Molly, Arthur and Guinness have been lively happily together for about 4 years.

Any advice out there for me please?

I am sorry to hear that Mags and realise that it's a tough decision to make.

My sister had a cat that was FIV positive and her playmate wasn't. They lived together happily for years after they found out (that she was FIV+) until she died of kidney problems. Her playmate never became FIV+.

Personally, I'd keep them altogether.

...if you could have two cat runs, rehome a couple of FIV+ playmates for Guiness.

Such a tough decision to make.

Mxxx

Sorry to hear that Guiness has tested positive Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

As I said before, we found out that Jasper had FIV and were initially really concerned, but after doing some research we discovered that it wasn't actually as bad as we thought and our vet said that as long as he remained up-to-date with his vaccinations, he would be just like any other cat.

It appears that the virus is transmitted through deep bites and scratches, so unless Guiness is likely to be fighting (badly) with the other cats, they shouldn't contract it.

Personally, I wouldn't separate them, but that is just my opinion.

This has some useful information: http://www.catchat.org/fiv.html flowers.gif

Thanks Mary and Laura.

Guinness is definitely not a fighter so I don't think I've anything to worry about on that score.

Strange thing though Laura, I was told that annual vaccinations were not recommended :shrug:

Thanks for that link Laura. I've had a quick read and learned a good bit. I'll have a better read when I'm less tired.

Thanks CT, I'm learning too and so far I've learned that all my cats can live happily and healthily together :biggrin:

Personally I would keep them all together too. The other 2 haven't contracted it yet and as they are not prone to fighting, it is unlikely that they will. :GroupHug:

Another one who thinks this too :GroupHug:

My 3 mogs also have Fiv and it is something I rarely think about. We have other issues, as in Baileys litter tray musings and Josies part time hairdressing designs, and as for Manuka, well she just has plans for world domination :laugh:

All normal moggies - I just watch out for sniffles and whathaveyou a little more.

Lots of :GroupHug: to your guys

Edited by Purrpuss

Just to add we have had 2 FIV+ cats living with my current 40 and sadly both have now passed on but I had to have all of them tested when we sadly lost a rescue Mum and 3 of her 4 kittens to FIP all were negative - we have mainly ferals but never seperated them

All my newbies are tested in house only so we can see if they stay on the insiode or are released in to our feral colony which seems to be expanding despite them all being done - must remove sign from bottom of track!

Was it just a combi test that came up positive or did you have Guinnesses blood sent away? The reason I ask is that my Brian tested positive with a combi test. They are known to throw up false positives sometimes though so his blood was sent to Glasgow where he tested negative. All the time I thought he was positive I was worried about my other cats but I had the best vet in the world and he said to forget about it, not change a thing and treat them all the same :wub: