UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Reluctant To Get In The Car

Ruthi (borrowadog)

Seamus, our pocket lurcher ?whippet/beardie? is increasingly reluctant to get into the back of hubby's Mondeo estate. He's perfectly happy to get into the back of my Berlingo van, though.

In a month's time we are going on our holidays ooop norf, which involves a four hour car journey. I'm getting a bit worried about this!

Any ideas? Seamus is 4-5 and healthy as far as I know.

I have the same problem with Ben, I have to hoik his front end in and he does the back bit, his is down to not liking car journey's ( although he's never ill) and , HD, his previous owners had no idea he had it, I've got that under control now but he remains reluctant, he has improved a bit by me putting the back seats down so he has the whole of the back and can see Spud and Daisy, previously he was in the very large boot, and they were on the back seats.

Is it possible your dog's had an unpleasant experience or hurt himself in the Mondeo ? just thinking , that if perhaps your hubby has had to brake hard he might have got thrown against the side, or even just had a fright, or could it be the Mondeo has a higher boot lip to jump into and he has a sore back ?

Josie, my greyhound, is reluctant to get in the back of my car.(Ford Fusion) But if I open a rear passenger door, she hops in quite happily. I did wonder if it was because one door opens up and the other opens like a door in a house.

Once in, she waits for her harness to be put on and travels fine.

Does he go more exciting places in the Berlingo than in the Mondeo? Does the Berlingo contain more comfy bedding than the Mondeo? Does Mum drive in a gentler and more dogfriendly manner than Dad (if dad corners enthusiastically, he might not like that...)

I recommend Liver Cake for houndies too lazy to jump into the car. It seems to be very motivating! laugh.gif

Mollydog went through a phase where actually, jumping into the car was SO much work, and can't you lift me in because I'm SOOO tired, and LOOK! I have a bad leg*.... rolleyes.gif Liver cake and an extra layer of bedding in the boot to make journeys super-comfy did the job for us.

* she does have a bad leg - actually, she has two - but it doesn't stop her boinging up a three foot wall for preference rather than going up the steps, so I knew it wasn't that, even though she waved her bad paw at me and made big 'woe is me, you should carry me!' eyes.

Edited by cycas

Is it just getting in the car that is a problem?

If so, watch carefully what happens when he does get in. Does he have difficulty jumping up? Does he land badly?

Would a ramp or step help? Try backing the car up to a slope or bank and see if he is happier getting in when the jump is not so high.

Or is he upset when travelling? Is he caged on the back or loose?

Can he see out the windows?

Does he lie down or pace about. or whine?

Louie was reluctant to get in the car when I first had him as I think he associated it with 'bad' things like changing foster homes and having to go to the vets fopr jabs. We tried to make it a nicer experience starting out by just sitting in the car with him having treats and taking him to fun places for walkies so he started to enjoy the experience more. Now he happily hops in the car.

If he can get in fine put something he likes in with him. Really good treat, fave toy. Just drive a little way then back home. Anything so he gets the idea going in the car is a good thing. I wouldn't advise travelling far with something that may cause him harm of course, something he may choke on etc.