UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Marmite Is Very Poorly

Sophie

Our Marmite-cat is very poorly   :mecry: So far two different vets practices have run all sorts of tests, but we still have no idea what is wrong with her.  She's stopped eating and has lost a huge amount of weight.  The next step as far as the vets are concerned is to take biopsies of various organs, but at the moment they think she's too skinny to survive the anaesthetic   :mecry:  We're desperately trying to get her to eat, with the help of tablets to make her hungry, but it isn't really working.  She's skin and bones at the moment.  I'd really appreciate any thoughts/prayers/reiki you could spare, cause I'm really worried about her :(

This is her in healthier times:

DSCF0233.jpg

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: marmite get better soon :flowers:

i don't know if it will be of any help to you (probably not) but a few years ago our cat went off his food, they did blood tests and xrays, all came back clear (they were looking for blockages) except for the xray of his head, what they had discovered was his head muscles had become thickened (myopathy or something)if you feel his head you can feel ridges (apparently they shouldn't be there), if we have to give him a worming tablet or if he gets hold of one of the dogs toys and bites on it and opens his mouth too far he will have a flare up.

it probably won't be of any help to you or marmite but just thought it worth a mention as it was discovered in our cat purely by accident :flowers:

Lots of good thoughts for Marmite.

I lost my 12 year old Birman cat in April,. he was literally skin & bone, a month before he had been diagnosed with a tumour, the vet could feel it, so pretty sure what it was. He probably wouldn't have survived further investigation, although he had blood tests which further indicated the cause. However, he didn't really go off his food until a couple of days before he died. I'm assuning the vet has tested for hypothyrodisism?

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Oh Marmite! I had hoped that Kynoch's would get you sussed.

They have so far been very good - they're waiting for some blood test results to come back before they go any further. Am rather upset with our old vet, who just sort of said tests show she's fine so there is nothing we can do, when she is quite obviously not ok.

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: marmite get better soon :flowers:

i don't know if it will be of any help to you (probably not) but a few years ago our cat went off his food, they did blood tests and xrays, all came back clear (they were looking for blockages) except for the xray of his head, what they had discovered was his head muscles had become thickened (myopathy or something)if you feel his head you can feel ridges (apparently they shouldn't be there), if we have to give him a worming tablet or if he gets hold of one of the dogs toys and bites on it and opens his mouth too far he will have a flare up.

it probably won't be of any help to you or marmite but just thought it worth a mention as it was discovered in our cat purely by accident :flowers:

Thanks - she's had x-rays and ultrasounds which apparently don't show anything amiss, but will keep it in mind and mention it to the vet.

Lots of good thoughts for Marmite.

I lost my 12 year old Birman cat in April,. he was literally skin & bone, a month before he had been diagnosed with a tumour, the vet could feel it, so pretty sure what it was. He probably wouldn't have survived further investigation, although he had blood tests which further indicated the cause. However, he didn't really go off his food until a couple of days before he died. I'm assuning the vet has tested for hypothyrodisism?

They've done all sorts of blood test, and I'm assuming they've checked for hypothyroidism, but will check. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Marmite went into the hospital on Monday, and has had biopsies taken.  She made it through the anaesthetic ok  :biggrin:  They've put in a feeding tube, and have kept her in to try and build her up a bit, while we wait for the biopsy results to come back.   She's an average size adult cat, and on Monday morning she weighed just 2.5kg :(  

It's now fingers crossed that the biopsies show something, and that it is something treatable  :unsure: