UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Allergy Free Dogs

one.eyed.dog

Girl at work is allergic to normal dog fur but, thinks she may be okay with a wirehaired type.

Which breeds are low allergy?

I am going to try her with my GWP and see if she reacts.

I think she wants a wirehaired JRT and she will want a rescue.

Ta muchly

Ellie x

It's unlikely she is really allergic to the fur, people who have allergies that appear to be to fur are really reacting to stuff like skin flakes and saliva on the fur. Non-shedding dogs tend to trigger allergies less not because of their fur, but because the non-shedding fur doesn't create a cloud of microscopic skin flakes.

You will often get dogs even from the same litter that provoke more or less reaction from allergy sufferers. I'm afraid the only way to be sure with any specific dog is to try it.

The Labradoodle Trust have a good page about dog allergies and choosing a dog when you have an allergy, here : http://www.labradoodletrust.com/allergy_info.html

How does she know she is allergic to anything. Has she had a series of skin tests to ascertain the causes of whatever symptom she has, or is just working an a series of time embedded surmising. I am ruling out the usual cause of dog allergy (needing to tel l a fib to get out of doing somethings)

Real allergy to dog is extremely rare. Dog owning can make an existing allergy worse- the dander harbours and encourages the human dust mite, which is the real cause.

When were her soft furnishings and mattresses last cleaned. In this day and age only a monthly UVC cleaning will start to make any inroads into the number dust mites in an ordinary mattress.

Has the family vacuum been overhauled?

Allergies are a bit like smelly wind --its easier to blame the dog.

They do suggest that dogs like poodles and bichon frises are low allergy breeds as they are curly coated but they take alot of grooming so if she hasnt got the time for brushing them out daily I wouldnt recommend them. Also as above it not always the hair that the issue but the dander etc.

I groomed a wiry haired JRT on Sunday and the hair was coming out of her with every stroke of the brush.

That labradoodle page I linked is not specifically about Labradoodles - it's about allergies and how best to choose a dog that won't trigger them, so is relevant to any potential dog owner who has concerns with allergy.

They recommend against Labradoodles for the severely allergic, and suggest poodles and schnauzers as more likely to be suitable. Both poodles and schnauzers come in small sizes.

Not everyones cup of tea, but what about a chinese crested?

I was meant to have one come to me a couple of weeks ago on foster, but he was snapped up within hours by somebody with a fur allergy. They are also an ideal breed for people wanting a lap dog. But like I said- they're not everyones cup of tea!

She wants a dog that will fit in her lap.

She pretty much fancies something cute and small and scruffy.

We'll see how she reacts after a couple of hours with my dog.

I mentioned crested and poodles and got a definate NO. Sorry.flowers.gif

She's not bothered about the fur shedding she just does not want to have a reaction.

But its great fun. The first time I cleaned am mattress with UVC vibrating lamp , I was really not convinced, but the amount of stuff that came out was amazing and looking at the little blighters under the microscope - wow

I only started taking an interest in hygiene ( other than was necessary in the music business) when Teddy Texas came to live with me.

He has a very thin coat and is very susceptible to all kinds of carpet borne problems especially yeast infections .

Suddenly I had to learn about all kinds of chemicals and machinery in order to stop him scratching. It was a quest that led me amongst some very interesting people mostly among people who clean up crime scenes, murder, suicide and those awful places where the drug taking is done ( they all watch CSI). All the stuff the Army taught me about dead bodies in the 1960s came flooding back.

Anyway I have managed to get on top of all of the airborne nasties, although its a constant fight. Teddy texas is not now covered in red weal and broken skin from itching, and its also improved my own breathing so much that the doctor reckons I may have a couple more years ( I have asbestosis), so cant be bad.

If any one needs and cleaning advice , help or machine loan, yard power washing, parvo cleanups or crisis cleaning in the house, I am always happy to help for free or for a small donation to relevant rescues.

We have just been donated two big poop vacuums machine, so if anyone is organising a cleanup give us a shout( if you are near Birmingham and I can get transport) Sorry just had to have a plug,but nothing ventured nothing gained

I hate to think what would come out of my mattress wacko.gif, probably best I don't know rolleyes.gif.

I think dog allergies are a very personnel thing ( if thats the right phrase) my niece is very allergic to red animals, ginger cats and my red Staffies had her sneezing and snotting in half an hour, but she was fine with Louie who was long haired and white, I always assumed that Louie's long hair trapped the dander that would normally set her off, he certainly shed a lot so it wasn't the fur that caused it.

I've also read that Shih Tzu are good for allergy sufferers.

A friend was okay with longhaired dogs- she had a lhasa Apso and a bearded collie without any problems, but couldn't stroke a lab or other shirt haired breed without her eyes and nose streaming.

I suspect that it varies from dog to dog, so could you persuade your friend to go along to a rescue centre to meet a variety of types?

I'm not usually allergic to dogs (but am allergic to some cats and horrendously allergic to all guinea pigs) and I've met a jack russell who had me sneezing and wheezing within a couple of minutes of sitting on my lap!

my niece is very allergic to red animals, ginger cats and my red Staffies had her sneezing and snotting in half an hour,

She is allergic to all short haired cats and dogs they bring on her asthma, my pair can also trigger it if I've brushed them within about 20 hours of her visiting, she seems to be okay with all other small furries.