UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

He'S Officially Staying

khanu

Well I've done it, I've filled in the forms and English Springer Spaniel Welfare have agreed to let Talyn (was Piglet) stay here for the rest of his days.

To be fair it wasn't a very hard decision although it was a somewhat painful one for me - I had planned for a very long time to get a working cocker puppy and had waited 18months for the said pup to be born due mid April. It was obvious though once Talyn arrived that I wouldn't have time to work with him (even if he didn't stay forever) and a new pup so I had to let the breeder know I could no longer take a puppy. I've since tortured myself by looking at the breeders website and seeing that the pup of my dreams was indeed born, but never mind, some things just aren't meant to be.

Instead I have a somewhat nutty springer who is definitely older and the wrong the sex from what I had planned! Fortunately he is very sweet, eager to learn and stole our hearts within hours :wub:

He's been through quite a bit since he got here - had his tail amputated and was castrated. Pulled his stitches out and had to be restitched and wear a buster collar for almost 2 weeks straight. He has taken it all in his stride really and it is a joy to watch his confidence grow and start to think for himself. His movement is also improving and his coordination over his back legs is much better than it was before. Only recently I've noticed he isn't panting constantly like he was when he arrived. I'm not sure when that stopped, I only realised he hasn't been when he started panting after playing with Breckin!

I hope I will be able to do agility with Talyn. I am hoping (praying) that he will measure medium. Although his fused spine should in now way hinder him according to the vet, I feel it would be a bit much to ask him to jump large, so if measures large we'll be sticking to agility for fun. I also aim to do some gundog work with him (and Breck) and will be looking at doing the gundog club tests.

I don't have any new photos I'm afraid, my camera seems to eat batteries and is too bulky to take on your average dog walk - I really should get a new one.

I do however have some of favorite photos of Talyn, and a bit of video footage of him and Breckin playing earlier today. The play is slightly one sided, but as Talyn grows in confidence it should even out a bit.

26298_10150143651200453_888825452_11675289_6877720_n.jpg

26298_10150143651825453_888825452_11675294_3878581_n.jpg

25217_10150150244300453_888825452_11873837_5359127_n.jpg

24977_10150155253240453_888825452_12003457_6438834_n.jpg

Lovely Talyn, what unsurprising news :laugh:

When Fleur first arrived, she would sort of play, and then pick up a toy when she wasn't quite sure what to do, just like Talyn is doing in the video. She is now a fully fledged hooligan, so I'm sure that he will soon get the hang of it :flowers:

Which dog is which in the vid ?

Breckin is the taller one with a tail! Talyn has an almost entirely liver face, much shorter and skinnier and has a little stump for a tail that he can't move. Breck has the white muzzle with naughty spots and large white stripe down his face. Breck also has a pink splodge on his front paw in the vid since he chewed a red pen and got ink all over him the other day......

Do you know how tall Talyn is? AFAIK the maximum shoulder height for medium agility dogs is 43 cms (17").

He is shorter than Breck (who measures around 19" and made it into large :rolleyes: ) It's hard to measure Talyn though as he worries so much and doesn't stand still very often. I *think* he should be under 17" but it may be borderline. Doesn't matter if he does measure large, but I don't think I'd let him jump that so he'll have to stick to UKA where he'll be standard height like Breck, or the "fun" classes where he can jump lower heights. Unless of course he jumps large easily in which case I may see how he goes and keep a close eye on him. It would be nice though if he did measure medium.