UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Transporting Your Dog

Spins4me

We've just changed cars and I want some ideas of the best way of keeping the dogs contained and safe. It's an estate type car. They have a dog guard at the moment but that's just a temporary solution. I'm not too worried about cost (for once in my life!!) but whatever I get needs to be robust and long lasting.

So..what do you use? :flowers:

Edited by Spins4me

I have a cage which was designed for my Peugeot Partner, it just slides into the car and if I had to take it out and store it, can fold flatish.

I love it, the dogs love it. It has a moveable divider and two doors in the front as well as two safety doors at the back.

29sep2.jpg

I have a dog guard and a tail gate guard, which basically make the boot into a giant crate.  I couldn't find a crate that worked well in our car (audi estate) as it has quite a high lip into the boot.  I got mine second hand from the fleamarket on agilitynet - it's worth having a look there as there is often people selling on their old bits and pieces when they change cars.

I have 4 cages in the van - 2 up 2 down. I like the dogs to be completely separated when traveling. Not sure what I'm going to do if we do keep Piglet, I'll have 5 dogs and 4 cages....

I've been looking at the fleamarket on agilitynet I think there's a two up 3 down cage on there - just in case you keep piglet :wink: :wink:

I have a dog guard and a tail gate guard, which basically make the boot into a giant crate.  I couldn't find a crate that worked well in our car (audi estate) as it has quite a high lip into the boot.  I got mine second hand from the fleamarket on agilitynet - it's worth having a look there as there is often people selling on their old bits and pieces when they change cars.

That's a great site, thanks for suggesting it. :flowers: I didn't find a crate but enjoyed looking at all the other bits on there.

In my estate car, I used to have a dog guard behind the front seat and back seat and a Barjo tailgate guard, it was great because I could open the boot without them jumping out. Two used to travel on the back seat and three in the boot.

In my current car I have a dog guard behind the front seat, another behind the rear seats and a crate in the boot for Timmy and Max (Timmy has to be crated cos he chews through seatbelts and I am not going through that saga again rolleyes.gif ).

In my estate car, I used to have a dog guard behind the front seat and back seat and a Barjo tailgate guard, it was great because I could open the boot without them jumping out. Two used to travel on the back seat and three in the boot.

In my current car I have a dog guard behind the front seat, another behind the rear seats and a crate in the boot for Timmy and Max (Timmy has to be crated cos he chews through seatbelts and I am not going through that saga again rolleyes.gif ).

Your seat belt saga is a lesson to us all!! (hope it's nearing an end) The dog guard and tailgate sound like a good option - will look into that one.

Thanks everyone! :flowers: :flowers:

I have the double back seat down, leaving one seat in the back upright. I have a 36" crate in the back, length ways in, for Saffy who jumps around like a loon and Neo just goes in the space behind the other chair with the headrest acting as dogguard. Not that he is likely to go anywhere. I am currently looking at getting a van or maybe a CRV type vehicle. I will hopefully get this crated out properly for both of them.

me too :)

I have an estate, if it's a short trip they both go in the back, on lead and then I knot their leads and have them hanging out of the car and bang the door shut. Just stick one arm through the loops at destination and open up and they can't run off. For longer journeys, I have the back seats collapsed and put Dex right in the back and Fleur behind me so they've got a bit of space. Still do the knotted leads and just get them out one at a time.

Bonnie and Tilly travel in a crate in the boot, Merlin and Ellie on the back seat with harnesses attached to the seat belts. When I had 6 dogs, Joe was on the back seat and Gracie on the front seat, both with harnesses attached to the seatbelts.

We've been to Halfords and bought a dog guard which was actually too tall so we took the legs off and strapped it to the headrests with bungees. It's v secure and will stop any attempt to come over and visit while we're driving. (they've never done this but better safe etc) We're going to get a tailgate guard even though they both "wait" very nicely when we open the tailgate but again better safe etc.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. :flowers: :flowers:

Bob sits in the boot or on the back (got a renault scenic) but when Scratchy goes in the car i normally use Melf :laugh: Scratchy starts off in the boot and Melf sits in the back trying to keep her there :laugh: luckily they only normally go in the car when going to the vets so its not too bad