UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

6 Year Old Bullmastiff Bitch

KathyM

Due to rather massive changes in personal circumstances, we are having to consider homing Dharma, our bullmastiff bitch. She is 6.5 years old, spayed, microchipped and had her puppy and first booster vaccines. She is in good health. She currently lives with another dog (a tidger) and has lived with others in the past too. She has lived with small animals and in the past cats (cat bullied her!). She has been raised around children, from when they were very young. In light of her size and needs though we would prefer a home with older kids.

If we are to home Dharma, there are certain things the home needs to know.

1. We will NOT rehome to anyone who uses anything but 100% positive training methods. No pack ranking, no choke chains, no punishment. While I uphold anyone's rights to train their animals the way they feel best, I know Dharma and I know she needs a home that has the same ethos to training as us. That is 100% positive, preferably clicker, no choke chains or yanking about.

2. Dharma is housetrained but this does not mean she wants to sit alone all day while someone works. If someone is working full time we expect her to have a visitor/break through the day and preferably a neutered male canine companion.

3. Dharma must not live outside. While I'm not here to argue that all dogs should be indoors, she has to be. She is a part of our family and if you don't have room for her in your house, you need not apply.

4. All homes will be vetted. If you live outside our local area, we expect you to have approached a rescue for a home check and/or have veterinary or other relevant references to back up your suitability as an owner of a large breed dog.

5. Anyone living in rented accommodation must provide proof that they are allowed a dog, specifically a dog of her size, in their house. This can be provided via landlord letter with contact details, or the phone number/address of your landlord, or a signed tenancy agreement outlining pet keeping.

6. We will be asking a rehoming fee which will be of reasonable size and will not come to us, but be a donation to Bullmastiff Welfare/Chris and/or BBAS.

I appreciate this sounds like the third degree but I also appreciate that any genuine home wouldn't mind carrying out these hurdles for such a cracking dog. Dharma is loving, generally obedient (lol) and would make a lovely addition to any family. We are absolutely heartbroken that we're having to consider this but hope that people here will rally behind her to help her find a great new home. If in the meantime I find any way around this decision, I will update regularly.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wendy.

We have had one bit of interest in her but it's too far away for me to sort transport out for meeting their dogs and therefore for backup should things not go well. I think I should basically point out that unfortunately I don't drive, so if anyone is wanting to home her outside our area they will need to have their own transport, or help in that regard. TBH people will need to have 24 hour transport with a dog this size anyway, it's something we've regretted not being able to provide.

• 1 month later...

Not one inquiry. Been advised to have her put down as she's "too old" for homing, that's a fairly common view apparently (the age thing). Obviously that's ridiculous but shows you how little help we've found so far. Just wanted to say thank you to those who said they'd keep their eyes open for a home for her as you're the only help we've got now and we really appreciate it xx

It's very difficult with bullmastiffs at present. I am trying to help a rescuer who has one in boarding, lovely boy about 4 or 5, just dumped and ended up in pound. If I come across anyone who can help with a bitch I will let you know, and perhaps you can give me a shout if you know of anyone who has room for a dog but not a bitch.

is she on dogsblog? we put a lot of our dogs on there and get a good response. Also don't give up..we rehomed a 5/6 yr old neo mastiff with chronic hip dysplacia, ligament problems and spondulitis..he went to a permanent foster with another dog, we just pay for meds to keep him comfy.

so sorry you are having to do this, but ( and i'm sure you wouldn't) don't rush it, the right home is out there it may just take time. Are there any breed rescue sites you can put her on?

Hi folks

Sorry for the late reply, I spent the day in hospital yesterday waiting for an emergency MRI (which I didn't get sadly!). I am pretty heavily drugged up now so if I don't make sense, soneone slap me arund a bit.

Bullmastiff Welfare are aware she's looking for a home, the wonderful Mel was a go between for me. I don't know of any other Bullmastiff rescues.

We are in Keighley, West Yorkshire and are in no rush to home her although as you can imagine the sooner she is settled in a great new home the better.

Margaret - thanks ever so much, it's all pretty crap but we have to do what's right by them. In all reality we will most likely have to rehome Sid too but at this point that is not the priority.

Thanks

Kathy

Not one enquiry so far. :( Sid had some interest, but they didn't turn up so stuff them. I'm beginning to believe there just isn't a home out there for Dharma. I have lost a lot of faith in finding her a home via rescue sites as she hasn't got a sob story for them to "save" her from so she's not interesting to anyone, and she's not at death's door so no rescues will help. Oh well, I suppose she's not getting what she needs here but at least she's loved, maybe she'll get used to not being walked any more, and then we can reassess what's kindest to do with her next year when moving time comes. Better than the pound I suppose!

Kathy, have you tried the Cinnamon Trust? They help the disabled as well as the elderly, and might be able to help with the walking.

And maybe if you make it clear when offering her for adoption that you can't walk her any more, that shows what plight she is in.

I think someone has already said, Dogs Blog is very effective.

Ruth

Thanks - I haven't tried the Cinnamon Trust as temporarily we have had to sort things already, and I'd much rather they were both in a great new home for their sakes rather than relying on someone else to be responsible for them when they don't own them. Unfortunately homing Dharma looks an impossible task. I don't even want to start expressing my frustration on that, I can't believe that the fact that she is a lovely homable dog actually goes against her getting any rescue help. :(