UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Toddler Mauled, Bullmastiff Stabbed To Death

Ian

Why a dog they wanted pts was loose in a toddlers bedroom, a vet would refuse their request to pts and offer retrainingg if the familiy's thoughts on the dog were true, how a large and supposedly so aggressive dog was easily wrestled away, chased out, punched & kicked then stabbed to death are all beyond me, sounds more like another clueless large dog owner and parent to me, but whatever the "other truth" around this story both this poor little girl and the dog, a French Bullmastiff have paid the price. sad.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1260070/Girl-2-jaw-ripped-family-dog.html

What a dreadful thing to happen, I really hope the little girl is OK Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

There are a lot of things that don't add up in the report, but newspapers tend to mangle the facts to fit the story they want to present unfortunately, so it's hard to judge what really happened. I do find it very strange that the father left his seriously injured daughter with a neighbour while he ran back and stabbed the dog to death ohmy.gif mecry.gif

reports in the sun are claiming that the dog was a neo not a bordeaux and that the other mastiff that was in the house at the time (an on heat bitch) did not live there but belonged to a family member and was visiting.

the sun also quotes the grandmother of the child as saying

Trigger had bitten the tot's uncle Gary three weeks ago.

She said the dog was muzzled, apart from when it fed and drank.

Alison said the family had tried to find a new owner for Trigger after a vet said he could not put him down.

She said: "We begged the authorities, pleaded with them. We wanted the dog put down. But that would cost us £180 which we didn't have.

so the vet wouldnt put the dog down but the owners didnt have the money to pay anyway :unsure:

terribly sorry for this child who is blameless but if the owners cannot afford to pts after their dog has bitten then how would they have been able to afford treatment if this hadnt happened and the dog was sick and needing treatment clearly they cannot afford a dog.

In addition muzzling the dog 24/7 would hardly help its mood and i assume it was neither eating nor drinking at the time of the incident. and yet clearly it was not muzzled.

as for the father strong words that most may not agree with but i think he should be charged as his actions were not done in desperation to save his daughter but in anger and as revenge :angry:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2905150/Dad-kills-dog-that-tore-off-tots-jaw.html

I said something similar when I first saw this / agree with you on that Mel.

It seems to me that if the Mail report is true he was "playing with" (or winding up?) the dog just before this happened. He "wrestled", punched, kicked & chased the dog outside - before or after he carried his daughter to the neighbours? - and then returned & stabbed him to death.

In some ways I can see how he might have felt upset, angry etc but the dog was not attacking or seemingly even near his daughter at the point he was killed and they do seem to have at best contributed to the problem.

I'm curious about the £180 - the fee to put both dogs to sleep & if so what had the Gsd done?, elsewhere someone suggested a well known rescue wanted £180 to take the dog in but I'm not sure where that comes from. I also think vets are generally fairly responsible people and find it hard to believe that they would have just refused to pts a seriously dangerous dog without reason and with a toddler in the house, then just left them to take the dog home without discussing rescue & rehoming options. mellow.gif

Edited by Ian

I agree the father should be charged, and banned from keeping animals again and maybe add child neglect into it too if the dog was *so* bad yet they still allowed it round their children.

Awful, that poor dog :mecry:

Mxxx

Edited by murtle

My heart goes out to the little girl, but I have no sympathy for the father. I know it sounds harsh considering the circumstances, but the man sounds like an idiot.

If I had a child and she had just been mauled my first concern would be to get her to a hospital asap, not to leave her bleeding with a neighbour whilst I went to kill the dog.

Mr Sim said he wanted to campaign for all dangerous dogs to be made illegal.

'This was a dangerous dog. These types of animal should not be anywhere near children. I have told the police to put down my alsatian Rex as well

If he feels like that, why did he have the dogs near his children in the first place? I hope, but very much doubt, that the police aren't stupid enough to kill the other dog who (as far as we know) is blameless in all of this.

When I was growing up my uncle had a male Dogue de Bordeaux and a female Neapolitan Mastiff and they both had temperaments that were second to none- and they were both rescue dogs that hadn't had the best start in life. I really hope this isn't going to cause the demonisation of yet another breed because of the idiocracy of humans.

as for the father strong words that most may not agree with but i think he should be charged as his actions were not done in desperation to save his daughter but in anger and as revenge angry.gif

I agree the father should be charged, and banned from keeping animals again and maybe add child neglect into it too if the dog was *so* bad yet they still allowed it round their children.

Awful, that poor dog mecry.gif

Couldn't agree more angry.gif

If that tw*t now asks for all those "dangerous" dogs to be made illegal, then what was he doing having them in the first place? They've not become dangerous overnight! I feel really sorry for the girl and so sad for the poor dogs - both victims of an arrogant idiot who doesn't know what he is doing and blames the whole world but himself. :angry: :angry: :mecry:

A terrible thing to happen but I'm sure unfortunately it won't be the last time. There seem to be many unsuitable owners like this with dogs they don't know how to treat properly and turn them into the aggressive and dangerous animals they never were initially. So sad for the baby but I hope the authorities take some action against the father in this case.

This article has been taken from the Standard and filled out a bit, after some removal... Local sources suggest that the omissions paint a different picture ... perhaps of a dog being wound up by a non resident father during an ongoing domestic. Drink drugs and grandmothers are also allegedly involved. It is also a well known murder area.

The pinch of salt that should be taken with this story would defrost Well Hall road.

But as a piece of journalistic manipulation - remarkable.

Hardly a 'dangerous dog' if he could chase it, punch and kick it, and then stab it to death and it didn't retaliate. especially given its size.

If he got the dog excited when playing with it it may have grabbed the child by mistake and not in an aggressive act.

A two year old's face wouldn't stand much chance against a mastiff's jaws.

An irresponsible adult more like and again a child and a dog suffer the consequences.

It is also a well known murder area.

Sorry to be argumentative, but Eltham does not have a high murder rate. It has become infamous because of the murder of Stephen Lawrence 17 years ago. But in comparison to it's surrounding areas (Lewisham, Woolwich etc) the crime rate is significantly lower.

Are you sure? Please do not put words in my mouth. If you read my post carefully you will find no mention of murder rates whatsoever. But then you go on to remind us why its is well known.

Edited by lester

I'm quite sure as I know the area well and have family that live there. I don't see how I was putting words in your mouth either, it was a direct quote. It's not really worth arguing about, I'm just saying that it's not a well known murder area- unless you were just referring specifically to the Stephen Lawrence case, which was an isolated incident.