UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Urgent Advice Needed

Laura_E

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no news from the vet unsure.gif

I rang at four and they said that the results weren't back from the other practice yet, we had quite a lot of snow last night and today, so I think that has slowed it down.

I have been checking on Jasper regularly throughout the day (managed to wangle the day off at the last minute) and he seems to have settled quite well. He did have diarrhoea (which he had done in the litter tray like a good boy), but I think that is understandable given all the upset.

The last time I was there my dad came in from work and Jasper went straight over to him for a fuss, so I think that has won him over. wub.gif

My dad isn't anti pets, but when our collie died years and years ago he took it really badly and ended up being signed off work for a while. So since then he has tried to distance himself a bit. But to be honest my mum usually has the last word anyway! laugh.gif

Thank you for all your kind words and thoughts. As soon as I hear anything I will let you all know. flowers.gif

Well the vet has been in contact and it isn't good news- Jasper tested positive for Feline HIV. mecry.gif

He has been very lethargic all evening and still has dirrahoea, but he has been interacting a bit with my parents and seems quite relaxed.

We don't really know much about Feline HIV so my mum is doing some research now to see what the consequences will be for Jasper.

I have to admit, I do feel guilty as I had wanted to take him to be vaccinated a while ago, but as he had a collar at the time I was told that I would have been breaking the law. I wish I had just done it now. mecry.gif

don't beat yourslf up about not vaccinating him, i think cats can carry the virus for years without symptoms so chances are he's had it for a long time. It's much more common in uneutered toms.

The main issue with Fiv cats is they can pass it to other cats.I think it's transmitted through deep scratches and bites though, so if he isn't coming into contact with other cats then it shouldn't be an issue. The symptoms he has now might not be related to the fiv, he may just have an upset stomach and be worn out from being out in the elements, but i'm sure the vet can advise you on that and you'll soon know if he's improving or not.

you might find this site useful

http://www.celiahammond.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=14&MMN_position=21:21

Well done for taking the boy in, and fingers crossed he's just sick from the cold and there's plenty of happy times ahead for him yet :GroupHug:

Thank you Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

That link was really useful. My mum just rang and said that she was feeling much more positive now having done a bit of research. She is keen to get him vaccinated and neutered as soon as possible, but obviously has to wait until he is fully recovered.

Apparently tonight he plucked up the courage to sit on my dad's lap wub.gif

Here is a picture of him enjoying some food.

Image005.jpg

...and here is a picture of his ear. Poor boy.

Image004.jpg

He is rather gorjuss and my favourite colour for a cat wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Your mum is an angel, though I suspect Jasper will end up being a daddy's boy by the sound of it laugh.gif

Fingers crossed he is over his poorliness soon Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif I bet he feels heaps better just having someone taking care of him.

One of my friends runs a local cat rescue and places a good few HIV cats, the main danger to them is secondary infections, if you can keep them inside (might be difficult with this guy if he's been used to roaming) then they can quite happily go on for years and years. smile.gif

I just wanted to say I once adopted a semi-feral cat who used to roam wide and far but once he was neutered and settled with us he never ever wanted to go out so maybe Jasper will be the same.

I also have a friend with a Fiv cat and she had her husband build her an outdoor run so at least the cat can enjoy some outdoors, she has a big old tree trunk and an outdoor activity centre in the pen and the cat loves it. I don't know if it's an option for your mum and dad if it comes to it but you never know smile.gif

Jasper is absolutely gorjuss wub.gif

He's gorgeous, no wonder you've all fallen for him :wub: An abscess so close to his ear must have made him feel dreadful - onwards and upwards now Jasper :wub:

My neighbour had two FIV cats but you'd never have known looking at them - hoping that Jasper is able to stay with your Mum & Dad :flowers: