UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Urgent Advice Needed

Laura_E

I also have a friend with a Fiv cat and she had her husband build her an outdoor run so at least the cat can enjoy some outdoors, she has a big old tree trunk and an outdoor activity centre in the pen and the cat loves it. I don't know if it's an option for your mum and dad if it comes to it but you never know smile.gif

I was going to suggest an outdoor run too - if your dad is quite handy with a bit of wood and a hammer they can be made fairly easily and you can put all manner of things in there.

You can also get systems like this one which attaches to the top of fencing which keeps your own cat in the garden and other cats out flowers.gif

Edited by merledogs

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your suggestions flowers.gif

I think my mum would quite like a run for him as she doesn't want to keep him confined to the house. Although, she was also worried that if she let him out he wouldn't come back. He obviously has to be kept inside for at least a month now though so that he can familiarise himself with his new home.

When I went round last night I saw that he had a nice new blue collar on, so I think that is a good sign that he is staying put!

He still has a dodgy tummy, so we are taking him to my vets at the weekend to be checked over again.

Once he is well enough we will get him neutered and hope that it will make him more canine friendly, as my mum often looks after Tess for me and I don't want him having another go at her!! rolleyes.gif

Sorry, more advice needed!!

As Jasper has a dodgy tummy, can anybody recommend some decent cat food to feed him please?

I feed Bobby and Molly Hills and Purina One dry food, but Jasper has been on Go-Cat for the last 6 months (since I have been feeding him). My mum didn't know if she should stop feeding him until the diarrhoea has passed, but she feels guilty and doesn't know if it will do him any good anyway.

Would Science Plan Sensitive be any good?

I would feed him a high quality all natural cat food such as Burns, Arden Grange, Autarky (for dry foods) and Nature's Menu or similar for wet food.

It could well be that the additives in the Go Cat are exacerbating his upset tummy so best to remove anything artificial from his diet IMHO.

Also, try mixing in about a quarter teaspoon of Manuka Honey in with his food as that is good for digestive upsets flowers.gif

Re the dog/cat thing - he may well get used to Tess in time, it might be he just needs to be allowed some time to realise that she isn't going to kill him. Gentle introductions are needed and if you post on here when the time is right, I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice flowers.gif

Yay for Jasper and all of you for helping him :flowers: :flowers:

My Bert was a roaming tom cat but is now a completely domesticated pouf and from the early signs I'd say Jasper may follow in his footsteps :biggrin:

Dylan has a sensitive tummy and is best on science plan sensitive diet bics and wet food and any of the high meat food with no wheat/cereal additives in it.No whiskas or felix muck for him :rolleyes: :laugh:

Just adding to that about the go cat Dyl's worst diarrhoea is if he manages to get his paws on go cat especially the duck variety and interestingly Donna who runs the rescue says her cats with sensitive tummies are worse on go cat too.Again the duck variety is the main culprit,the one with the purple label.

He probably has a dodgy tummy due to the fact that any food he is getting is too rich for him at present after eating rubbish for a while. I foster ferals and strays for Cat Protection and often or not they cannot cope with cat food to start. I mash potato and cook white fish in water and mix this up in small portions and feed 4 times a day. When diarohea settles I then introduce small amounts of cat food. Usually kit e kat is tolerable and then increase until solely on cat food. I wish you well in getting him better.

This may be controversal to some and I would be quite happy for him to go outside in a run but he must not have any access to other cats as he could pass the FIV on easily. Unfortunately FIV is on the increase and needs everyone to pull together to stop the spread.

Good luck and hope they have a long time to enjoy his company.

Alison

Thanks again for all your advice.

I went to Pets At Home earlier to try and get some of the food you suggested, but they didn't have much available. They said they should be getting some Science Plan Sensitive delivered tomorrow, so we will try him on that, but at the moment he is on James Wellbeloved (it was the best I could find).

Thanks for your advice too Brodies Mum, it didn't even occur to me that he would find the food too rich. We took Jasper back to the vets tonight as his ear was looking really bad and there was blood all over the floor and walls. She cleaned it up as best she could and said that she will try and drain it when he goes in to be neutered next week (he's been booked in for Thusday). She also gave us some paste to put into his food to help with the diarrohea and my mum did mix it up with some chicken and veg.

My mum wasn't very impressed with me today as I accidently left the door open between the kitchen and living room and it smells like Jasper may have been in and sprayed! I have to admit, it does really smell in her house at the moment! unsure.gif

i had my highly sensitive cat on the JWB dried food, he was on turkey and rice for ages and it really suited him but he suffers with constipation so we had to switch to a wet food, he ended up on a prescription food. he does suffer with the squits too, is it diarsynl(sp) paste you got given? the reason i ask is you can buy it online with no prescription required which may help with the cost of treating Jasper :flowers:

he does suffer with the squits too, is it diarsynl(sp) paste you got given? the reason i ask is you can buy it online with no prescription required which may help with the cost of treating Jasper flowers.gif

Yes that's the one. Thanks so much for the tip flowers.gif

So far there hasn't been much improvement on the diarrhoea front, so my mum is trying to reduce his food intake in the hope that it might clear his system a bit.

At night time he has been sitting at the window and crying to be let out, but he soon settles down for a fuss. He has really taken a shine to my mum (my dad is away at the moment) and she seems quite enamoured with him too.

His ear is looking much better now, but we are finding new war wounds every day. When he goes in to be neutered next week the vet is going to give them a good check over as he has lots of lumps and bumps all over his head and neck. It's funny, because his head is a huge solid lump and his body is quite petite. I know that un-neutered tom cats have larger heads than neutered ones, but I didn't realise to what extent!

Last night George, a feral cat that I used to feed (I give them all names rolleyes.gif ), was sitting at the back door when I got in. Since Jasper has been on the scene we haven't seen much of George at all, so I was so happy to see him (even though he was looking worse for wear). Unfortunately, George is a true feral and won't let you within more than a foot of him so there is no way of getting him to the vet to be checked over. As he is a pure white cat his injuries are really apparent. I have been feeding him for approx 4 years now and I think he is quite an elderly cat, so I am relieved to see him back as whenever he goes off I always fear the worst.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on!!!