UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Leaving Dogs

gillyb3

mecry.gif Firstly sorry if ive put this in the wrong place im still trying to find my way around this site.

I posted about 7wks ago saying about the lose of my 13yr border collie after long illness, some good news is that we now have a 8yr golden retriver from dogs trust and he settling in well biggrin.gif . Finding his feet around the house and the sofa ha ha.

I really wanted some advice about a lady that has moved in next door renting the cottage, she moved in two week ago and sorted out small piece of garden right at the back of the house (fenced and cemented the floor and now a 10ft by 5ft dog cage/run on it).

Then last week end two staffs dogs turned up, this lady goes to work 6.30am to 3.30pm and puts the dogs out in this cage/run with water and some sort of kennel ish. This was like this mon, tues, weds and yesterday they were out their for 13hrs, she doesnt come back to let them out and she sure hasnt walked them before or after being in there.

They look fine but they do looked bored and kennel walking.

This morning she has gone again at 6.30am so wait and see what time she gets back today.

Now im one of these owners that fuss over everything and yes at time to muchwub.gif i know. But surely this isnt fair to the dogs and why have them in the first place.

Is there anything that can be done??.

Its so sad seeing it everyday.

PLease PLease any advice.

Love gillian.

Ps i love this site but im slow working my way around it but your all doing a wonderful job and i bet the dogs love it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They dont have food outside the lady must feed them when she gets home or in the morning when she gets up, they do have water and some sort of shelter not sure its water proof thou, so while the dogs my look fine what about their brains?.

The questions is would you like to be shut up everyday like this? No walks.mecry.gif

It just make me so sad and to see them walking round and round at times, like the animals at the zoos walking backswards and forewards.

Im guessing knowing the rspca they wont do anything but was thinking of phoning them next week to ask about it, just seeing what this lady does over the weekend with them.

So upsettingmecry.gif

Love gillyb

Well it seems she has gone to a lot of trouble getting the yard sorted for them (in a rental) and she goes to work to support herself and them. Surely thats more of a priority than walking the dogs. How do you know if this is a fuulltime plan. Perhaps she is planning to go onto benefits and be at home all of the time to tend to them.

Perhaps they are used to starying indoors but the landlord has inflicted this sytem on them.

Do we know how old the dogs are or if amy medical conditions precludes much walking?

Have they lived in the area long enough to know it or is this some kind of sensible acclimitization plan?

In fact , what is know.have you ever spoken to the woman?

Perhaps she waiting for some kindly dog loving nearby neighbour without much to do to offer to walk them?

I dont think you should be ring the RSPCA , you might get at best ignored , told off or get a reputation.

Its not an ideal situation,as you say the dogs are probably bored stupid, but at least they are cared for. They have shelter,food,water,each other for company and room to move around so the RSPCA will not be interested. When she gets home does she take them indoors? You say that they look in good condition so she obviously cares about them. ouldn't you offer to let them out for a run in the garden at lunch times? perhaps play with your dog if they are friendly,it would give your dog some company as well. Its nice that you are concerned and this may be your chance tohelp them.x

I'm not sure the RSPCA would be able to do anything (not that they don't care but I don't think there's any legal restriction on how long you can leave a dog as I remember someone checking over a puppy). They do have company at least and shelter - but I would worry about how their staffie coats will cope with the cold weather if this is a long-term plan.

Have you had a chance to chat with the woman? Who knows what has led her to this, perhaps while it's not ideal, she's doing the very best she can for the dogs right now and would be grateful for some support/offer of help if you're able? Am guessing you are home all day to know that she is leaving them unattended all this time and not coming back at lunchtime, so could you offer, as others have suggested, to go in and see them?

I know you shouldn't have to but if they're friendly dogs and the woman said yes, it might be better for all involved, you included, if you could help? :flowers: You might find out why they are outside and hopefully you'd be able to better judge the situation before doing anything further?

Plenty of people seem to go out and crate their dog during the day, or leave them in a small room, with a break for lunch. At least these two have a bit more space than a crate and they have each other for company. As long as she's not leaving them out there 24/7 and she's giving them her time and attention when she is home and she's usually leaving them 7 rather than 13 hours a day(?) ...

It's good that you care and are watching out for them :flowers: and I wouldn't want to leave my own dogs in that situation, nor approve a home that did, so don't think I'm saying this is ideal, I suppose I'm just thinking she might have a valid reason for it.

p.s. lovely to hear you have adopted a new doggie friend - have we had an introduction thread?

They may not have much to do to occupy them but on the other hand there may be reasons for this. There is no way I would leave my current dogs with things like stuffed kongs because I know it would cause squabbles...... it could be the dogs fight over toys, food etc. They could be destructive indoors. From the sound of it they are only outside when she is out, and in with her the rest of the time.

While they have water and shelter I would say best to leave things as they are - especially as if they are staffie type dogs and end up being taken away we all know the rescues are overflowing with this type and they may be pts......

mecry.gif Wow i thought this was a friendly dog site, sorry but some comments are abit hurt full (lester).

Only if your were living here maybe you would understand abit more, So what your saying then its better to have dogs caged up for hours on end just to keep you happy and that it doesnt matter about their mental statemecry.gif .

Im sorry but this isnt what i call good dog ownership, most dog rescue centres say left for up to 4hours.

I will learn to keep my nose out them even if they are cold and wet.

I cant help this lady out, she does have a bloke that stays weekends, i think his a long distance lorry driver.

Im home all the time because of illness.

Im sorry i care so much for dogs and sorry i thought this was a nice site.

gillianmecry.gif mecry.gif

mecry.gif Wow i thought this was a friendly dog site, sorry but some comments are abit hurt full (lester).

Only if your were living here maybe you would understand abit more, So what your saying then its better to have dogs caged up for hours on end just to keep you happy and that it doesnt matter about their mental statemecry.gif .

Im sorry but this isnt what i call good dog ownership, most dog rescue centres say left for up to 4hours.

I cant help this lady out, she does have a bloke that stays weekends, i think his a long distance lorry driver.

To be honest I didn't think any of the replies were harsh or uncaring.

You have only had her with the dogs there for a week which is not a long time to judge a situation. It may not be what we would want for our dogs, and perhaps not the best for these guys, but it is certainly not the worst.

My dogs are, at times, at home all day if my OH and I are day shift but they are used to it and entertained at other times. They are quite happy and used to the situation.

Have you had a chance to chat with the neighbour and sus things out without assuming the worst?

Edited by sanrossscot

I'm sorry if you feel any of the replies have been unfriendly or unsupportive, I'm sure that wasn't anyone's intention :flowers:

I don't like the fact that people get dogs and then leave them kennelled outside for long hours without any interaction or human company, but the sad truth is that this (and worse) is the reality for many dogs.

It would upset me, too, to see them left like this, but there's really nothing you can do about it unless you are able to get involved and offer to help. It's not illegal to keep dogs in this way, so there's absolutely no point reporting it.

I am sad that you have that opinion of this forum, I do think some of your comments are unfair. If you read the forums regularly it will become apparent that members care very much for all animals :flowers:

I'm not sure anyone on here would leave their dogs in a kennel/run area outside or that they they would place a dog into a similar situation, but we don't know why the woman has come to build this outdoor kennel/run area for her dogs.

Have you spoken to her and had the chance to find out a bit more about her and the dogs and why they are kept outside? Are the dogs inside with her before and after work? Does she spend her free time with the dogs? It doesn't sound as though they are kenneled 24/7?

You're right, many rescues do say a dog shouldn't be left for more than 4 hours - but some of these rescues will also be a bit flexible when a dog needs a good and suitable home - and these dogs do have each other for company, which many dogs left during the day, don't.

I'm very fortunate that my dogs have someone around the vast majority of the time these days, but it wasn't always that way and we got our second dog mainly because I wanted my first dog to have company while we were out at work during the day (someone came home at lunchtime but they were left in total longer than this lady is leaving her dogs). Not that they were ever left outside, but they were left longer than many would consider ideal - indeed I was turned down by three different rescues - and I'm sure some people would have thought me selfish for having the dogs.

Maybe if you get to know her a little you could offer some suggestions about how to improve things for them over winter if they are to be kept outside still and you're worried about their shelter/warmth? If you don't have any success there and are still concerned about the shelter, then that might be the best option for reporting her, but I would look to find out more before resorting to that :flowers:

I hope you will stick around, because this is a place that cares a great deal about the welfare of animals :)

Sorry that you feel you ought to bracket. I an a mardy old git and its terminal . I represent the cynical unmoving bitter and twisted element on here, and no matter how I try or how many times i rewrite a slight hint of this comes across in my message,ocassionally.

I dont come here to help animals not for friendship. I believe there are other places for that.

If any one asks a question in areas that I work in , renting to pet owners, dogfighting prevention, wasting RSPCA time, "do gooders", I usually have something to say. It never includes plattitudes or shibboleths. I hope it may help in someway.

If its not what you want or expect I can only say ..." tough"

Sorry that you feel like people have been unkind, I am sure that nobody wanted to make you feel like that. flowers.gif Some times it is difficult to convey what you are thinking when you only have text to rely on as everybody interprets things in different ways, but I am sure nobody had ill intentions.

I can understand why you find this so upsetting, it does seem like a long time for the dogs to be on their own for. If it were me I would probably introduce myself to the lady and explain that I have a dog and mention that I had noticed her two dogs too. That should provide you with a good conversation opener and give you a better idea of the situation. If this is her long term plan for the dogs, maybe you could suggest some local dog walking services and see what she says?

I agree with the comments. I was one that answered you but I didn't think I was being harsh or critical or uncaring. We all care desperately about animals on here but sometimes ideal is not an option and we have to compromise. We would all love to be able to stay home with our dogs all day,I am one of the lucky ones who can but it wasnt always like that, but its not an option for most people.Its not ideal for these dogs,far from it on the long days,but it certainly could be worse and if you are on rescue forums for long enough you will see that all too often. It is good of you to care :flowers: but if you are home all day is it not possible to let them out for her? x