UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Milly Has Another Lump :(

merledogs

Last week my 2 had left over food from a visiting child and it was white fish , mash and parsley sauce

Noah does not normally eat "human food" but he licked the bowl clean and then nearly had the pattern of the bowl, It would be a fairly light meal for Milly and my 2 highly recommend it

Milly :GroupHug:

Ben has given her a steroid injection which will last 2-3 weeks, so hopefully that will improve her appetite. No sign yet though, she hardly ate anything last night and won't touch her food this morning so will be off to the supermarket at some stage to get her some fish in butter sauce. I bought a huge bag of chicken portions so am going to cook a load of those to give her in the meantime, which I'm sure she'll enjoy.

He did say something which gave me a reality check. I had always assumed that she would start to get really poorly and that when the time came to put her to sleep, I would know it was the right thing because she would have started to suffer and that she would be in pain. However, Ben said that it is likely, given how well the large tumour is working as a disinhibitor (ie stopping tumours developing elsewhere), that she will probably need to be put to sleep purely because the size of the tumour is weighing her down so she could no longer walk easily :( He said I should think of her as "lucky" because most dogs are really suffering by that stage, so for her to go before she starts suffering was a positive thing.

He said she may well be fairly bright in herself still, but the size of the tumour would affect her quality of life to such an extent that I would need to make the decision based on that alone. He isn't suggesting we do it now, but the tumour is still growing very aggressively and it is already weighing her down :mecry:

To try and remove it would be a massive operation as the tumour is so big (he estimates it weights 2 kilos) and so invasive - a much bigger operation than having her leg amputated as he'd have to take off her shoulder blade, added to which there is only a 50/50 chance she would survive the anaesthetic.

Edited by merledogs

I'm so sorry Alex. It's awful. We had to have our JRT pts because of the size of his tumour too. His was up his bum and basically his poops were getting ever smaller and flatter. It's very hard waiting it out. Keep thinking of you both. :GroupHug:

Hope the steroids help her so she can enjoy her food.

No idea what to say. I suppose the 'only' positive is that you dont have to decide on a level of pain suffering before making any decision :( :GroupHug: I do hope you have a wonderful Christmas and share lots of lovely cuddles and special times together. :wub: I bet Milly gets loads of pressies this year. :biggrin:

Edited by safneo

I've not really bought her anything Andrea cos I wasn't expecting her to be here still but I will have to rectify that this week I think.

I put a load of chicken portions in the slow cooker earlier, so she's had lots of chicken today, which she managed to eat although not very enthusiastically.