UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nightmare Scenario

cycas

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am back now, and have just been and picked them both up and talked to the vet more and also her insurance company. She seems very 'flat', though she did eat her tea with enthusiasm. Am hoping the flatness is just because she's been to the vet, which she hates. Tonja and her family have made a great effort to look after her though.

Apparently the hock was very swollen at the weekend. It was re-bound today and I have an appointment for Friday for it to be bound up again. She's on Metacam, which the vet says is more effective for fleshy problems that her usual Previcox for her arthritis, she also has an antibiotic, just in case the swelling is an infection, though it doesn't seem that likely.

She is on complete rest, which at the moment is easy as she is zonked out anyway - but I suspect will be harder in a few days when I need to walk Az but not her!

just catching up and saw your post in RMF about lifting the injured Mollydog in and out of the garden :rolleyes: Glad its nothing more serious but must have utterly horrible to be away when it all happened :GroupHug:

Is she doing any better with the Metacalm, and I think we may need a picture of her woe is me expression? :biggrin:

She's back at the vet today: I thought it was just re-bandaging, but they've insisted on sedating her so they can manipulate the leg. I wasn't entirely happy about that but they reckon they need to assess the healing process by wiggling it about while she is unconscious. :huh:

I thought you were supposed to starve dogs before sedating them? I didn't know she was going to be sedated, so I had given her breakfast but they said it didn't matter. :unsure:

She's getting worse about being at this vets, I've already switched practices once because she got so stressed after she was spayed, so I made them sedate her while I was still there so at least she wouldn't see me walking away from her. Vet fairly clearly thought I was being daft to insist on this, but I'm paying and she's my dog, so big fat bottoms to him.

Sedation is different to a full GA Nettie so it should be OK that shes eaten as she'll be awake just chilled out, given what we are going thru with Nog at the moment and now knowing just how easily a greyhound can do some serious damage to their legs I think the vet is being careful - we thought Nog had just sprained himself, yet he'd pretty much shattered the hock and tore all the tendons to boot so better safe than sorry flowers.gif Hopefully she'll be back home in a few hours making you feel like crap for being a nasty mean mummy Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

She is back - they decided to do another x-ray as well as re-bandaging and fiddling with it, and unfortunately the ligament has not reattached :( . The swelling is down but the leg is way out of alignment still: if it's not healing next week then it will have to be an op to pin the whole thing together :(

What I'd said about her getting stressed had obviously sunk in, as they called me in at 11 to pick her up as soon as she was stirring, so she was barely there any time, and I don't think she realised that I'd left her at all. :wink:

She's been very good really, but the whole 'no exercise' thing is starting to get very boring and she's still putting no real weight on that leg.

There has been quite a lot of noisy complaining, and it's really hard to stop her pogoing like a kangaroo on her one good (for now!) back leg if someone comes to the house. If I keep her on the lead in the garden she won't poo or wee until she's practically exploding (usually at 3am...) , if I let her off she pootles about at a speed that OK, is not close to greyhound top speed, but still faster than I would like...

The muscle is starting to visibly fall off her now she's not exercising : she's eating the same amount as before but you can see her backbone and her ribs more clearly now. (On the plus side, while she is losing muscle, I am developing incredible triceps from the Greyhound Lifting Fitness Plan).

Az is very woe, he doesn't like walking on his own much and tiptoes after me like a little worried grey ghost. :unsure: I think I'm going to have to look out for a suitable foster dog to be his buddy for a while. GLWR have a greyhound girly locally that they might let me foster as a buddy for Az: she's lovely but she's only 3: he's probably 11ish so there could be a bit of an energy mismatch. Also there is the concern whether they might try to dance together on Mollydog with her bad leg, or of Molls trying to join in...