UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Medical Pet Shirt

Fee

I posted on Sophie's thread that I was having real problems keeping her off her stitches, she was absolutely terrified of the Buster Collar she came home in and ran around the house in a panic trying to get away from it :mecry:

I managed to fix up an old T-shirt to cover the wound to some extent, but as her stitches were quite far back towards her groin it was very hard to stop her pushing the T-shirt out of the way and getting at them anyway.

I mentioned it to the vet when she went back for her post-op check, and he fitted her up with one of these:

http://www.medicalpetshirts.com/pages/44uk_photos.html

It's brilliant because it fits snugly and is very stretchy, but isn't tight so there is still air circulating around the wound. There's a velcro fastener at the tail end so she can't get underneath it to her stitches, and I just unfasten this when she goes outside to do the necessary. Best of all, she seems perfectly happy and comfortable wearing it (she hated the improvised T-shirt I made for her).

I haven't got shares or anything :laugh: but thought it was worth highlighting for anyone else who's dog (or cat) might need one, it's so much better than trying to keep them in a Buster collar for ages.

First of all I sniggered muchly over the pug in the leotard look :laugh: but it looks good, adapted t shirts never fit and have lumpy knots and all sorts going on to keep them in the right place.

I suspect they will be vastly overpriced though-will insurance cover them :unsure:

Hoping Sophie is looking like a proper little gymnast in her shirt and is not bothering her stitches :GroupHug:

I suspect they will be vastly overpriced though-will insurance cover them :unsure:

My vet is having a rather heated correspondence with some of the insurance companies about whether they should be covered on insurance. So far they have refused, but as he says it's ridiculous that they are prepared to pay £11 for a buster collar (or even more to have a second GA and a wound restitched) but not one of these. He reckons they'll cave in and pay up in the end.

Brilliant. Everybody laughed at me when I improvised with a lycra swimsuit on a bitch that had drains in from a mammary strip but looking at this pet shirt, I wasn't that far off the mark. Only advantage is that the "proper" version opens at the back for necessaries unlike mine which needed to be removed.

624092542_177a46eb1a.jpg

Must find out about prices for them.......

Many years ago, when one of my bitches was spayed it very slushy and muddy outside and I needed to keep her wound free from splashes.

After a bit if trial and error I came up with cotton pillowcase slung underneath her. I made two holes near one end for her front legs and sowed on tapes at the front and the back to tie round her, behind the front legs and round her trunk, in front of her back legs.

It kept her underneath clean and she was able to pee without any problem.

She couldn't interfere with the wound as the pillowcase covered it.