UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Refugeees Training Logs/Discussion Thread

purple_mog

At odd hours the cats are out too tho - and that's even more of a worry! :ohmy: And I won't be streaking ahead of you, no need to worry about that - my goal is to cross the finish line under me own steam and without help from St Johns (ambulance) :wacko:

By all means come round for a practice run, can always do with an extra pair of eyes to watch out for my hooligans (nevermind Finn and Farah - they're dead well behaved! :wink:).

First installment of training log: cycled the 2 miles to work as per usual, just pushed the pedals a bit harder! Lifts are out, so I take the stairs - and seeing as our office is on the 7th floor, that's 15 flights of steps! I've persevered so far and I've also taken the stairs when I went to the shop, so that's 45 flights of steps in total so far - more to come! :wacko:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't know we had this thread, and I'm not sure whether to be glad or not that I've found it :unsure: :laugh:

Jack and I have been doing an hour and a half walk after work up Cleeve Hill every day, I can now do it without stopping so am quite chuffed with that ... I really want to start running - something that I've always tried to avoid if I'm honest! - as I would like to try to do some half marathons and raise some money for H4H/Combat Stress ... we're getting fitter but I think the next stage is buying a bike and cycling to work a couple of days a week and changing the walk into a walk/run and then hopefully just run ... we'll see how much the lungs will take (and nope I will still be smoking, they are just going to have to work harder! :laugh: ) fingers crossed it carries on staying light in the evenings for a while!

Edited by sparkle

Hi Sparkle :wavey: Join the club!

Told you there'd be more to come today! Pootled down all 15 flights of steps again after work, cycled 2 miles home, walked dogs, had a quick drink and then set off on what I've been thinking was a 2 mile trot. I'm not sure if finding this site was a blessing or a curse, but I've found that it's only 1.58 miles! :(

Anyway, ran it, took me 20 minutes in all, inc stopping for traffic, and did 3 x 10 crunches when I got home (need to build these things up you know :wink:). After that I was ready to collapse :wacko:

I've got a training plan, which should take me to running 5 miles in 2 months, but I might tweak it a bit. The first week says stuff like "run 1 minute/walk 1 minute - do this 10 times". A) I know I will lose count halfway through (yes, honest!), and B) it annoys me when I have to stop running because it's been a minute, but I don't feel anywhere near like I've done anything yet. I had a look at another programme which basicallt says "run till you are so out of breath that you can't talk, then walk for as long as you need to catch your breath, then run some more". That suits me way better :) So we're back to the original plan, of persevering with plm 1.5-2 mile runs till I can run those without stopping, then build up distance, but kind of keeping to the regularity of the plan.

Once this gym opens I'm also planning to build in a couple of weight lifting sessions a week, to build up leg strength. How am I gonna fit all this in? What with this gym being open 24 hrs a day the plan is to get used to getting up at 5 and go to the gym while the guys are still fast asleep and walk them when I get back and/or run to the gym, workout and walk back :)

Sounds ambitious? For me, hell yeah! So if anyone of you feels like kicking my backside (there's a virtual workout for ya!) should it look like it's veering off track, I'd be most grateful! :) That, and this 5 mile run that looms .... :wacko:

Hi Sparkly One :wavey:

BillyMalc - sorry, no way you'd catch me doing a run - well, perhaps if someone was paying hoooooge oodles of money to something I felt passionately about - but believe me, it would need to be serious oodles.

So, back to the rowing - thought I'd give you more information - so prepare to skip to the end if you don't want to glaze over tonight.

I have had to learn a new verb "to erg" - you see you don't "row" on in indoor rower, you "erg" (unless you're me, the rebel, when you just row anyway!) Of course, if you actually row you are OTW (On The Water) rather than OTE (On The Erg)! Lost you yet?

And so to competitions. At the moment, I have the "Face Book Challenge" to do if I want - last month it was 250 metres, which took me a very painful 57.7 seconds which was forever compared to most folks - that's a straight male/female split, so fairly "unfair". This month it is a "how far in 2 minutes". Then I have my "virtual" team's intra challenge - which is 3 x 1000 metres, with a 5 minute 'rest' between each 1,000 metres, and the slowest one is the one to score - scoring is done according to the Nonathlon (see later) so is as fair as it can be. Then there is my team against the other virtual teams - that 10,000 metres - never done one of those before! We have to "float boats" - each boat is filled by memembers of the team who have completed the team, and must contain 5 people - one must be female (we're much in demand!), one a lightweight male (I think) and the others can be anyone! Fastest team members fill up the boats in order to give each team boat a ranking against the other team's boats. What else ......... oh yes, there's the Concept 2 Challenge Series - a mile for that one (1,609 metres) - that one is divided up according to age and sex but not weight, and I'm at the top end of my age category, and I've just scraped in at the beginning last month with a 4 minute row, so now score points every month for every event I complete this season.

Last but probably not least is the "Nonathlon" - by some very complicated formula devised by someone who has a mathematical bent and probably nothing else to do, we score across ten events according to age, sex, and weight - so in theory I can compete on a level playing field against a 20 year old male heavyweight. Events - 500m, 1,000m, 2,000m, 5,000m, 6,000m, 10,000m, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, Half Marathon and Full Marathon. I can do these in any order at any time to suit myself between now and the end of the Season (I think this is the end of April or May 2010 - perhaps I should really find out!)

Finally (if there is anyone out there!) there is the Online Log - basically you feed all your metres in, and, at the moment for example, our "Virtual Teams" are competing against each other in the Fall Challenge to complete as many metres as possible (we're 10th or 11th or something - but we do have someone in the team rowing virtually around the world in two years, so that helps). Individually, of course, this adds up towards your Million Metre Award and the like. :laughing smiley: :laughing smiley:

If there's anyone still there ........... I'm still in training for my 500 metre race on 31st October. So far this week I have done a 5,000 metre session - very speedy 100 metres followed by 400 metre leisurelies x 10; a 200m, 300m, 400, 300m, 200m set of rows with 60 second rests in between each (absolute killer) and tomorrow I have 300 metre rows with 8-10 minute rests - to concentrate on using my legs I am told.

Any questions? :laughingsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

Errr .... hello? :unsure:

Nobody training anymore or is everyone too busy training to keep a log? :unsure:

I've not been training, hence no log - up till tonight!

I've signed up for this 5 mile run, and I want to do a 3 mile one in err.. 2 1/2 weeks, so I thought I'd better get me skates on :rolleyes: Started off doing me usual 'almost-2-mile' run, but on the way back I kept going along the canal rather than up and back on the road towards home. I'd not been there in ages, so it was a nice change of scene (in the dark but oh well). :GroupHug: Loads of more sporty people are going on about 'finding their mojo' and I've not been able to find it anywhere for ages, but tonight I definitely found it! :biggrin: Did a bit of a Forrest Gump in slow motion: I just kept running! It wasn't a fast run but it was constant and I only decided to head away from the canal because I was aware that I wasn't anywhere near home yet and the guys needed their dinner. I'm sure I've done 2 1/2 - 3 miles, woohoo!!

Came home, stretched and did 3 x 10 crunches as well (who needs an exercise mat when you have vet bed lying about, lol!) - okay, it's not loads but it's a start - and I feel pretty damn pleased over all :smug-1:

Not so good news is tho, that the new gym's opening has been set back a month, till the end of November. Just when I was well getting into the thought of working out loads :angry:

I just kept forgetting to post here - sorry!!

Important stuff - results from second sprint triathlon (400m swim/20k bike/5k run)

The race went really really well, even though when I drove the course I was getting pretty nervous - quite a lot of long hills with steep final moment, strong headwinds and at the time very very rainy :mellow: .

On the day itself it was gorgeous, cool but sunny. The hills were still really hard and my bike was creaking so clearly feeling it too but given it was much much harder than the last event I did - am pretty chuffed! Will try and get some pics up later, and I have learned to avoid the free sports massage - the bruises are still fading

Results:

Pos 136/164

Female Senior

Total time: 01:32:35

Category Pos: 11/19

Swim (plus a long run to transition!) 00:09:53

T1 00:02:11

Bike 00:47:52

T2 00:01:32

Run 00:31:07

Almost as exciting was feeling really good afterwards and not wiped out :cool:

Looking at my results compared to other people, it wouldn't take much to move up, big differences are the bike (though I'm not that slow) and the run especially. Having said that I'm keen to look at longer distances next year at which point if I can keep racing at this speed then I'd be doing really well.

After the race have been doing some running (ran home from work, and long run on Saturday with a mate) and a bit of swimming - focusing on 10k on Sunday really.

Billy - I have one of these lurking in the garage where it has lived for over a year since I moved here... if you are still after something to help you exercise at home I am sure it could be arranged to transport it to you/meet halfway for a reasonable donation split between the Oldies Club and Ceredigion Animal Rescue and Education......

http://www.argos.co....%7C14419296.htm

Edited by buddyboy

Billy - I have one of these lurking in the garage where it has lived for over a year since I moved here... if you are still after something to help you exercise at home I am sure it could be arranged to transport it to you/meet halfway for a reasonable donation split between the Oldies Club and Ceredigion Animal Rescue and Education......

http://www.argos.co....%7C14419296.htm

Thanks Buddyboy, but errr ... no thanks! :laugh: I know what I'm like: I'll use it for a week and then find it very useful to hang laundry/ wet coats/ dog leads and harnesses from :rolleyes: so I better not take you up on your very kind offer :flowers:

Did tootle/run again on Thursday, after having taken the dogs for an hour's walk and necking an "Emerge" (cheap Redbull) while cooking dinner - I shamelessly admit to doping,lol! Had a stomach ache, so I had the rather odd combination of a head that was raring to go, a stomach that wanted to stay at home, and legs that were really too tired to move at the requested speed, but were propelled forward by the raring head :wacko: Having good tunes in your ears makes all the difference though; halfway through my mojo came along nicely, along the Manchester Ship Canal, courtesy of one Dieselboy thumping some heavy drum n bass into my ears :)

Planned to do a run today as well, but just couldn't fit one in. As I've planned a 13-or-so mile walk with the guys tomorrow, I'm afraid that the next run won't be till Monday now - I'm almost looking forward to it! :ohmy:

I'm afraid that the next run won't be till Monday now - I'm almost looking forward to it! :ohmy:

:partytime: I knew you'd catch the bug too!!!

Race report: woo hoo!! 10k in 1hour 2mins despite several long hills, only walked a couple times to drink. split time was 31.15/ 30.45 for each half!

Course was around Harewood House outside Leeds and described as hilly and challenging...on the plus side it was much more interesting that way and I'm more used to running on rough ground than tarmac, but the 1.5k of steady incline was a bit painful *ouch* First time I've run that far and I still loved it. Bizarrely I'm still running at the same pace I run a 5k, and indeed during a triathlon. I think I might only have one speed!

:partytime: I knew you'd catch the bug too!!!

don't hold your breath! I might lose it again before you know it :wacko: *thinks that she needs to sort out MP3 player for tomorrow's run*

Race report: woo hoo!! 10k in 1hour 2mins despite several long hills, only walked a couple times to drink. split time was 31.15/ 30.45 for each half!

Course was around Harewood House outside Leeds and described as hilly and challenging...on the plus side it was much more interesting that way and I'm more used to running on rough ground than tarmac, but the 1.5k of steady incline was a bit painful *ouch* First time I've run that far and I still loved it. Bizarrely I'm still running at the same pace I run a 5k, and indeed during a triathlon. I think I might only have one speed!

Good time missus! :flowers: So now you know that you can do a 5K a lot faster :wink: Come round to mine in 2 weeks to try it out? Unless something drastic happens, I'm planning to do a 5k on the 1st in our local park.

Done a plm 10 mile walk today, inc a bit of an incline - my legs were done for towards the end! Worryingly enough tho, the guys were still trotting ahead like they'd just left the house to go to the park! :ohmy: Fortunately the excitement has now worn off and they're both crashed out, bless em - happy days! :)

Woohoooo what a run!!! Just had the most perfect run tonight, courtesy of Emerge (cheap alternative to Redbull - I shamelessly admit to doping :wink: ) and Dieselboy's drum n bass hammering my ears on full blast, I ran for longer than I've run for a long time - and faster too! Just loved it, but I noticed that my legs were worn out way before my brain told me that it was time to stop; I'm sure my brain told me to go straight, but my legs nearly propelled me into a tree. :wacko: In other words: quads need serious work!

Unfortunately this gym now ain't going to open until end of November - which is a bummer. I really had hoped that I could fit some extra leg training in before this 5 miler. But I am looking forward to it now :) Just need to find some more drum n bass ....

That's pants Mog! But what did you call it when I was grumbling about that last time? Wasn't it a "planned rest week"? I'm sure that that is what you're having now :wink: Not a bad idea at all and actually quite a clever move after all the training that you've done for your 10K :)

I had another wicked run last night! I'm telling you, energy drink and drum n bass in your ears is the way forward! I've been trying to sort out how far I've run, but mapmyrun is playing up and being silly so I gave up last night :rolleyes: Based on what I could figure out I've done about 2.5 miles, ran about 80% of it and picked up "speed" as well; left at 19:30 and was back home at 20:00. With a lot of luck that would mean that I could actually finish that 5 mile next month within an hour, that would be nice :) (still well behind you Mog,so you'll still have to put the kettle on! :dry: )

Oops ,just catching up!

Made a very good move on Friday, taking the dogs to the Carrs for a walk of plm an hour, then changing footwear and doing the same stretch twice, running on my own. :)

It was dark by that time, and part of it isn't really a path (don't get excited Mog, it's just down a field :wink: ), and I was thinking that, if a rabbit had dug a hole there and a dog had done a dump, I would quite literally be in deep sh1t if I didn't see it - but none of that happened thank doG :)

As for why I don't multi task and take my dogs while I'm running: when I'm out with the hooligans I constantly need to keep an eye on them and their surroundings, for the sake of other dogs, people, kids with toys etc, and my running still isn't that good that I can effortlessly pound away while looking after the guys. Secondly, I do very much need my drum n bass in my ears to keep me going, and for the same reason that would just not be responsible at all when walking dogs. So dogs go out first, and then have a rest with a bowl of water in the back while I happily pootle along the Carrs :) Really loved it again tho, and ran for a lot longer than I previously had and thought that I could :)

There's a 5K run in our local-ish park next week, and I'm really looking forward to entering that one - unless it comes down in buckets in which case I'll stay indoors and sulk :rolleyes: