UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Refugeees Training Logs/Discussion Thread

purple_mog

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the book Mog it arrived today :flowers: which is handy because this week has been a complete bust. I've been laaaazy and knackered and have done nothing. And becasue i've been knackered my eating has gone to pot too - skipping breakfast, buying lunch at work, and evening meals have been haphazard at best. which no doubt is part of the reason i feel knackered. I'm hoping I'll find my motivation this weekend

As long as you're not racing me! Although the first one to be back home puts the kettle on! :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: racing - no chance!! And happy to put the kettle on, especially if you've made brownies :cool:

Thanks for the book Mog it arrived today :flowers: which is handy because this week has been a complete bust. I'm hoping I'll find my motivation this weekend

Am sure you will feel better soon, sometimes we just have to write a few days off and not stress about it :flowers:

In the last few days before the event now, not enjoying the lower training load much to be honest - though thats as much because I get antsy at the thought of putting weight back on :rolleyes:

Sunday was a long run (5miles) first time ever doing that distance and there were little hills too :ohmy: . Monday was definitely recovering. Tuesday swim, Wednesday run, Thursday off. Went to swim this morning to find the main pool was closed, so messed around in the little pool :biggrin:

Will bike a little tomorrow just to keep moving and check all my gears etc, then Sunday is the big day :wacko:

then Sunday is the big day :wacko:

Ooooh exciting! Good luck :flowers:

I have a day off today and C is on nights so we went off to a local cycle shop early this morning to go look at stuff. OMG the guy was so knowledgeable he had me sit on a bike, and got it all set up for me. Cost is a little less even than I thought I would have to spend. It took an awful lot of will power to walk out without buying one! I'm going to look around at a couple of other places, but I like the idea of going to an independant local shop especially one owned and run by someone so enthusiastic about triathlons and fullof knowledge - and he says he doesn't even do them, he is more a downhill kind of guy.

Enthusiasm seems to be coming back

:elefant: absolutely loved it!!! :elefant:

Total time was 1:29:39 making me 151 placed out of 185 :) Most importantly I wasn't last!

Unfortunately they didn't have timing mats for all the transition points and I decided not to worry about timing myself so as to concentrate on enjoying it :)

Times according to the chip

151 Morag Heirs Female Swim place: 84 00:08:37 Bike place: 129 00:46:45 Run place: 172 00:34:17 Total 01:29:39

I know the swim time was right, but bike time included transition of shoes, belt, climbing into leggings etc so I think actual bike was more likely around 43min (giving me average 17mph). Then the run again included racking bike, changing shoes so I *think* I ran the 5k in about 30min which would be my best time ever :ohno02:

Will upload the embarrassing pics soon :rolleyes: but the really astonishing thing for me was that I loved every single second. None of it felt terrible, I managed to run the whole way which was one of my goals, and it felt doable all the time. I'm pretty sure I could have pushed it harder, but since I still finished 15mins less than my target time, what the heck!!!

Roll on the next challenge and wetsuit shopping....

Well done! :partytime:

So what's next then?

This weekend I did a couple of slow easy jogs - nothing special and I haven't even downloaded the information yet, only plan was to get out and do something. I've also given up coke (well coke zero) since Friday. I've had a splitting headache since Friday night and have felt truly cack but resisted buying any when shopping on Saturday and resisted again this lunchtime. I hope I start to feel better soon otherwise I'll crack....

I've also given up coke (well coke zero) since Friday. I've had a splitting headache since Friday night and have felt truly cack but resisted buying any when shopping on Saturday and resisted again this lunchtime. I hope I start to feel better soon otherwise I'll crack....

oooooh I quit my coke habit :laugh: earlier this year and I agree, the first 3-4 days are truly awful but it really does get better. Make sure you drink plenty water, other nice tasting drinks and do take a basic painkiller for the withdrawal headache - make sure its not something like Anadin though as they usually have caffeine which undoes your excellent work :rolleyes:

Next challenge is 10k run on 18th October, but am looking at late season sprints and wondering about doing another one before the end of the year....

oooooh I quit my coke habit :laugh: earlier this year and I agree, the first 3-4 days are truly awful but it really does get better. Make sure you drink plenty water, other nice tasting drinks and do take a basic painkiller for the withdrawal headache - make sure its not something like Anadin though as they usually have caffeine which undoes your excellent work :rolleyes:

Right now I am ready to kill someone, all of our painkillers contain caffeine, I'm assuming it helps the uptake of aspirin or paracetamol or something :rolleyes:

okay - actually have just found a sprint distance on the 4th October which is drivable from my house again (near to Hull) so am deciding about entering it *bounce bounce* and now I have a target to beat too!

Exciting :biggrin:

I need to find a sprint for the new year so I can start planning and getting excited. Getting excited over creating a base running fitness is proving difficult :rolleyes: Going to trawl cycle shops and local leisure centres to look at bikes and pools though on Saturday

Well done Mog, and great pics! :partytime:

No way am I able (or willing for that matter!) to give up caffeine - I live on the stuff! In fact, Sparks and Kiera know that there is no point in even trying to get me to move in the morning before I've downed my first mug of strong, sweet, black coffee :D

As you will expect from my lack of entries, my "training" is going abysmal :wacko:

Last week I seriously didn't have any time at all, and on the one night that I could have gone for a run it was very nice weather, so I opted for taking the hooligans for a nice long walk instead.

Last Saturday we went up Moel Famau again, that was an approx 10 mile walk, so at least some exercise, but on Sunday Sparks ended up in a fight, with a punctured leg as a result. So Sparks is on lead walks, and a lamp shade round his neck when I'm not in - which makes me not want to leave him unless I really have to :rolleyes: How do you fit all this training in, what with work and dogs? I just feel awfully guilty about leaving them after they've already been at home all day while I've been at work :(

I'm still thinking of doing this 5K a week on Sunday, and I'll get an awful time. But obviously the advantage of that is that it can only go better the next time :)

Well done Mog! You look so pleased at the end :)

Billy I wasn't really giving up caffeine so much as giving up coke! The caffeine withdrawal is a happy side effect :angry: which is still ongoing sadly. Nearly cracked today but managed to to stick with water all day at work without pinching any of my colleagues - she keeps a load in the fridge as she has just as big a habit as me.

I am mightily in awe of all your strenuous efforts.

Very well done Mog - glad you enjoyed yourself and are going to have another go soon.

I just don't fit into the category of someone who could do triathlons (the slowest swimmer out, not fussed on running at the best of times - cycling maybe) but can admire you all from afar - and suspect my fitness efforts fall into a different category completely. :laugh:

However, I have made the decision that I am saying nothing about any training or lack of that I may or may not be doing before I take part in the Rowing Competition at work - four weeks on Thursday. :ohmy:

Rowing to Raise Funds for Wiccaweys and Dogstar

That way no-one can have an unfair advantage on the knowledge front. :)

How do you fit all this training in, what with work and dogs? I just feel awfully guilty about leaving them after they've already been at home all day while I've been at work :(

I'm still thinking of doing this 5K a week on Sunday, and I'll get an awful time. But obviously the advantage of that is that it can only go better the next time :)

I think you should absolutely do the 5k but if you need to use walk breaks do them from the start - makes it feel much easier by the end!

As for how I fit it in....not entirely sure sometimes! But almost all my running is with the dogs which does help. I swim less because I can't fit the dogs in with that (neither of them like swimming :( ) and a lot of my bike rides I can do as part of my commute to work. Its about a 4.5miles bike to work each way and sometimes I try to come home a longer route to fit in a decent ride. Then weekends I aim for a longer bike ride (2hrs ish) and a longer run on the Sat/Sun.

I would like to think about training for middle distance next year but I know I'll find it hard to get the time for the bike training :unsure:

I am mightily in awe of all your strenuous efforts.

However, I have made the decision that I am saying nothing about any training or lack of that I may or may not be doing before I take part in the Rowing Competition at work - four weeks on Thursday. :ohmy:

That way no-one can have an unfair advantage on the knowledge front. :)

Hmmm suppose that makes sense BUT I do think we deserve a summary of your training to be posted up after the event :biggrin: